San Diego Area - Page 1206 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #18076
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Certainly do-able. Makes steering a challenge
So what all does it ruin when you weld them? I will eventually be switching out to the 8.8 and 4:10 front axle from a 4cyl so I don't think this is my permanent axle but it could be in there for the next year or so.

Will it effect my steering much when I am in 2 wheel drive? I assume it will be similar to the aussie but could be wrong.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #18077
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So what all does it ruin when you weld them? I will eventually be switching out to the 8.8 and 4:10 front axle from a 4cyl so I don't think this is my permanent axle but it could be in there for the next year or so.

Will it effect my steering much when I am in 2 wheel drive? I assume it will be similar to the aussie but could be wrong.
It messes with a lot because whenever you are not going in a perfectly straight line your tires are moving at different speeds. The tire on the inside of a corner is going slower than the outside because it is covering less distance. When you weld the spiders together it doesn't allow this to happen. Your tires will feel the brunt of the pain but it stresses that crap out of everything.

This video, regardless of age, is by far the best video to explain how differentials work.

YouTube - How Differential Gear works (BEST Tutorial)
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #18078
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Welding the spiders is like having the posilok engaged and in 4wd with an Aussie., only ALL the time.
When you dirve a Jeep with an Aussie, posilok disengaged, and 2wd, you don't even know the Aussie is there. It receives it's input from the front drive shaft to engage itself. Driving in 2wd with the posilok dis-engaged it goes straight no problem. In 2wd with the posilok engaged it tends to wander also.
But if you weld the gears, it's in posi all the time, and will want to wander all over the lane on the street.
If you weld the spiders, you won't be able to flat tow it. First time you try to go around a corner it will want to go straight.
Just wait and get an Aussie if it's your DD.
I know Richie was talking about the same thing. Not a good idea.
Maybe weld the spiders in the rear d35 if you are hell bent on locking up the cheap way.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #18079
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

that bit on the video with teh motor cycles is flippin RAD
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #18080
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
It messes with a lot because whenever you are not going in a perfectly straight line your tires are moving at different speeds. The tire on the inside of a corner is going slower than the outside because it is covering less distance. When you weld the spiders together it doesn't allow this to happen. Your tires will feel the brunt of the pain but it stresses that crap out of everything.

This video, regardless of age, is by far the best video to explain how differentials work.

YouTube - How Differential Gear works (BEST Tutorial)
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Welding the spiders is like having the posilok engaged and in 4wd with an Aussie., only ALL the time.
When you dirve a Jeep with an Aussie, posilok disengaged, and 2wd, you don't even know the Aussie is there. It receives it's input from the front drive shaft to engage itself. Driving in 2wd with the posilok dis-engaged it goes straight no problem. In 2wd with the posilok engaged it tends to wander also.
But if you weld the gears, it's in posi all the time, and will want to wander all over the lane on the street.
If you weld the spiders, you won't be able to flat tow it. First time you try to go around a corner it will want to go straight.
Just wait and get an Aussie if it's your DD.
I know Richie was talking about the same thing. Not a good idea.
Maybe weld the spiders in the rear d35 if you are hell bent on locking up the cheap way.
Yeah I am not gonna weld mine but Rich is still set on doing his, maybe I can talk him out of it. I am trying to find a locker locally so far I found a lock rite but its 330 bucks and I want to stay at 250 or less so hopefully I can find someone with an aussie.
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #18081
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Long intro, but that's a nice video Jason.

If you weld 'em, you'll wanna ensure that the vacuum disco is working well, or that you have another way to disco the axles (manual hubs, posi lock, etc) plus not a bad idea to disco the front drive shaft.

I experimented with what it would be like to have a front differential locked at all times. My set-up allows for me to do that. I'll try to explain....

First, you need to understand I run F&R ARB's, a twin stick Atlas, and manual hubs.

I first swapped the electrical connection between the front & rear solenoids of the ARB's so I could lock the front ARB prior to the rear & leave the rear open.

I then flipped on the ARB compressor, then turned on the rear locker switch (which is now the front switch since I swapped electrical connections) then I ensured that only 1 of my manual hubs were in the "free" position (the passenger side was free) while the driver side was not, and that my twin stick front drive shaft shifter was not engaged. Then I drove it like this.

The example above simulates having welded spider & side gears, and a vacuum disco in the 2wd position and close to/simular to a standard NP231's set-up.

It did drive sorta wierd from what I'm use to, especially in tight turns. Some feedback was there from what I'm use to. No overbinding or tires chirping due to the gears themself since the bind is released thru the manual hubs & I was in 2wd.

I would imagine that a stock set-up would drive about the same as my experimentation.

Would I recommend it - nope, but that's just me. It would be a PITA if you wanted to undo it.

If you wanna borrow my welder - I'll take pics.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #18082
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for trying it out but I have decided I would just grab a cheap locker and save the headache. Richie still wants me to weld his up but I will let him read some of this when he comes by.
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #18083
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for trying it out but I have decided I would just grab a cheap locker and save the headache. Richie still wants me to weld his up but I will let him read some of this when he comes by.
He's not too old for a spanking is he?
Nevermind, he might like it.

Keep looking for that Aussie! We can install that puppy in two beers.
RJC#512
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #18084
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
He'll probably have better luck going North, maybe one of the 4WD shops near Riverside. San Diego sucks for parts.

But ya know, Jeff is at work right now and..............
if he orders from 4wheelparts and or 4wheel drive hardwares website he can have it shipped to his local 4wheelparts for pickup. Did this with my ARB compressor. got 4wheeldrive hardwares great price and picked it up the next day at my local 4wheelparts store.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #18085
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool.

IIRC, I did that experiment (along with a bunch of others) ~2 years ago. So I already knew what the results of welding spiders and side gears would be like.
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #18086
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about getting a locker for this weekend. Too stressful.
Just make sure your tow hooks are on front and rear and are rated at 10K lbs or more. Several of us have winches and are anxious to use them.
RJC#512
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #18087
lazyb34n
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post

that video was Awsome. I just emailed it to a bunch of friends, since me trying to explain it has yet to work with them.

Plus I finally learned why they make the pinion low on axles.
lazyb34n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #18088
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Me and Eric went mountain biking yesterday at lake Hodges and ran into these guys mating:

My phone doesn't zoom and I wasn't inclined to get any closer.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #18089
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

What kind of winch did Jerry Brandsford have?
jeep winches
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:49 PM   #18090
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amauri View Post
What kind of winch did Jerry Brandsford have?
jeep winches
I know it was a Warn - but I'm not sure which model.

Here's a pic where we were on SunBonnet Pass - but I can't see the winch well enough to make a call.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.