San Diego Area - Page 1308 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #19606
BrandonTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

YouTube - Horse poop

Much better with sound.

Unread 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #19607
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a good torque wrench I can borrow this weekend? I need to change the valve cover gasket on Heather's celica its leaking pretty bad and my wrench is broken.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #19608
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
Anyone have a good torque wrench I can borrow this weekend? I need to change the valve cover gasket on Heather's celica its leaking pretty bad and my wrench is broken.
My small one is at Jason's house, in Poway.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #19609
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

need some advice-

found a 1997 tj on CL with 120k. guy wants to sell it for 5700. the rub is that he claims its his "buddies" jeep who is in europe for a while and needs it sold. he says he has the pink slip with a signature.

sounds a little fishy. whats your guys take?

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara TJ with Pro Comp Lift
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #19610
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
need some advice-

found a 1997 tj on CL with 120k. guy wants to sell it for 5700. the rub is that he claims its his "buddies" jeep who is in europe for a while and needs it sold. he says he has the pink slip with a signature.

Sounds fisy to me too. I would want to talk to the owner or get some kind of certified or notarized confirmation that this guy has rights to sell it. The title could be bogus, the thing could be stolen or it might be all legit and the friend is away in the army for a year or something similar.
Unread 08-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #19611
jeepnkal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
need some advice-

My take is......... when you show up to see the "pink slip" his "buddies" are going to hit you over the head with a sock filled with nickles and take your Jeep while your unconscious. Good luck!
jeepnkal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM   #19612
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnkal View Post
My take is......... when you show up to see the "pink slip" his "buddies" are going to hit you over the head with a sock filled with nickles and take your Jeep while your unconscious. Good luck!
Had not thought of that angle. Good one.
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:19 PM   #19613
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Sounds fisy to me too. I would want to talk to the owner or get some kind of certified or notarized confirmation that this guy has rights to sell it. The title could be bogus, the thing could be stolen or it might be all legit and the friend is away in the army for a year or something similar.
well we checked it out. they guys "SEEMS" legit. the story is that his friend is moving to london for 2 years to work on a "tim burton film". and is in New York leaving for london in the morning and will be out of contact for the next day or 2.

the jeep is in pretty good condition. needs all the fluids changed. it runs great, shifts great, has a couple of minor leaks that should be taken care of but nothing major. definetly needs new shocks and springs... but thats because they are pro-comp

we grabbed the VIN and are gonna have AAA and carfax check it out.

biggest downside- has a d35 rearend.

Quote:

good thing we took my cousin's Tacoma. He would be the one buying it, I'm just along to be the "jeep expert" since I spend most of my time surfing this place
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #19614
jeepnkal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Jeff - Maren said you might be interested in these links:

Passport: Passport to Balboa Park - Balboa Park

Residents Free Tuesday: http://www.balboapark.org/calendar/d...hp?EventID=370

Maren's blog: http://www.balboaparkbeat.org
jeepnkal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #19615
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Jeff - Maren said you might be interested in these links:

Passport: Passport to Balboa Park - Balboa Park

Residents Free Tuesday: Residents Free Tuesday - Complete Schedule - Balboa Park Calendar of Events

Maren's blog: http://www.balboaparkbeat.org
THX Kal

--------------

Hey Ari.

Get over here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/do...-cool-1096376/
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #19616
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just want to thank Grewe02, I was going through the completely general forum tonight for the first time because I was really down about my rig still being broken almost a year later. I was about ready to make a post in general just giving the story about it and what I use it for outside of offroading to see if by some miracle someone would have a solution for me or some help when I noticed a Jurassic Park thread, so I checked as I am always curious what others are doing to their rigs and I realized that someone mentioned seeing a JP jeep in san diego and Grewe02 posted pics and made some defensive statements in my absence. Whether or not the guy meant my specific jeep I dont know but either way it was really appreciated and raised my mood a little.

With the rig going into its 9th month of inoperable I've been pretty heart broken about it. Its probably a bit pathetic but I really love that rolling cinder block I call Sheila. I think my last girl friend was totally justified in being jealous of Sheila and saying it was the other girl in the relationship. I just don't know what to do at this point, my last bit of hope lies in the Marines over at pendleton, more so in my friend who is going to talk to them. Apparently he knows a mechanic for the LCACs and said they fixed his car for free for once and might do the same for me if I agree to make some appearances at the base for random events namely family day. Well I am more than happy to do that, and do it more than once or twice for sure, if all they can do is fix these 5 bolts that are ruining my rig's life. So its a straight trade, but the bad news is the guy who is stationed there is probably on deployment and if so that leaves me back at square 1. Don't suppose anyone here has some miracle up their sleeve? Its just 5 bolts on the engine block that mount the oil pan but I dont have the room, tools, or resources to fix them myself at this point. I have the helicoils, I have the rethreads, I have the insert tools, the drill, the understanding just the bolts are so inconveniently placed that I can't get to them and I can't risk it anymore or I'll need a whole new block... I'm on the verge of posting a pathetic desperation story about it, its literally like watching a family member die an agonizing death whenever I go look at her. :/

^-- Y'all will think i'm even weirder now, but its just how I feel about her.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #19617
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

You are quite welcome, sir. I'm still fighting the good fight, as well. He came back with some smart *** comments about freedom of speech and opinions. I wasn't as friendly this time as the first.

Glad I could raise your mood, Ari. And 9 months? Is that all? Pfft, my CJ has been down for almost 3 years now. I've just recently been able to scrounge up some money to start working on it again, and I'm not even in the country! Now get that thing running!!!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #19618
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know you explained this to me, but I forget the details. Are the bolts broken off or are the holes stripped or a combination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
I just want to thank Grewe02, I was going through the completely general forum tonight for the first time because I was really down about my rig still being broken almost a year later. I was about ready to make a post in general just giving the story about it and what I use it for outside of offroading to see if by some miracle someone would have a solution for me or some help when I noticed a Jurassic Park thread, so I checked as I am always curious what others are doing to their rigs and I realized that someone mentioned seeing a JP jeep in san diego and Grewe02 posted pics and made some defensive statements in my absence. Whether or not the guy meant my specific jeep I dont know but either way it was really appreciated and raised my mood a little.

With the rig going into its 9th month of inoperable I've been pretty heart broken about it. Its probably a bit pathetic but I really love that rolling cinder block I call Sheila. I think my last girl friend was totally justified in being jealous of Sheila and saying it was the other girl in the relationship. I just don't know what to do at this point, my last bit of hope lies in the Marines over at pendleton, more so in my friend who is going to talk to them. Apparently he knows a mechanic for the LCACs and said they fixed his car for free for once and might do the same for me if I agree to make some appearances at the base for random events namely family day. Well I am more than happy to do that, and do it more than once or twice for sure, if all they can do is fix these 5 bolts that are ruining my rig's life. So its a straight trade, but the bad news is the guy who is stationed there is probably on deployment and if so that leaves me back at square 1. Don't suppose anyone here has some miracle up their sleeve? Its just 5 bolts on the engine block that mount the oil pan but I dont have the room, tools, or resources to fix them myself at this point. I have the helicoils, I have the rethreads, I have the insert tools, the drill, the understanding just the bolts are so inconveniently placed that I can't get to them and I can't risk it anymore or I'll need a whole new block... I'm on the verge of posting a pathetic desperation story about it, its literally like watching a family member die an agonizing death whenever I go look at her. :/

^-- Y'all will think i'm even weirder now, but its just how I feel about her.
Unread 09-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #19619
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I know you explained this to me, but I forget the details. Are the bolts broken off or are the holes stripped or a combination?
Here is the situation from start to finish so its entirely clear, December 2009 I needed to change my Rear Main Seal and Oil Pan Gasket. So I went under, took it all apart, discovered a couple bolts were missing and 1 was loose. I figure no biggy, so I go through the process and then when I was putting the bolts back on I came to realize the missing ones were stripped (conveniently the bolts themselves were actually in a bag of bolts the guy gave me when I boguht the rig) and the loose ones I figured were from when I hit a big rock offroading up in Azusa. Well in the process I also stripped 2 holes, i dont have a clue how because I had the torque wrench set lower than it should be. Needless to say I drove around like that leaking a big of oil at a time. In the process I lost the collar that goes over the back neck of the oil pan, but I replaced that (got the last one in the entire continental us from dealerships). On and off the jeep leaked and eventually I had to get a CJ pan bcuz the YJ's was too busted to hold because it was totally warped and bent out of shape. I road around with the CJ pan for awhile and eventually got a new YJ pan, new gasket (a 2nd one) and tried to fix it all again. The heads broke off the bolts this time so I had to get extractors and the such. The 3rd time I removed the pan I was able to extract both broken bolts however the bolt holes in the engine block are now stripped either partially (2 most forward holes) or entirely (the back 3).

So I have 5 bad bolt holes to be exact, the partially damaged ones can hold bolts but not tension. The 3 in the back do nothing and because of the placement the block leaks oil like mad onto the exhaust pipe and I can't hold pressure. I've had to avoid driving her for more than a couple minutes just to move her or I lose all oil pressure because of how little there is in her now. I lost 5 quarts in 1 day driving to and from sea world.

The biggest issue with this is that the most vital hole that is damaged is one of the 2 in the very back of the block where the engine has the rounded neck part. I can't get the drill up there to drill it out because the transmission is about 1-2 inches too close. Maybe taking off the inspection plate would help?

I have helicoils for both hole sizes, I have rethread tools, I have drills, etc. I just don't have any extension bits long enough to get up there or the room to have my engine and tranny disconnected for an extended period of time. (Unless I manage to sell the Crown Victoria).

So the situation: Need to reuse or replace the oil pan gasket. Need to drill out/helicoil 5 bolt holes. Maybe change the RMS again just because I have a new set.

-------

Also does anyone know if I can sell a car that is registered Non-Operational? I looked at the DMV website and it doesnt say I can't and it doesn't say a vehicle has to be driveable or insured to sell, atleast not that I could find.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
You are quite welcome, sir. I'm still fighting the good fight, as well. He came back with some smart *** comments about freedom of speech and opinions. I wasn't as friendly this time as the first.

Glad I could raise your mood, Ari. And 9 months? Is that all? Pfft, my CJ has been down for almost 3 years now. I've just recently been able to scrounge up some money to start working on it again, and I'm not even in the country! Now get that thing running!!!
I liked your comeback Hopefully that guy doesn't watch burn notice or you are going to get a hilarious comeback about using his comeback
Unread 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #19620
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think even if it's non-op you will still need a smog cert. Lots of people sell cars "as-is" without a smog but there is actully no provision in the law allowing for that.

If you have a place to do it it might be worth pulling the motor to gain access to those bolts or be able to take it to someone who could do it.

What I would do, for a temp fix, is get some hard wood like oak dowels and pound it into the holes then put in self tapping screws. They are only supposed to be tightened to 80 inch/lbs anyway. I have used this method before with success. Use large size screws so they will expand the wood as much as possible to fill the holes and get a good grip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.