San Diego Area - Page 1497 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #22441
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

So yesterday we did Holcolm Creek trail which has been closed for six years due to the fires. That trail is a lot of fun. It's similar to john bull in difficulty but it is much more scenic and has a lot of stream crossings and a short section of wet rock crawling.

july-3rd-1.jpg   july-3rd-2.jpg   july-3rd-4.jpg  
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #22442
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Cool.

I spoke with Blaine earlier today & it looks as if I have plenty of time to pull the HPD30 and install the HPD60 before I drag it up to his house for the remainder of the work.

So.....I'll be removing the D30 sooner than I thought and start the work to design & fab the outboarded spring hangers and get this axle installed.
Watcha doing with the HP30? And is it the same as the stock D30 in my TJ, just a higher pumpkin and reverse rotation?

I think I should probably concentrate on the rear axle since thats the weak part for now though..but your rig is going to be awesome, those 60s front and rear dan dear turns your Jeep into a TANK. Your build is going to be awesome when its done.

I am going to order my tires thhis week, I am just going to go with the BFG M/T 33 x 10.5 - 15 and I can use my stock wheels and some spacers...to keep cost down. Even thinking of just going with some rockmen arms and just do a SA setup but still going with coilovers just to have a higher quality suspension system with dual rate and adjustability..

I think my next mod will be to build a higher skid plate as close to flat as possible even if I need to do some cutting and welding, I am trying to avoid a Body Lift and just lift the motor and skid plate as high as possible and keep the drive shaft happy, which seems that the skid will only be able to go up the 1" I will lift the motor to keep the drivetrain angles the same, maybe I will lift the skid 2" and that will be minimal driveline angle increase.

Hmmm, we will soon see I suppose.
Speed-Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #22443
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
Cool.

I spoke with Blaine earlier today & it looks as if I have plenty of time to pull the HPD30 and install the HPD60 before I drag it up to his house for the remainder of the work.

So.....I'll be removing the D30 sooner than I thought and start the work to design & fab the outboarded spring hangers and get this axle installed.
So when does the teardown start?

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #22444
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
Watcha doing with the HP30? And is it the same as the stock D30 in my TJ, just a higher pumpkin and reverse rotation?
Climbit (Taylor) has first dibs on the HPD30 internals and spare parts for it.

It started out as a stock YJ vacuum disco HPD30 housing that I put a SERIOUS crack in the passenger side axle tube while wheeling.

Its got about as much polish on it as possible since I have built it over the last 16 years.

I'm not going to sell the housing since I chopped it up & sleeved it myself in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...beware-793813/

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
So when does the teardown start?
Could be as early as today.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #22445
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The Holcolm Creek trail looks like LOTS of fun!
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #22446
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's challenging enough for you to have fun in your rig.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #22447
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Could be as early as today.
let me know if you want some help. im down to wrench

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #22448
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek View Post
For a TJ use the HP30 housing out of a XJ, gear it to match your rear use the rest of the stuff out of your current front axle and gain a stronger diff housing and better driveshaft clearance as well as a ring and pinion that run on the right side of the gear tooth, so a reduced change of breaking the front ring and pinion.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #22449
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Holcolm Creek trail looks like LOTS of fun!
It's a work in progress, the hard working folks of www.myjeeprocks.com have a few more upgrades in mind for it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/february-tj-month-contest-submit-now-2061065/
aw12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #22450
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I doubt my sister's stock LJ could make it through Holcom Creek trail. We may have to do that one another time.
Looks like a fun run tho'.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #22451
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, its all good and I did some wheeling today!!!! probably Noob trails but some were pretty steep, went throuh everything in the park (Wildowmar OHV area) except a trail that said MOST DIFFICULT, so me and the wife walked it, and I would have had a hell of a time to make just it down so I didnt try it, I dont have the cage built yet so I dont want to risk me and my wifes lives...

It looked like the kind of trail that would require at LEAST 35" tires to even attempt it, or at least thats how I perceived it, all I know is that it was too difficult for me to try out....

However the Jeep is stock suspension with 31" tires and a lunchbox locker in the rear, I have an ARB I installed in the front, and an ARB compressor, just need the locker switch and the locker solenoid and then I have a working front locker too! Need to check Ebay and see what I can find.

I aired down to 17psi at all four corners and it went through everything like a billygoat and unfortunately got scratched from the thick bushes (redneck pinstriping) on both sides of my Jeep...but I dont care, thats what its for, we were on the trails for about 4 hours going all over every trail I could find and also using a GPS for some of the major trails and loops and it managed everything without any trouble at any time.

I also just put in a new aftermarket A/C system, since it was over 100 degrees out today it worked so good the I had to turn the blower down because I was getting too cold (yeah its a hardtop)..I didnt expect it to work that well! But all in all me and my wife had a great time out there, another great thing is there was nobody else at the OHV park so there would be no oncoming traffic coming around a blind corner in a tecnical hillclimb section, there are mostly super tight trails, so tight my Jeep was squeezing its way past most things due to the overgrowth of all the brush out there.

I was thoroughly impressed with how easily the Jeep managed some of the really steep uneven hillclimbs
Speed-Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #22452
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
It's a work in progress, the hard working folks of www.myjeeprocks.com have a few more upgrades in mind for it.
I know some of the folks who hangout there (Chris, Tammy, Brian, Erik, Rick, Sarah, Chuck) plus I'm sure others.
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #22453
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know some of the folks who hangout there (Chris, Tammy, Brian, Erik, Rick, Sarah, Chuck) plus I'm sure others.
Yeah I'm on there once in a while myself. Though for some reason the Jeepaholics crew and the MJR crew don't seem to get along to well. Never did get a straight answer as to why or what happened.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #22454
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freek
Thanks guys, its all good and I did some wheeling today!!!! probably Noob trails but some were pretty steep, went throuh everything in the park (Wildowmar OHV area) except a trail that said MOST DIFFICULT
Hold everything there is an OHV area in Wildomar (no "w" in the middle)? My girlfriend lives up there so I'm in the area all the time!!

I could use an OHV area up there cuz she never has any ideas what to do on hot days but offroading is always fun!!

I'm guessing my ZJ couldn't make those trails from your description (it's mostly stock) but my YJ probably could. Perhaps a final voyage for the 4.2L before I do the swap!

My iPhone will poison your Android.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #22455
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I wan't aware that trail opened back up. It was closed for a long time. I'll have to go check it out.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.