San Diego AMC/JEEP Mechanic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > San Diego AMC/JEEP Mechanic?

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
MrBrightside

San Diego AMC/JEEP Mechanic?

Hi all,
I have a 1975 Jeep Cherokee with the AMC 360 engine. Started blowing Blue smoke today... does anyone know of a decent mechanic in the San Diego area that can handle a valve job/possible re-ring? I haven't owned my Jeep for too long, so I haven't had a chance to look around much. TIA

MrBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like you blew your rings. You really need to bore it out and sleeve it or bore it out and get bigger pistons. A ring job is only going to get you about 50K miles tops. On top of that, once you get it down to that level its really a better idea just do a full rebuild.

Kenyon Machine hooked jbolty (another member, feel free to PM him) up with a really good deal on a full rebuild.
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
JPJeeper

I just did a complete rebuild on an amc360 not to tough.

Also a rebuilt one will run about 1250 for a longblock.

It's about a weekend job...

I have two amc360 cores you could have one for 100 bucks... the engine could be built out of the car and that would make it a lot cheaper.

Anyway. Good luck.. as you can see, I have a few FSJs
1975 J20 Jeep Truck
1967 J3000 Jeep Truck
JPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

As Jason said, I had my 6 cyl rebuilt at kenyon for about $1250, new pistons, new cam, bearings, the works.

I did the R&R. Very happy with everything

took them about two weeks to get it done but I did not plan the schedule ahead of time with them so they fit it in.

good luck
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.