San Diego Area - Page 1502 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #22516
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I made a little more progress today. I installed the hub bearings, hub nuts, torqued them down to specs, then installed the rest of the hub internals.

Hard to tell, but the hub bearing is back behind all that grease.

This is the first hub nut installed. Notice the pin on the hub nut at ~1:30 position. The first nut gets tightened down to 50ft lbs then backed back out ~90*. Then you add the hub washer (which is keyed to the spindle and has holes in it for the pin) & then I tightened down the second nut to 50ft lbs & called it good.

Next up was the hub internals going in & then add the two snap rings. One snap ring goes on the end of the axle shaft, while the other large snap ring goes on the hub itself.

I installed the rest of the hub internals, but don't show that here because I showed them earlier being removed & wanted to cut down on some of the repetition.

Here's both ends fully assembled:

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #22517
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
they do on XJ's. there are a bunch of write ups in the XJ forum about the manifold swap. i cant imagine why they wouldnt work on TJ's. and i think its 99+
they don't work... TJ's have round headlights...

you'd better just give it to me and go buy a YJ....
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #22518
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I know CC very well. Usually run Bronco Peak and Sidewinder without a spotter and I always seem to wind up leading. However I work weekends most of the time. Also, it's gonna be hot as all getout out there right now.

On another note, I am planningto hit up IMS on Tuesday and pick up the first roundof DOM for the cage and
Lento get to cutting, notching, grinding, mocking, tacking, and welding in the new pieces on Wednesday. My buddy was supposed to come give me a hand but the wife revoked his man card for the day and is making him cart the brats around instead. If anyone is free we'd and wants to lend a hand, shoot the ****e, and drink some fine home brewed beer I'd love an extrabsetnofmhands or 2
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #22519
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
Does anyone know if the newer U-shaped intake manifolds (2001+?)interchange with the older square type like in my 97'.

Probably not a huge different but I cant help but think that the newer one is a little less restrictive, flows better, something?

The reason I ask is because I was thinking about swapping one in since I found one for cheap, may not even be worth it, but when you compare the two it sure seems that air would have a much easier time getting through the newer one, if I was air thats the one I would want to be flowing through ....
I know the 1999+ XJ EXHAUST manifold is interchangeable with the earlier exhaust on all the 4.0s 91+ I can only imagine that the Intake is also assuming both are OBDII and I assume yours is since its 97+
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #22520
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I will probably pick that intake up and see if it fits..

Also I found a Dana 44 from an 04 Wrangler with 4.10s for $850, good deal??

I Emailed him about it waiting for reply...it has the factory locker in it as well.

That would be nice..
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #22521
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well it seems that I found my rear end, a Dana 44 from a 2004 wrangler, complete assembly with disks and a 4.10 with a locker, done and done!

I will probably upgrade the axleshafts and maybe upgrade the locker to an ARB at some point, but at least I got that part out of the way.

Now I will just need to upgrade the front assembly, I would still like to do the XJ axle swap, as long as I can find one, since my front is currently a 3.07 gear I will have to figure out something pretty quick so I will have 4wd.

I may just regear the front and put some axles in it, since the local junkyards dont have *****, and I would have to drive down to Mexico (almost) just to look for one and I dont really know how to identify it if its just laying there so it sounds like it will be too difficult, I wouldnt want to grab something only to find out its the wrong one, hopefully I can find one a member is selling otherwise I just cant see trying to find one, sounds like a major hassle.\

If you guys ever see an LP Dana 30 for sale please let me know.., I am ready to do this!! I have been trying to find one without luck..
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #22522
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Me again,

Does anybody have a pic of a Dana 44 that I can look at where you can see the locker connection? Been searching for 45 minutes for a pic, mostly using Google.

I am going to look at that D44 tomorow and would like to know what I am looking for as far as locker connections since the guy who has the rearend says it doesnt have a controllable locker.
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #22523
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek
Me again,

Does anybody have a pic of a Dana 44 that I can look at where you can see the locker connection? Been searching for 45 minutes for a pic, mostly using Google.

I am going to look at that D44 tomorow and would like to know what I am looking for as far as locker connections since the guy who has the rearend says it doesnt have a controllable locker.
I know nothing about the 44 locker wiring or anything just wanted to let you know you're not talking to a wall. Haha

I'm reading everything you write just don't have any of the answers your looking for :-)

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #22524
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
I know nothing about the 44 locker wiring or anything just wanted to let you know you're not talking to a wall. Haha

I'm reading everything you write just don't have any of the answers your looking for :-)
Haha, thanks man. I need to try searching in different ways, I start to get "tunnel focus" where I keep searching nearly the same thing more than once

I'll find some pics of what I need, I have seen a bunch of pictures searching the internet, but not exactly what I need the search continues..

Found this http://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replac.../axleTJ44R.php searching the Quadratech site, looks like there was an option that had a locker without the external control, unless I am seeing it wrong?

I just got bored and made some 1.5" driver seat risers for the Jeep in the past two hours, now I can see over the hood much better, I am only 5'7, so I sit way down and now that its 1.5" higher it made a world of difference!!

I also put in some new Hella GLass headlight replacement housings that use the HB2 bulb, so I am going to convert this over to a 55watt hi/lo HID bulb and it should give me about 300% more light, cant wait to see the difference...
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #22525
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Looks like you wanted to kick all that stuff to the curb.

Good to here its back on the road!

Dare I ask if you're thinking about going up to Blaine's?
Not quite running yet, it's still hydrolocked, next is pulling the glow plugs and clearing the coolant from the cylinders

After that, yes I need to get to Blaine's and get those axles out of the back of the truck. Hoping maybe Friday if all goes well.

Quote:
Well it seems that I found my rear end, a Dana 44 from a 2004 wrangler, complete assembly with disks and a 4.10 with a locker...
There were a couple of options for D44's in '04. The TJ Rubicon had a D44 specific to that model with 4:10 gears, disc brakes and an air-actuated locker. If it is a Rubicon axle there will be an air connection on top of the pumpkin and a pair of wires a few inches long with a plug on the end.

The non-Rubicon D44 was an option on certain trim models of TJ's in '04. A D44 in a non-Rubi TJ had drum brakes and 3:73 gears, no other gear ratio was available from the factory on D44's in 2004.

4-cylinder TJ's did not have a factory option for a D44, they only had a D35 with 4:11 gears.

So, the axle in question is either a Rubicon D44; a standard factory D44 that was regeared and a disc brake mod done; or it is a modded D35 from a 4-cyl TJ and it is being passed off as a D44.

Because he said it has a noncontrollable locker that would remove the Rubi axle from the equation so next would come a standard factory D44 with a rear disc conversion, an auto locker like an Aussie or Detroit and a regear to 4:10. That seems most likely from the description

Check the TJ Technical forum stickies, there's a good guide to axle identification that will help to be sure you are indeed getting a D44.

Check the junkyards for a 4-cyl XJ D30, it will have 4:10 gears. Don't be scared off by a disco-axle, you can always do a TJ axle shaft swap and eliminate the disco
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #22526
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Who else has tomorrow off? I'll be working on my jeep tomorrow, anyone interested in joining in, or need some help?

using JeepForum iPhone app
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #22527
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Not quite running yet, it's still hydrolocked, next is pulling the glow plugs and clearing the coolant from the cylinders

After that, yes I need to get to Blaine's and get those axles out of the back of the truck. Hoping maybe Friday if all goes well.

There were a couple of options for D44's in '04. The TJ Rubicon had a D44 specific to that model with 4:10 gears, disc brakes and an air-actuated locker. If it is a Rubicon axle there will be an air connection on top of the pumpkin and a pair of wires a few inches long with a plug on the end.

The non-Rubicon D44 was an option on certain trim models of TJ's in '04. A D44 in a non-Rubi TJ had drum brakes and 3:73 gears, no other gear ratio was available from the factory on D44's in 2004.

4-cylinder TJ's did not have a factory option for a D44, they only had a D35 with 4:11 gears.

So, the axle in question is either a Rubicon D44; a standard factory D44 that was regeared and a disc brake mod done; or it is a modded D35 from a 4-cyl TJ and it is being passed off as a D44.

Because he said it has a noncontrollable locker that would remove the Rubi axle from the equation so next would come a standard factory D44 with a rear disc conversion, an auto locker like an Aussie or Detroit and a regear to 4:10. That seems most likely from the description

Check the TJ Technical forum stickies, there's a good guide to axle identification that will help to be sure you are indeed getting a D44.

Check the junkyards for a 4-cyl XJ D30, it will have 4:10 gears. Don't be scared off by a disco-axle, you can always do a TJ axle shaft swap and eliminate the disco
OK thanks for that info and taking the time to post it for me, (Awesome!!), I am new to the Jeep stuff as you can tell, that really helps me sort some stuff out, I figure at least I will go look at it and see if it is even a D44 by looking at the diff cover. I am going to bring some tools so I can remove the cover and look inside to see what I am getting into as far as a locker goes, and spin the pinion and see if I can figure out the gear ratio for sure, unles it has a tag on it.

Just seems wierd since there is no axle offered that has what he is selling as far as options (gearing, brakes, locker). But we will see, he got it from another person soo....

Also on the front axle I didnt know I was looking for a 4 cyl version, but that makes sense since the 4cyl needs the gearing..

Last edited by Speed-Freek; 07-11-2011 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: more info
Speed-Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #22528
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
Who else has tomorrow off? I'll be working on my jeep tomorrow, anyone interested in joining in, or need some help?

Having a wrench party?

I do that almost every day since I work as a tech/fabricator from home, sometimes it doesnt seem like a party anymore when you do it that often..but I still love to tinker with stuff, everything I own is modified in some way.

If anyone needs car work done by a professional mechanic let me know, I work from home and thats my Primary business. I was a Master Toyota/Lexus tech and also worked as the lead Heavy line tech for Diesel Masters, so I know my way around gas and diesel engines, and motorcycles as well, been self employed for the last 8 years now

Just sayin, could probably save you guys some money over a shop since my overhead is much cheaper..and I work on most makes and models, I can do some things on Mercedes and BMWs like brakes and some maintenance, but not much more, but just about everything else on other vehicles except automatic transmission rebuilds.

Figured I would let you guys know just in case there is something you dont or cant do yourself for any reasons
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #22529
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK thanks for that info and taking the time to post it for me, (Awesome!!), I am new to the Jeep stuff as you can tell, that really helps me sort some stuff out, I figure at least I will go look at it and see if it is even a D44 by looking at the diff cover. I am going to bring some tools so I can remove the cover and look inside to see what I am getting into as far as a locker goes, and spin the pinion and see if I can figure out the gear ratio for sure, unles it has a tag on it.

Just seems wierd since there is no axle offered that has what he is selling as far as options (gearing, brakes, locker). But we will see, he got it from another person soo....

Also on the front axle I didnt know I was looking for a 4 cyl version, but that makes sense since the 4cyl needs the gearing..

This may help you identify different axles. Also if you the cover and there is spider gears then you don't have a locker.
diffs.jpg  
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #22530
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post

I am but I will be working on my YJ at my place. Planning to hit IMS for some more DOM for my cage and Harbor Freight for a new chop saw. Then I need to relocate the drivers side rear body mount cause I didn't get to it last week when I did the comp cut corner on that side. Then I am planning to redo my tail light wiring cause it's a mess, then figure out some of the angles I need for the cage and print and cut some notch templates in preparation for doing the roll cage additions on Wednesday.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.