Old winch: would anyone want a hickey sidewinder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Old winch: would anyone want a hickey sidewinder?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
jeeps123

Old winch: would anyone want a hickey sidewinder?

Anyone ever use one of these 70s winches? I have one sitting here, and I'm not sure if I should keep it or try and sell it. I'm debating whether getting a modern style winch is better

Unread 12-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
StvDiego

There's a pretty good market for those on the full-size truck forums, especially old Chevy's and Baja boards. Check ebay and elsewhere, they can sell for more now then when they were new.

I remember that winch well, besides owning a couple over the years, one on a Scout and one on a GMC truck, I was at Vic's near Ventura with Dave Deal when the Blazer was strung up.

Hickey designed the original Blazer that started life as the Trailblazer with an engine that Chuck Yaeger had a hand in developing. Hickey also started the original design of the now Humvee that started life as a Ford concept and in his later years he designed the low-floor U-Haul trucks.

Last I heard someone in Tacoma, Washington owns the Hickey trademark and Vic's original Blazer.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
NYTrailrider
1988 MJ Comanche 

Run it till it breaks.

THEN buy a new one.

Else, what's the point?
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
jeeps123

good poitns
Unread 03-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
G713
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just got done rebuilding one.
G713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

rebuild it, or if it runs great as it is, just clean it up. I think older winches are cool. Just cuz it's new doesnt mean it's better. Older ones have more style.
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
skillsaw62

Hickey Sidewinder

I have owned 2 of these in the past. Bought the first one in 1977 for a Chevy 4 wheeler, worked fine, liked the hidden look behind license plate. Sold it with the truck. Bought another Sidewinder in 1978 and put in on a Chev Blazer, worked just fine for me, used it many times. They are slow compared to others, had several Jeeps over the years and always put Ramsey's on them, didn't care it the Ramsey's were hidden or not on a Jeep.

If you want to get rid of the Hickey Sidewinder, let me know. Also what condition is it in, photo would be nice, have all the parts, etc.

Hope I answered a question for you.

Thanks!
skillsaw62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.