Question for those with 8.8 rears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Question for those with 8.8 rears

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
ryan_l

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Question for those with 8.8 rears

Hi All!
I am in the process of stuffing an 88 under the YJ. I have a question about the shafts. I've had my eye on the Yukon eliminator kit but is it really necessary? I don't really plan on beating the YJ too much. Probably Corral canyon would be the toughest it would see. I'm running 33s and will have a locker. With that in mind, would the stockers be plenty or should I go with Yukon or any other aftermarket for that matter. I just don't want to waste time and money here. Thanks in advance for the input. I'm sure there are millions of threads on this but I wanted some local input that knows the trails we have here.

ryan_l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Carry spare shafts and see what happens. I haven't had any trouble in several years.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
ryan_l

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Carry spare shafts and see what happens. I haven't had any trouble in several years.
Thanks Jeff. I'm guessing you still have the stockers. I know how you wheel. That's the information I was looking for.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I kept bending stock shafts at the axle shaft flange, partially due to side loads. I slightly bent the ARB main crosspin as well due to sideloads.

Luckily, Blaine selected me as a Super 88 tester back when he was developing the kit for Superior. After the Super kit went in, it resolved all issues.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Locked with an ARB on 35s with steel beadlocks. Never had an issue with the stock 8.8 shafts. The Dana 30 however is a different story.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
ryan_l

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I kept bending stock shafts at the axle shaft flange, partially due to side loads. I slightly bent the ARB main crosspin as well due to sideloads.

Luckily, Blaine selected me as a Super 88 tester back when he was developing the kit for Superior. After the Super kit went in, it resolved all issues.
I remember you talking about that super 88 which was why I was considering the Yukon kit. I like the idea of eliminating the c-clips plus the Yukon shafts are 4340. I think i'm going with a spare set of stockers and keep them handy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.