Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#21,141 ·
:

I suppose I could camp with you guys...as long as nobody I know sees me associating with a bunch of wrangler owners :shhh:
:cheers2:
hey we can make an XJ only camp, may be small attendance numbers though. haha

#21,142 ·
my Wife will be there as well. And we have another female TJ owner more than likely camping with us as well. I MAY be able to convince the wife to head out Thursday afternoon. she said she would think about it. In the meantime though Eric just come get the sign and stuff as planned.

#21,144 ·
Change of plans, looks like i managed to convince the wife to head out Thursday after all. Eric, you wanna meet up somewhere and Caravan it out there again? maybe meet up at Packards in Ramona again?
Heres the plan, either my girlfriend, or my gf and I will be in san diego by qualcomm picking up her cousin at noon, and then we will be headed back towards ramona so im gonna throw a wild guess and say we could be at packards at 2:00ish, what time do you think you would head out?

#21,145 ·
Heres the plan, either my girlfriend, or my gf and I will be in san diego by qualcomm picking up her cousin at noon, and then we will be headed back towards ramona so im gonna throw a wild guess and say we could be at packards at 2:00ish, what time do you think you would head out?
well hell dude if your gonna be by Qualcomm we can just meet up over there somewhere. thats right by me. My plan now is to go food shop Wed night when I get back from Vegas and do whatever prep I need to Wed night, load up Thursday morning and get the YJ hooked up and what not. I can be ready to be on the road by noon.

Wow you mean I will actually have light to set up the tent and camp? that pretty much never happens

How about the Burger King in Lakeside around 12:30? its the one right there at the end of the 67 before the climb up into Ramona.

#21,146 ·
well hell dude if your gonna be by Qualcomm we can just meet up over there somewhere. thats right by me. My plan now is to go food shop Wed night when I get back from Vegas and do whatever prep I need to Wed night, load up Thursday morning and get the YJ hooked up and what not. I can be ready to be on the road by noon.

Wow you mean I will actually have light to set up the tent and camp? that pretty much never happens
Well if we meet up near qualcomm, will we still take ramona to get there?

#21,149 ·
Change of plans, looks like i managed to convince the wife to head out Thursday after all. Eric, you wanna meet up somewhere and Caravan it out there again? maybe meet up at Packards in Ramona again?

How about the Burger King in Lakeside around 12:30? its the one right there at the end of the 67 before the climb up into Ramona.
Well if we meet up near qualcomm, will we still take ramona to get there?
yeah pretty much. lets just plan on meeting at Packards in Ramona around 1:30 or so. theres a gas station right there too so you can top off if you need to.
you guys do know that this thing is 3 weeks away right:hahaha:

#21,150 ·
Shoe83: Looks like the run went well. Sorry I had to miss it.

I get the Jeep back tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good to go. I do need some front brake pads according to the dealer. I'll probably get those at the beginning of the month some time after I check and make sure that's the case. If anybody has some time next month I'd like some help installing those and rotors. I'm not too up on brake maintenence so would like an experienced guide. This way I could meet some of the local wheelers as well. So if you have the time and the space to work on it I'll bring the beer and the Jeep.

#21,152 ·
Shoe83: Looks like the run went well. Sorry I had to miss it.

I get the Jeep back tomorrow. Hopefully it will be good to go. I do need some front brake pads according to the dealer. I'll probably get those at the beginning of the month some time after I check and make sure that's the case. If anybody has some time next month I'd like some help installing those and rotors. I'm not too up on brake maintenence so would like an experienced guide. This way I could meet some of the local wheelers as well. So if you have the time and the space to work on it I'll bring the beer and the Jeep.
I have the space and the technology but im up in Rancho Bernardo. Not sure where you are but there are probably people closer. Im free most of next month, other than TDS and my national TV appearance.

#21,153 ·
I do need some front brake pads according to the dealer. I'll probably get those at the beginning of the month some time after I check and make sure that's the case. If anybody has some time next month I'd like some help installing those and rotors. I'm not too up on brake maintenence so would like an experienced guide. This way I could meet some of the local wheelers as well. So if you have the time and the space to work on it I'll bring the beer and the Jeep.
Might consider the new Black Magic/Centric setup for brakes.

Way too much info here: Black Magic Brakes

PM mrblaine if you're interested, he's running a special on a rotor/pad package right now (and he's near Murietta so you could pick them up if you're near the Hwy 15/215 area)

I've installed two sets of these so far, pretty amazing results. Easy install but the break-in takes some attention. Let me know if you need some install help

#21,154 ·

PM mrblaine if you're interested, he's running a special on a rotor/pad package right now (and he's near Murietta so you could pick them up if you're near the Hwy 15/215 area)

I've installed two sets of these so far, pretty amazing results. Easy install but the break-in takes some attention. Let me know if you need some install help
I plan on buying them once my brakes are up

#21,159 ·

Those are the exact ones I'm getting from that same source. I read about them for a few days before I inquired on them and they sound like they will fit the bill. If I do it I may as well do it with something that's a bit better than what was on the Jeep already. Thanks for the tip though. And I'll gladly take you up on your assistance if you're free after I get them.

#21,160 ·
Scored two sets of Hella 500's on craigslist for cheap! Anyone wanna help me wire them up?
no, seriously. were they used? and did they have the stone gaurds for them? and what wattage are the bulbs. I had 100 watt and 125 watt bulbs in mine. Pics please!!!

and so help me if they are mine the name number and address of the scum you bought them from so I can grab my Ruger P90T and go pay the dirtbag a little visit American History X style