San Diego Area - Page 1056 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego Area

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #15826
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Jason, what are you doing for a roll cage in your Jeep?
The current plan is to not roll.

I haven't really got that far in the XJ plan. I haven't even looked at different designs. Maybe start looking at that next year.

Unread 09-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #15827
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

U.S. House subcommittee to consider banning riding on 9.4 million acres
Publish date: Sep 23, 2009
By: Press Release

Email|Print|Share|Save|License
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- In a surprise move, the chairman of a U.S. House subcommittee has scheduled a hearing for next week on a proposal that would ban off-highway motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and bicycles from more than 9 million acres of public land in Utah, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

The AMA is urging all riders to contact their U.S. representatives immediately to ask them to oppose the proposal, H.R. 1925, which is the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. Concerned riders can contact their federal lawmakers by going to the Rights section of the AMA website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com and then clicking on the "Issues and Legislation" link.

While U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva of Arizona, who is chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, has yet to officially announce his intention to hold the hearing, the AMA has confirmed that H.R. 1925 will be considered on Thursday, Oct. 1.

The bill, introduced by U.S. Rep. Maurice Hinchey of New York, would ban motorized recreation on 9.4 million acres of public land in Utah by inappropriately designating it as Wilderness.

The devastating proposal would impact the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock riding areas, among others.

"The measure is totally unreasonable and completely unacceptable," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. "Continued responsible access to public lands is a vitally important right for current and future generations.

"This is just the latest step in a massive land grab being orchestrated nationwide by anti-access forces who are seeking to eliminate responsible off-highway riding on public lands by any means necessary," Moreland said. "They want to turn all public land into their own exclusive playground.

"It's important to note that this legislation would make sweeping changes to existing riding areas despite the fact that much of the land to be classified as Wilderness is already managed by federal agencies through local processes and decisions," Moreland added. "The best management of public lands is through local input, and the fact that a member of Congress from New York is proposing closing land in a state where none of that state's own representatives support the bill makes this measure even more unfair to those who live and recreate in Utah."

In 1964, Congress approved the National Wilderness Act that essentially set the criteria for designating land for Wilderness protection. That law was to preserve land that "generally appears to have been affected primarily by the force of nature, with the imprint of man's work substantially unnoticed."

The law led to a nationwide survey of public land to determine whether it should be designated as Wilderness. Since 1964, some 107 million acres nationwide have earned the designation.

"The AMA strongly supports properly designated Wilderness areas," Moreland said. "But anti-access opportunists who oppose off-highway riding are misapplying the intent of Wilderness as a means to push responsible riders off our nation's public lands. It is a disturbing trend that, if allowed to continue, may ultimately spell the demise of responsible motorized recreation on public lands. Indeed, as we speak, there are about a dozen Wilderness bills being considered on Capitol Hill that would close about 36 million acres to off-highway riding. It's patently unfair that so many appropriate off-highway riding areas are being taken away without additional new opportunities being introduced."

Earlier this year, Congress fast-tracked a bill with little public input that President Obama then signed into law to designate as Wilderness some 2 million acres in several states nationwide.

"So with the stroke of a pen, off-highway riding was banned forever, and even more public land is threatened now with closure," said Moreland.

All riders who want to take action on this matter can immediately contact their federal lawmakers by selecting the Issues and Legislation link in the Rights section of the AMA website at www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com.
San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #15828
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Done, I sent my letter to Congressman Brian Bilbray. The bastards.

We all need to sign that petition, thanks guys.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #15829
StvDiego

My first thought is what in the hll is some weenie from New York who has probably never been off-roading much less to Utah doing putting this garbage together...

There is something seriously wrong with the United States government, and the voters who vote for them, when this fool has the time to waste millions of gov't dollars chasing off-roaders away when the country needs real leaders to get the US back on track

Thank you, rant over signed the petition
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #15830
Brett77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thomas Jefferson said it something like this in 1776 233 years ago..

But when a long train of abuses and seizures of our rights, pursuing invariably the same object.
Demonstrating clearly a design to reduce us under absolute governmental control.
It is our right, it is our duty,
to throw off such (you know what goes here) and provide a new gaurd for our future security.....

Signed the petition
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #15831
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I found my way to contact Bilbray but I did not see a petition, am I just blind?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #15832
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Gonna try to get my junk put back together today (saturday)

Have some errands until about noon though.

Last edited by jbolty; 09-26-2009 at 10:00 AM..
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #15833
StvDiego

Got my new Sprint MiFi and just hooked it up. It is way cool, faster than I expected and I'm my own mobile hotspot.

I'm ready for real camping, with broadband internet access for up to five users

Now I need the elusive cellular repeater that I can mount on/in the RV
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #15834
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
My first thought is what in the hll is some weenie from New York who has probably never been off-roading much less to Utah doing putting this garbage together...

There is something seriously wrong with the United States government, and the voters who vote for them, when this fool has the time to waste millions of gov't dollars chasing off-roaders away when the country needs real leaders to get the US back on track

Thank you, signed the petition
AGREED......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Done, I sent my letter to Congressman Brian Bilbray. The bastards.

We all need to sign that petition
Do you have a link for this???
Unread 09-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #15835
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm home now for projects. Nothing I really need help with today but company is welcome and feel free to work or your stuff.
Unread 09-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #15836
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
Do you have a link for this???
American Motorcyclist: The Official Site of the American Motorcyclist Association

Look in that long post above about this that explains where to go once you get there.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #15837
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
Hahaha, i forgot about that. So how's that XJ coming along Jason, any grocery store carnage yet?

It's been a while since anyone planned a trip, anyone have any suggestions once the heat goes away.
Nothing huge going on. Just getting it caught up on the maintenance stuff that obviously hand't been done. Planning on hitting the Offroad Expo next month to buy the fun stuff.

Halloween weekend seems to be the landmark day for desert season to kick off. I can't wait!

Hey, are we gonna do another trip and have Jeff and Sebastion do a Iron Chef thing again?
Unread 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #15838
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone going to the Chargers game today? A buddy had an extra ticket so I am going to go...thought I'd check and see if anyone has any good tailgating going on...I think we are taking the trolley for some reason...
San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #15839
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did yard work all weekend. What about you guys?
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #15840
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I helped a neighbor design & weld an upper deck to the front portion of his trailer so he could haul 2 quads above his 4 seater buggy. We worked on it till ~2:00AM this morning & then finished up painting it today.

I have one more axle truss to finish welding up & then I need to concentrate on my YJ and some trailer maintenance of my own since I leave this Thursday for Colorado & Moab.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.