Quality Emmisions Mechanic needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Quality Emmisions Mechanic needed

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
dzrtrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quality Emmisions Mechanic needed

As the title says i'm in need of an Emmisions mechanic to help me get my 94 YJ back on the street and trail, over the last couple years i have had her in to alot of different shops and have replaced about every possible piece associated with emissions and she still cannot pass, spent the last week and a half at the dealer and all they would say is replace this and replace that which was already done within the last year. the failure is in "NO", the rest of the test passes but looks like the vehicle is running on the lean side which is causing the high "NO". so if anyone knows a mechanic who is good with reading test results please let me know. Thanks, Darrin

dzrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think sdmoose429 might be able to help out. He lurks around here from time to time.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

He runs the smog station over by miramar rd off black mountain rd.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you could have high combustion temps which is causing high NOX readings. How old is your exhaust system? Any potential leaks before the cat on it? Have you tried Seafoaming the engine to help clear the gunk out of it?
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
dzrtrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk803c View Post
Sounds like you could have high combustion temps which is causing high NOX readings. How old is your exhaust system? Any potential leaks before the cat on it? Have you tried Seafoaming the engine to help clear the gunk out of it?
The whole exhaust system is new from the cylinder head to the tail pipe, i have not tried seafoaming the engine because i think the high NOX readings are related somehow to the low HC readings of 1 at 15 and 25 mph and low CO readings of 0.1 at 15 and 25 mph, i think somewhere in the system the PCM is not getting the information to increase fuel supply, oh and yes the PCM is also new as well as all the engine sensors. Thanks for you replies
dzrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Never hurts to seafoam it.

Otherwise, pm sdmoose429. He should be able to help you out.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Darrin,
Joey is right that the NO is caused by high combustion temps and pressures. So, has the head been surfaced? And, what brand of O2 sensor are you running?

We have found over the years that anything other than Bosch will cause a high NOx reading. I'd also like to see a Lamda on this. Call me, or drop by, with you VIR and I'll check it out. 858-549-9550. The Smog Station 1.
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk803c View Post
Never hurts to seafoam it.

Otherwise, pm sdmoose429. He should be able to help you out.
Actually you are wrong. Using Seafoam, you have to be careful. Pouring it thru the intake/exhaust can waste O2 sensors and also jack up the Cat. It has to be a slow dribble dribble and dont let the jeep stall out at the same time as not to rev it up. You also might get shot by your neighbors when they get engolfed in a billow of white smoke and think the Koreans just attacked.

I used it for the 1st time like 10 yrs ago and got to aggressive with the brake booster into the intake pour. It stalled. Wouldnt start for a day... then when it did it just bucked and puttered. I thought I screwed it up HARD... It cleared out but for that day I was stressing BAD.
Ive used it since with great results. Drop it into your oil about 300 miles before an engine change, drop it into your gas tank, and run it thru your intake/exhaust carefully.... Worth a shot.... just the instructions.

Is the jeep overheating at all? Have you done a compression check? Right plugs? Tune up parameters correct?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.