San Diego Area - Page 1357 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #20341
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[quote=wsaxer;10570660]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post

If that rig did roll, you hope you could have dropped down, would have been a crazy "look how luck this spotter was" video... Looks like you guys had a great time, we got some cool video of trying to get up sindwinder to the left of that steep rock but it hasn't been posted yet... Nothing like that, can't wait to tackle it though, looks like it would be ok with a good spoter and a nice line.
There are two ways to run this. You can drag your drivers side down the left rock as Jeff did in the first run or you can try and straddle the gap. I explained both options to everyone who ran it and the outcome of both lines. Everyone but Jeff (who was on his way down before I got out of my rig) chose the straddle option.

With the wide track of your D-60's you could rub the drivers side tires down that rock and probably not even have to pull your mirror in.

Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #20342
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Wow. Sorry I missed that trip. Sounds like Jeff was leaving some paint there.
I hadn't planned on the tube fenders acting as rock sliders but aside from paint loss they show no sign of damage. Maybe I should bolt on some teflon strips.

That trail is pretty much everything you've heard. There was plenty of other bottom rubbing and rocker guard testing; but I would do it again. Going back up would be a whole different challenge.

[quote=Motorep;10570809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaxer View Post

There are two ways to run this. You can drag your drivers side down the left rock as Jeff did in the first run or you can try and straddle the gap. I explained both options to everyone who ran it and the outcome of both lines. Everyone but Jeff (who was on his way down before I got out of my rig) chose the straddle option.

With the wide track of your D-60's you could rub the drivers side tires down that rock and probably not even have to pull your mirror in.
I was trying to straddle, at least that was the plan, but I was a little too far over and slipped in. The good thing about laying against the rock is no danger of flopping.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #20343
wsaxer
2007 JK Wrangler 

[quote=Motorep;10570809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsaxer View Post

Ya after seeing the last rig in the video go down I figured that, it looks like a reall fun run but I broke my axle and driveshaft on sidewinder when I was out there last time (poor driving, we'll leave it at that) so I had to square off with it again... I won this time
D-60's? I wish! those are chevy 8.5's...
wsaxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #20344
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[quote=wsaxer;10570867]
Quote:

Ya after seeing the last rig in the video go down I figured that, it looks like a reall fun run but I broke my axle and driveshaft on sidewinder when I was out there last time (poor driving, we'll leave it at that) so I had to square off with it again... I won this time
D-60's? I wish! those are chevy 8.5's...
Really? I thought they were 60's but I didn't get a good chance to look.

I was the last rig through and I've run this before going both up and down. I definitely had an advantage

I'm probably too concerned with damage to other peoples rigs when spotting. I have no issues dragging my rig through the rocks but I can't expect others to do the same. It gets easier when you've wheeled with them a few times and see what they're willing to do. That said, I think we had a really strong and capable group that wasn't afraid. There was a whole lotta going on though!!!
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #20345
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so did that XJ run that, I'm curious to see what happens to one.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #20346
wsaxer
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ya, it started out slow, but turned out good I think, that happens with tire punctures and 13 jeeps on a 3 jeep trail. Do you have video of you going up that? Ya i guess once you do it a couple times you get a bit more used to it and know what line to take, I am afraid to flip my jeep simply because of how heavy that thing is! Haha, cast iron trannys and big v8's just aren't the lightest things in the world...
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #20347
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=I was trying to straddle, at least that was the plan, but I was a little too far over and slipped in. The good thing about laying against the rock is no danger of flopping. [/QUOTE]

And that's the key when running this stuff. You knew exactly what the outcome was if you did slide off and what the would happen to your rig. I do that all the time making sure that if I slide or tip I'm going into a solid object that will hold me in place.

The thing that most stood out too me was how weak the steering pumps in our Jeeps are. The fact that the LJ couldn't move the tires is what caused him to have to try and back up. His right front tire then dropped off of the rock and he tipped. Time for another upgrade
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #20348
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
so did that XJ run that, I'm curious to see what happens to one.
We had an XJ start out with us but he burst into flames as XJ's are prone to do on the hard stuff

No XJ's on this run but I have led a couple of XJ's down before with no issues. Their long wheel base makes for some crazy maneuvering around sharp corners though.
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #20349
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
We had an XJ start out with us but he burst into flames as XJ's are prone to do on the hard stuff

No XJ's on this run but I have led a couple of XJ's down before with no issues. Their long wheel base makes for some crazy maneuvering around sharp corners though.
ahh... well, next time I'll bring my junk. gotta get some rocker armor first.

thats my winter project, cut out the rocker panel, replace with 2x6 square tube and stiffen the uniframe.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #20350
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
ahh... well, next time I'll bring my junk. gotta get some rocker armor first.

thats my winter project, cut out the rocker panel, replace with 2x6 square tube and stiffen the uniframe.
Do you really have to go that far in modifying the uniframe? I thought Rusty's had rock rails and a frame stiffener kit you could by direct.

I still want to add an XJ to the fleet. I want something that drives better on the freeway but can stand up to some exploring. It'll be easier on the dogs too.
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #20351
BestopTeam

Greetings.
I'm going to be in San Diego filming a video for Bestop in late January (25th?).
I've got a great Jeep all set and ready to go, but we want to add an old school ride.

If you have or know someone who has, a Flatfender, a Scrambler, or a Jeepster, and you'd like to volunteer your ride, let me know.

This is usually a pretty good deal - we install some Bestop product, and then forget to remove it.

Geoff
webteam@bestop.com
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #20352
wsaxer
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
Greetings.
I'm going to be in San Diego filming a video for Bestop in late January (25th?).
I've got a great Jeep all set and ready to go, but we want to add an old school ride.

If you have or know someone who has, a Flatfender, a Scrambler, or a Jeepster, and you'd like to volunteer your ride, let me know.

This is usually a pretty good deal - we install some Bestop product, and then forget to remove it.

Geoff
webteam@bestop.com
I've got a cj , does it matter if its modified?
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #20353
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Greetings.

Geoff
webteam@bestop.com
I would love some windows that I could see through.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #20354
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Greetings.

Geoff
webteam@bestop.com
I have a real clean 82 Scrambler I can volunteer.
0908001449a.jpg  
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #20355
BestopTeam

San Diegans:

In addition to a Jeep, I need some advice:

It's fairly easy to get a permit to film on a beach.

But which beach? Where would you go for a classic California background beach scene?

The super busy areas around the piers are probably too expensive (I need to rent cops for traffic control, they require a lifeguard, etc.). So I'm looking for quiet places.

Is Imperial Beach a good choice?

The film bureau gives me a long list of contacts, but no way to decide which one to try for.

Thanks for your help.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.