Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

San Diego AMC/JEEP Mechanic?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jbolty 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 1975 Jeep Cherokee with the AMC 360 engine. Started blowing Blue smoke today... does anyone know of a decent mechanic in the San Diego area that can handle a valve job/possible re-ring? I haven't owned my Jeep for too long, so I haven't had a chance to look around much. TIA

#2 ·
It sounds like you blew your rings. You really need to bore it out and sleeve it or bore it out and get bigger pistons. A ring job is only going to get you about 50K miles tops. On top of that, once you get it down to that level its really a better idea just do a full rebuild.

Kenyon Machine hooked jbolty (another member, feel free to PM him) up with a really good deal on a full rebuild.

#3 ·
I just did a complete rebuild on an amc360 not to tough.

Also a rebuilt one will run about 1250 for a longblock.

It's about a weekend job...

I have two amc360 cores you could have one for 100 bucks... the engine could be built out of the car and that would make it a lot cheaper.

Anyway. Good luck.. as you can see, I have a few FSJs

#4 ·
As Jason said, I had my 6 cyl rebuilt at kenyon for about $1250, new pistons, new cam, bearings, the works.

I did the R&R. Very happy with everything

took them about two weeks to get it done but I did not plan the schedule ahead of time with them so they fit it in.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.