Pissed at ORW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Pissed at ORW

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pissed at ORW

Not sure if this is a good place to share. But I need to vent so here goes.

Got a Teraflex 3" lift installed on my 2013 2 door Rubicon. First day noticed a rattle and quickly found out the rear shock was not tightened down.

I was pissed but they apologized. I should have not gone back but I gave them another chance.

I decided to upgrade and get control arms installed.

Now a week later, a loud noise from the rear again. This time the bolt fell out of the control arm!

Like the main bolt which attaches the rear upper control arm to the frame, was hanging out. I couldn't get it back in, and I was afraid to drive it with the control arm loose like that. Had it towed to the ORW.

They are closed on Sundays, So we will see how tomorrow goes.

I thought I would be better off to have a pro install my stuff. Boy was I wrong. I could have f'ed up an install my self for free.

MikeHoncho88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Best installer is YOU. Lifts aren't hard to do and VERY rewarding plus it saves you money. Those clowns at places like that don't care about your vehicle and they esp don't care about torque specs and what not..
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ha! I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Which Off Road Warehouse have you been taking it to?
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've always ended up at 4wheelparts to buy stuff, though I've never had them install anything. My good buddy Tanner and me are usually enough to do the job.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was at the El Cajon Store.

I used to install my own stuff, but I have been having some health issues lately, and crawling around under the jeep is kind of unpleasant for me right now.

Plus I thought having a pro do it would be safer. Boy was I wrong.
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

1st of all, sorry for your health issues. I understand the predicament and frustration that ensues however, what better way to make friends than to throw a wrenching party... ZERO shame in that plus people like me who love to work on jeeps can do so....
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to hear that. I've always had a pleasant exp with the Balboa store, however, i've always just purchased odds adn ends from them. The only thing i've had them do was put new ball joints into my JK yrs back when i swapped axles.

most of the stuff i buy though is from 4WP. I know a lot of people won't buy from them because they're the big bad store that closes down all the little stores and yada yada....but there's a reason they're so large. they also put their money where their mouth is when parts fail. thats just my 2C
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
I was at the El Cajon Store.

I used to install my own stuff, but I have been having some health issues lately, and crawling around under the jeep is kind of unpleasant for me right now.

Plus I thought having a pro do it would be safer. Boy was I wrong.
I, too, sympathize with you on the health issues. Can't do most of my car work anymore either. So, now I'm a manager and a teacher. Call the store and make an appointment to talk to Craig. Don't just walk in and expect him to drop everything. He is the manager and avid wheeler, and has been a tech in the past so he understands the problems that pop up. If he doesn't make you happy, let me know, and I'll get it done for you. Stay calm and be concise. As angry as you may be,(rightfully so), try not to lose your temper. The poor work cannot be undone, but they can make amends in other ways. Have a clear idea of just how you want them to compensate you, (you know like lifetime wholesale pricing).

We're all human and humans make mistakes. That's what warranties are for. The truly scary thing is that it happened to you. TWICE! Was the work done by the same tech each time? If so, there is some "re-education" due. You owe it to the next guy that has some work done to address the failures. JMHO
Unread 10-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
We're all human and humans make mistakes. That's what warranties are for. The truly scary thing is that it happened to you. TWICE! Was the work done by the same tech each time? If so, there is some "re-education" due. You owe it to the next guy that has some work done to address the failures. JMHO
This is true. Shades of gray however when the mistakes are made by "professionals" who are taking your money. Darker shade pushing black when it's twice. Years ago when I first bought my tj (Nov of 96) I got the VERY first lift for a tj. Teraflex. I had Dick Cepek in Pomona (at the time) install it because I assumed it would be a chore and that they would do it correctly. After the lift was done I was happy. Everything seemed great, Nothing scratched or damaged. Cool. Then I went on a road trip to Carlsbad Caverns. Half way there we stopped at Sedona. Well I started hearing clunking. Found 3 of my 4 lower control arm to axle housing bolts flopping around. Also found my rear track bar loose. How hard is it to read the install and torque things down with a torque wrench and not a 3/8 ratchet? Just because the mechanic (hopefully) graduated from some overpriced automotive trade school or more likely is the shop owners cousin's son doesn't mean its done correctly and it certainly doesnt mean that they dont have to fix it after it's failed. What if I crashed(which could of been easy)?
On a shop owners point of view, that's SERIOUS liability. They need to get their techs in line. Who else has that guy caused issues with? I'm HUGE on torque specs. Maybe its my profession but when something comes loose, no matter how over engineered it is, it aint working.
Hopefully you get the issue resolved. I hate to say it but if you've tried once, they didnt get it right, you tried again and they didnt get it right, maybe you need to either go to the local business bureau or tell them you either want your labor fee's waived since they didn't comply with the exchange of product (money for service) or you want store credit or something along the line. I've got plenty of tools and elbow grease if you need it.
Unread 10-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
redluve1
2008 JK Wrangler 

So did you take it back t orw and get things fixed?
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the responses.

They did fix the issue both times. Justin, the salesman, told me that all the techs had to do a sit down with the store manager and were basically told to get their **** together. He offered me a $100 gift card, an unspecified discount on anything they sell for life, and of course they still stand behind the lift and labor for life.

I could have probably thrown a fit and gotten more out of them, but that's not how I roll. I was happy with the offer and I took it.

Also, I am not sure, and did not ask if it was the same tech both times.

Not sure why, but if I do get more work done, I may actually go back to them. Mistakes were made, but overall I have been happy with the customer service. I may crawl underneath and check things on my own next time though.

Now...How to spend this gift card?
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If I was the SM and I had to tell all of the techs to get their **** together, they would all be looking for another job.

One or two techs is one thing, all of them is another.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

xmas is coming up. You could give it away to one of us friendly fellow jeepers for the advice..
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #14
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
Thanks guys for the responses.

They did fix the issue both times. Justin, the salesman, told me that all the techs had to do a sit down with the store manager and were basically told to get their **** together. He offered me a $100 gift card, an unspecified discount on anything they sell for life, and of course they still stand behind the lift and labor for life.

I could have probably thrown a fit and gotten more out of them, but that's not how I roll. I was happy with the offer and I took it.

Also, I am not sure, and did not ask if it was the same tech both times.

Not sure why, but if I do get more work done, I may actually go back to them. Mistakes were made, but overall I have been happy with the customer service. I may crawl underneath and check things on my own next time though.

Now...How to spend this gift card?
They have been making those mistakes for years now. They were the first place I went to when I bought my first Jeep a few years ago. I had them put on front and rear bumpers, quick discos, new tires, winch and fix a seal in one of my Fox shocks. Out of all of that, they were able to mount the tires correctly. I had problems with everything else. The salesmans said it was the installer's fault, the installer said it was the store managers fault, and so on.

It's your money and you can spend it where ever you want. I suggest you buy your stuff from them and install it yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of members on here that would love to help you out if you needed it.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

My experience with ORW has generally been to run over there for something (it's a mile from my house) and they almost never have what I need in stock. If you ask them to order it they add on shipping. Why bother? I can order it myself from 10,000 other places and have it delivered to my door.

It's not just YJ stuff either. Last time I was there the hooks for the ARB locker fittings and parts were stripped bare and they had no X760 u joints in stock.

As for the help, they lose interest pretty quick when asked to do anything other than write up a lift for a bro truck.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.