Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego Area

2M views 41K replies 369 participants last post by  Joe Dillard 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking to hook up with some beginning to intermediate off-roaders in the San Diego area.

I am a newb to jeeping but not to common sense. I bought a jeep to try, and if I like it I will buy another and give this one to my daughter.

I am truly a quick learner and looking for other beginners or some old salt that is just willing to share the wisdom of their experience.

I would like to go jeeping at least once a month and of course more during the learning stages.

Currently, fire roads are all I have found around hear and a few construction areas.

What I am proposing is that all the way south newbs UNITE... if we can find some old salts to come along we can all learn faster. But I say lets get this thing rolling...

WHO IS WITH ME....?

Current jeep is

88 YJ
31x10.5.15 BFG ATs
I6 258 carbed
Pretty good condition but I am replacing all the parts that should have been replaced ages ago. (Hoses/clamps/Top etc...)
(The jeep sat for 3 years so I'm shaking out all the cobwebs...)

See less See more
Reactions: w6pea
#3 ·
I have not touched real dirt in the jeep yet... and I am new to the area. I bought a book of the so cal trails..

But you can't go alone...

Is it an overnight trip?

#5 ·
JPJeeper said:
I have not touched real dirt in the jeep yet... and I am new to the area. I bought a book of the so cal trails..

But you can't go alone...

Is it an overnight trip?
well, depends on where you live ;)....but for the most part, ANZA (especially the easier trails) are just a day trip away....

here's some pics of a friend's recent trip (yes, that's a VOLKSWAGEN, lol)

#8 ·
Well let me get all my squirting fluids under control and we can get going.

I am very adventurous but I fear my jeep would crumble under what I want to do. The problem is, this is not the jeep I will be building up. So I want to start slow and see what she can do.

Somebody pick a decent trail and set a date.

#12 ·
17th is my daughters 16th birthday.

I need to get her out of the house until 2pm (Suprise party)

So... if it was an early morning thing I could do it.

Either that or that Sunday would be good as well.

#14 ·
I might be down. Have you guys checked out that justruns club I linked above? They have maps to a lot of the local trails. They are a friendly bunch and very eager to help newbs. That is where I initially learned a lot.

John. :wave:

#18 ·
JPJeeper said:
WHO IS WITH ME....?
I head to Anza about twice a month (except in the summer of course). I'll already be up there that weekend with an older club I belonged to. You're welcome to tag along. On Saturday we'll be doing Rockhouse Canyon- it's an easy trail that we typically wouldn't be doing if not for the fact our club placed a geocache there years ago and it's gone missing. So we need to replace it. After that we'll be doing the Calcite Mine trail. Hopefully on Sunday we'll head down to the southern end of the park and do the Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill or head all the way down to Canyon Sin Nombre. It all depends on the level of skill of the people on the run.

Dave

#19 ·
dhsundance said:
I head to Anza about twice a month (except in the summer of course). I'll already be up there that weekend with an older club I belonged to. You're welcome to tag along. On Saturday we'll be doing Rockhouse Canyon- it's an easy trail that we typically wouldn't be doing if not for the fact our club placed a geocache there years ago and it's gone missing. So we need to replace it. After that we'll be doing the Calcite Mine trail. Hopefully on Sunday we'll head down to the southern end of the park and do the Squeeze and Heart Attack Hill or head all the way down to Canyon Sin Nombre. It all depends on the level of skill of the people on the run.

Dave
got any details? i'll head down (from LA) if this other thing falls through...

#20 ·
JPJeeper...I'm glad there is at least one other person in SD that appreciates jeeps. I see wranglers all over down here but its hard to get a hold of anyone when your passing them on the freeway. (besides the fact that they would probably look at you funny if you tried) I'm leaving for a snowboarding trip on the 16th and don't get back until Jan 10th or so...BIG trip this year. Are you planning on going out often? I recently bought a TJ about 6 months or so ago and I'm in love. I haven't had a chance to go on a REAL run yet. I'm down to go- just email me Ptmurray@comast.net all ya gotta say is dude I'm going on a run, and I'll be there. LATER