San Diego Area - Page 1733 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #25981
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
I should see if my sister in law in Ramona (where I'm moving my jeep to tmrw) would host a Jeep GTG. Neither of them own a jeep but they have plenty of land to BBQ on and work on Jeeps haha :P

Good acre or so.
That sure makes it easy for me

Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #25982
carnell
1986 CJ7 

Headed out to LW today for the first time. The plan was to head out to the desert but a few of the guys were running late. Now I know why the Marines rely on the Sailors to take them places.... we can get them there on time!!!!

We ran into a group of FJ's who told my Marine buddy's of a mud hole. An hour later after their jeeps are caked with mud, they start to overheat... My CJ is clean and running cool. We had a good time. Wanted to look around a little more but the overheating jeep needed off the trail.

Maybe next week....
jeeps-front.jpg   screen-shot-2012-01-28-6.28.54-pm.jpg  
carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #25983
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was out there yesterday with speed-freak and we found some pretty serious climbs with deep ruts and 3 foot boulders that we decided to save for another day. If anybody wants to head out tomorrow I'm sure we could find them. They were on the complete other side of north gate that over looks the golf course.
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #25984
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Steve, whats the location of the home depot ?
The one on Balboa at Clairemont Dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
How many amps was that machine? Looking for a 40 or 50 amp, I cut a lot of thick aluminum so I need a big one..just curious.
It was a 20 I believe, not quite enough for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
BTW anybody have any suspension springs and shocks for a lift about 3" for cheap? I need to do something to the the Jeep temporarily to get some travel until I do the Coilovers, tired of bouncing off the bumpstops all friggin day long. its getting REALLY old.

Anybody?
I have a set of 4" springs you can have, no shocks though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What do you think of my new Samari axle?
It looks,

schizophrenic
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #25985
Delta347
T-Rex Bait

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep

That sure makes it easy for me
Do you live in Ramona?
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #25986
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Do you live in Ramona?
Yep, right off the 67 near Mt Woodson.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #25987
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I don't like the angle of the U-bolts, or how steep the front of the leaf sits...shackle angle looks wierd, could be the pics though.... and do yourself a favor, run crossover steering, I have inverted T similar to that, it sucks.

there are people making histeer arms for the BJ knuckles if you need them... look around on pirate.

other than that it looks very cool. wide axles make me happy. any plan to delete the disconnect axle?

sorry about the GTG rik..few really seemed interested or available on such short notice, I am game for friday? Stone?

we worked on my junk until around 1120pm at Joe's...but finally got the shocks in.

joe has pics on his camera when he gets around to it.

I am posting this at 424 am because when the power came back on at my house, the fire alarm decided it needed to go off and wake me up... its not like I don't have to get up at 6am why does that happen?
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #25988
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
why does that happen?
The Pink did it
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #25989
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
The Pink did it

thanks for coming over and supervising

finally got it all bolted in, test drove and left joe's around 12am..nothing like a full day on the jeep
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #25990
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am also not a big fan of the spring angle. Thats what happens when you do a shackle reversal and forget to changge the measurement. I am up in the air on if I want to pull the axle back out and make all new mounts now or take it wheeling once first to see what it does. right now the axle swings back a little like a toyota with IFS. The only major downfall I see is that it may push my driveshaft through my Tcase. Either that or I can go back to having shackles in the front and just put new perches on.

As for the high steer I could not find anyone that made anything for the Dodge axle. I would love to change it out but this is working fine for now. My plan for the future is probably to swap it out for a Kingpin D60 so I don't want to sink a bunch of cash into this one.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #25991
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am also not a big fan of the spring angle. Thats what happens when you do a shackle reversal and forget to changge the measurement. I am up in the air on if I want to pull the axle back out and make all new mounts now or take it wheeling once first to see what it does. right now the axle swings back a little like a toyota with IFS. The only major downfall I see is that it may push my driveshaft through my Tcase. Either that or I can go back to having shackles in the front and just put new perches on.

As for the high steer I could not find anyone that made anything for the Dodge axle. I would love to change it out but this is working fine for now. My plan for the future is probably to swap it out for a Kingpin D60 so I don't want to sink a bunch of cash into this one.
I think some rework is in order. The spring setup is funky, the shackles could very well flip and destroy the springs. The steering will give bump steer in a bad way, might as well fix it right.
Should kinda look like this, you want the draglink flat at ride height for good street manners with a leaf spring setup

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #25992
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I vote for going back to front shackles. seems to me that would be the easiest way to get the shackle angle correct and the springs more flat.

is it possible to put ford super duty BJ outers on that axle? I know somebody on pirate has done histeer on those, machining is required...

although if you can find a KP axle then you are set
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #25993
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
I wish i could join you guys at Joe's tomorrow but I have to work. I'll try to stop by on Sunday.
Feel free to stop on by. You can help me move around a couple axles.

Quote:
Thats a BIG Sammy!

Like what Taylor mentioned, we were discussing the current set-up yesterday and the concensus was that it appears like you'll be addressing some things in the future once you get it out & do some testing.

Pics of Taylors new shock mounts in a moment...............
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #25994
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Taylor, Andy & I played in the garage most of the day/evening, while Steve, Justin, Jason and his son stopped on by to critique things.

Taylors "can opener" bumper. I let him tell THAT story.

New Bling-steins:

We plasma'd the lower mounts off the axle:

Added a piece of HREW tube to the lower control arm mount which allows access to the control arm bolt with a deep socket.

Clamped things in place & added a gusset:

Then made sure the spacing was correct for the shock tabs & did the welding:

We also fabricated up these upper shock conversion mounts from angle iron & some bar stock I had laying around:

Driver shock mounted:

Rinse & repeat for the passenger side.

All in all it was a very productive day while hanging out in the garage.

It was real nice to have met some neighbors (Jason & his 2.5 year old son) and have Andy, Justin, and Steve stop on by & chew the fat.

Andy got lunch & dinner (mexican food & pizza) for us which was SUPER nice of him & I certainly appreciate that.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #25995
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Taylor, Andy & I played in the garage most of the day/evening, while Steve, Justin, Jason and his son stopped on by to critique things.

<snip>

All in all it was a very productive day while hanging out in the garage.

It was real nice to have met some neighbors (Jason & his 2.5 year old son) and have Andy, Justin, and Steve stop on by & chew the fat.

Andy got lunch & dinner (mexican food & pizza) for us which was SUPER nice of him & I certainly appreciate that.
Thanks Joe... Stealing for my Build

thanks to everyone that helped out... I owe you guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.