Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#13,382 ·
I've been thru my vac lines, matter of fact I recently replaced a few cracked elbows on the vac system. could the charcoal canister be bad maybe?
lots of possible issues.

canister could be bad. line from there to the tank might be leaking. not sure if your year has a rollover valve.

manifold gasket. gas cap. filler tube. sender gasket in the tank.

also, the egr could be leaking.

wild guess would be a vacuum leak after the throttle body; if it was before the computer wold try to compnsate for it. OR, the O2 sensor or wiring could be bad.

are you getting any codes?

#13,384 ·
no, no codes throwing. my fuel cell does have a roll over valve and I have a line routed from that to the vac canister just like the original vent line. it did pass last year and then i had the roll over vent line routed to the air intake, but that was before they started this evap test garbage so i re-routed it to the vac can instead. think tomorow I'll give it a basic tune up and give it a once over and try again

#13,385 ·
maybe they left the vent hose disconnected?
Since it was the front diff I wonder what was causing the lack of power. Think gear oil got where it wasn't supposed to belong?
They got under there late yesterday afternoon and called me to tell me that it was their fault - they overfilled the diff and when it heated up and expanded it blew a plug out (not sure how I missed that but I was focused up underneath where all the fluid landed I guess). They hadn't had time yet to investigate the O2 sensors, and I don't know exactly where they are located, but I would guess that the fluid splashed up there on one of them...they'll let me know today I'm sure.

#13,386 ·
no, no codes throwing. my fuel cell does have a roll over valve and I have a line routed from that to the vac canister just like the original vent line. it did pass last year and then i had the roll over vent line routed to the air intake, but that was before they started this evap test garbage so i re-routed it to the vac can instead. think tomorow I'll give it a basic tune up and give it a once over and try again
Is it failing the pressure test as well? Don't reroute the lines just to pass that. That can screw things up. Mine wouldn't pass the pressure test before I sold it so I pulled the tank and resealed every line going to the tank. I used that Permatex spray on sealer. It kinda looks like snot when you apply it. Worked like a charm.

#13,387 ·
They got under there late yesterday afternoon and called me to tell me that it was their fault - they overfilled the diff and when it heated up and expanded it blew a plug out (not sure how I missed that but I was focused up underneath where all the fluid landed I guess). They hadn't had time yet to investigate the O2 sensors, and I don't know exactly where they are located, but I would guess that the fluid splashed up there on one of them...they'll let me know today I'm sure.
Are they going to replace the gears as well? I've heard that if gears overheat they can very well be screwed for life and never work right. Again, thats second hand knowledge but something worth checking into.

#13,388 ·
Are they going to replace the gears as well? I've heard that if gears overheat they can very well be screwed for life and never work right. Again, thats second hand knowledge but something worth checking into.
I was brooding over this as well...I guess it would depend how much fluid was left in there. I'll definitely be talking to them about it today.

#13,389 ·
I was brooding over this as well...I guess it would depend how much fluid was left in there. I'll definitely be talking to them about it today.
probably not a big deal if the overflow just burped out the vent.

#13,390 ·
#13,397 ·
May the lord have mercy on my soul.

I bought this tonight. Might need a hand getting it home this weekend.

$750
Very cool. :thumbsup: Still has the black and yellow license plate?

Drop a big block in that bad boy.

As for this weekend.... I decided to wait on the body lift. I would rather help you with your tube fenders after we do my flares. I'll save the bl for another time. No hurry.

I'll be there early, what should I bring besides a sixer of PBR?

#13,398 ·
Very cool. :thumbsup: Still has the black and yellow license plate?

Drop a big block in that bad boy.

As for this weekend.... I decided to wait on the body lift. I would rather help you with your tube fenders after we do my flares. I'll save the bl for another time. No hurry.

I'll be there early, what should I bring besides a sixer of PBR?
You don't need to bring anything.

Do bring the BL, if you get it in time. We can get it in, there will be plenty of hands on hand.

BTW, Premo asked me to get that sign for him. I'll get it next trip to Hemet.

#13,399 ·
Is anyone doing any camping or wheeling this weekend? I thought I heard Brandon might be camping on Friday night...and some people may join him for some wheeling on Saturday?

I am trying to plan things out a little bit...I want to camp on Friday and Saturday nights....and I had wanted to do some light wheeling Friday (possibly) - and wheel on Saturday - but the catch is that I absolutely HAVE to be in good cell phone reception area on Saturday between 1pm & 3pm. I'd also like to have a really cool area to camp in - not just a patch of sand....heck, a place that I could drop a fishing line would be cool as well, but that might be asking too much around here...

Any ideas on what might fit the bill? If I have to do a morning run Saturday and then cut loose to drive somewhere to have solid cell phone reception for those two hours and then come back, I can do that...as long as I have a solid plan that accounts for possible breakage and still gets me to cell phone range...

Anyone know any awesome spots that I can get in and out of fairly easily or maybe there happens to be a cell tower out there already?