Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#34,701 ·
Man that sucks Jeff :thumbdown: I was always concerned with damage to the R&P and locker with 30 spline or chromoly shafts. Seems if you get twisted up that force has to go somewhere and I'd rather blow stock axle shafts/u-joints than something in the diff. They're easy enough to swap out on the trail and used ones are had cheap enough to keep a few as spares.
Having ready access to spares is one reason I stuck with 27 spline.

Mark (progear) said he has general used chromo inner shafts and stock outers. There are pros and cons to using the "fuse" theory but no matter how you build some one thing has to be the weakest part. To me it seems better if it's cheap one.

#34,707 ·
If i recall, it went out when you were driving AWAY from that lil obstacle. You were basically on a simple itty bitty wash climb so if you needed a spotter for that, it was the driver...
There was a shopping cart in my way.

#34,708 ·
LMAO . That was a good one. bt, if your ARB failed before it blew out your ring/pinion which I dont really see how, you might wanna get the housing trussed. Thin walled dana 30's and crazy strong ARB's dont mix well. Thats why my ARB started walking out. I lost my preload. Get one of those sexy Arctec trusses. That way you can also glue some tuperware to the top of it to store a solenoid or something.. Think of the possibilities

#34,709 ·
Anyone have any front shocks laying around I can use? I don't want to get into swapping towers or some other fancy mods; maybe next year.

With the axle hanging the distance ,mount to mount, is just shy of 28" The distance to the bump stop is 9 1/2 so I need about 10" of travel.

The old shocks were acting as limiting straps. The axle dropped about 2 1/2 inches further with them off.

#34,715 ·
why would you rebuilt an engine just because the water pump went out? Did you drive it another 5 miles with no water in it and temps were pegged? Was the pump just leaking through the weap hole? Details please.
Water pump blew up, I assume the bearing inside of it let go, the fan wobbled around and took a chunk out of the top of the radiator shroud. I am hoping the radiator made it out without damage...

Serpentine belt of course got tossed out of place when that happened, only drove it about a mile with no water pump, and the engine was cold (half of that was with the engine off to keep from draining my brand new battery). The thing has 188K miles on it, so I'm wondering if it will be fine for a long time with just replacing some parts here and there, or if I should just go through and rebuild the entire thing and not worry about it.

#34,716 ·
depends how much money you have. 188k is up there but if the motor is still sound, why bother? Replace the pump, inspect the radiator. Do a flush of your cooling system while your there and get a new therm. Throw it all together and I bet it'll be just fine.. If the tired engine is concerning, start saving some money for that day but I dont think that day is any time soon. And btw, dont buy autozone crap. Get it from the dealer. Make it last.

#34,718 ·
my 97 has 126k miles on it. only thing on my jeep that isnt moded in some way. Hell, I still have the original plug wires. going uphill on highways (8 near Alpine) it has a hard time sometimes but I do have about 400 extra lbs on it. Give or take a little. When it goes it goes. It'll be a Gen III V8 at that point.

#34,719 ·
Hey guys,

I haven't been on in a while but stopping by to say hello and ask for assistance. It looks like my 06 TJ is the latest victim of bad tappets(lifters) and may have plagued the CAM. Don't know for sure yet. I like to DIY but don't know how confident I am ripping the head off myself. Who would you go to in town for major engine work? I'm in the Southbay but would tow where needed for peace of mind on the repair. Or if anyone is skilled on this job and wants to assist me for a little extra cash I'm game. Any thoughts??

#34,720 ·
Water pump blew up, I assume the bearing inside of it let go, the fan wobbled around and took a chunk out of the top of the radiator shroud. I am hoping the radiator made it out without damage...

Serpentine belt of course got tossed out of place when that happened, only drove it about a mile with no water pump, and the engine was cold (half of that was with the engine off to keep from draining my brand new battery). The thing has 188K miles on it, so I'm wondering if it will be fine for a long time with just replacing some parts here and there, or if I should just go through and rebuild the entire thing and not worry about it.
I'm sure it's fine. Throw a new pump on it and keep trucking. Fyi I have well over 230k on my motor. I've had plenty of cars with over 300k. It's all in regular maintenance, how you drive and sometimes dumb luck