San Diego Area - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #151
JPJeeper

HAHA>... I have yet to find it... the trail... I saw pictures but cant find directions

I might take you up on that... Ground... We will see if the stuff all gets here.

JPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #152
dhsundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Chung
I'd like to check out Upper Coyote Canyon tomorrow (Friday), but I don't want to try it alone. Anyone else able to go? Meet at the trailhead SE of Anza at 9:30 am.
Russ

I'd like to join you but I've got to work on Friday. I know the area well- it's not used much, even on the weekends. It's too bad it doesn't go through on to Borrego Springs.

Dave
dhsundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #153
skates04
2008 JK Wrangler 

If any one is interested a couple of us are doing corral canyon this weekend (Saturday morning). Should be a mild day unless I can talk my friends into Doing bronco's peak.
Lucas
Unread 01-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #154
JPJeeper

Hey Mr. "I know the area well..."

How about Saturday then?

still looking to put something together.

Dave you doing anything?

I was thinking about sheeps canyon... or the place you were talking about.

Skates, I was up there last weekend, I really would like to find somewhere else. Don't take this wrong but if I can't, I would love to join you. Bronco, I think that a bit tough for my rig until the lift goes on in a week.

Larry, if you read this, call me we could do something.

How about the guys from last weekend? I have three places I would like to do, anyone up for anything?
Unread 01-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #155
JPJeeper

Ok,

Looks like Saturdays run will be

BIG BEAR...

Golden Mountain
Holcomb
John Bull

Looking for some snow?

Anyone what to tag along ....

Meeting 5 others at the 76 gas station in running springs around 8:00 AM tommorow..

They want to be heading out by 8:30...
Unread 01-20-2006, 02:48 PM   #156
TJSUPE

Went out there last weekend and ran Holcomb. There was a good amount of snow on Holcomb last week. I am sure some melted. Got through it ok. Some of the off camber areas were a little sketchy cause of the slip and slide affect.
TJSUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #157
JPJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSUPE
Went out there last weekend and ran Holcomb. There was a good amount of snow on Holcomb last week. I am sure some melted. Got through it ok. Some of the off camber areas were a little sketchy cause of the slip and slide affect.

Ya,,, Sketchy is my favorite.
Unread 01-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #158
Loser1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh-man.....I'm putting my lift on tomorrow.....Then I'll have to wait a week for the drive shaft....

Next Big Bear run.....

L1
Loser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #159
merkur92
2002 WJ 

jpjeeper,never been to big bear,what do you think about my wj with 2 inch budget boost lift and up-country springs,about another half an inch of lift,it has q-drive,front and rear limited slips,and 246-75-16 mtrs.Im not afraid of trails,just wouldnt want to hold anybody up on the trails.Also has a warn winch.Sounds like a good time up there.
merkur92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #160
JPJeeper

I'm going in a bone stock Rubicon... on 31's

Sounds like you would be ok...

Besides... If I can't make it... somebody needs to hang around while we do the easier stuff...

I have been assured that if I drive right... I will make it...

But they were glad to hear I had duel lockers...

How well does your lsd work?
Golden Mountain is supposed to be almost green btw...

Its Bull and Holcomb that will be tough
Unread 01-20-2006, 04:36 PM   #161
merkur92
2002 WJ 

my lsd seem to work pretty good,still there not lockers,Ive only had my jeep on mild trails so far but it did good.How built up are the other jeeps going? Any idea how mutch snow will be on the trails?
merkur92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #162
dhsundance

Jeff

I love going to BB- but haven't gone up there in the snow much. I wish it was a three day weekend. Then I could make it. But I already made another commitment for Saturday.

I'd like to come and help on the lift install. It's the same lift I want to put on my rig- so I can lend a hand, but I'll be taking pics too.

Dave
dhsundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #163
JPJeeper

Dave, your very welcome to come up on lift day.... I think its going to be next Saturday, Parts are starting to trickle in.

Merk,

They say the snow should be gone.

But the smallest rig is on 4 inch.. and 33s...

The main guy is runing 37's and one is running 40's..

That scared me until I read alot about the trails.

I reread your first note, it states you are on 30's... If that is right... I wouldn't do it...

Supposed to be tough but not undoable.

Your call.
Unread 01-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #164
SD_04_X

i think sometime on the 17th 18th and 19th weekend, team ground clearance is going to head up to Superstition or Borrego. i keep you posed when further details arise, until then check out our web site on my signature for updates. im sure we will post here as well.

jeremy

[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][COLOR="Lime"][[/COLOR]Team Ground Clearance - San Diego Chapter[COLOR="lime"]][/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.teamgroundclearance.com"]Check us out here[/URL]
SD_04_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #165
JPJeeper

Ok,

Saturday began with an early wakeup, we were going to Big Bear mountain area to run Gold Mountain and possibly Holcomb and John Bull.

Driving north from San Diego can sometimes be boring but we were greeted with the wonderful tempurature of 24 degrees while gasing up. Aparrently the desert is colder than the mountains because by 10 am we were greeted with tempuratures in the 40's in the shade to the 60's in the sun. We drove up the 15 north to the 215 east Then a blur of 30/330 all the while following the Big Bear signs. Heading up the actual mountain we were greeted with a banner mattress truck going 15 MPH all the way up... and NOBODY would pass him and he would not use the turn outs. At running springs we met Dale and Robby and Merker. After waiting a bit others started to show and soon we were off for the trailhead.

Driving at Big bear was fun, we got to view them making snow early and my daughter who had never actuallly been in the snow got her frist hand experience "Seeing snow". The drive continued on down to Big Bear lake which was partially iced over. Once we arrived at the trailhead everyone started to prep. We had 7 rigs... a bunch of people and a dog.

Golden Mountain. This mild trail has a few moments but mostly a level 1.5 trail Views of Big Bear mountian and the ski resorts abound. Climbing the mountain is mostly a gently slope with some steeper sections but no lockers required. Over the top of Gold Mountain starts a decent in a wooded and shady area. SNOW everywhere. Up until this point we had seen only patches of snow. You could see my daughter wanting to get out but we had to keep up or get left behind.

After getting off of Golden Mountain we were led by our fearless tour guides... um I mean Trail boss, on a exedition of great distance. We wound through wooded areas, plains, and rocky peaks. We decended loose bolder washes and climbed rocky terrain.

At the end of the day with the light waning. My daughter finally spotted the snow drifts and we pulled over...

I WON the snowball fight, don't let anyone tell you different.

I would like to thank the DirtDevils who invited me along. Thier site is WWW.Dirtdevils.org

Hope to see everyone on the trail soon.

We spent the entire day driving all the trails and as luck would have it... My batteries in the camera gave out. So what pictures I do have, are listed at jpjeeper.dotphoto.com

Enjoy

Great times...

Last edited by JPJeeper; 01-23-2006 at 02:00 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.