OK, repair and BEER day... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > OK, repair and BEER day...

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 05-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
lazebum
2001 WJ 

OK, repair and BEER day...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am throwing this out there, i need to replace the waterpump and timing belt in my WJ (4x4 4.0) and the waterpump and timing in my 00 Jetta 1.8t

I have all the parts but i am a little worried about doing this job as i have never done one before. SO i am throwing this out, Saturday, if anyone can come or if i can go to someones house, i will supply the beer of your choice if you just keep me from compleatly ruining the cars. From what i understand the jeep is pretty stright forward and the jetta, well it might be a little bit of a pain but again from what i have read the hardest part is contining the mess of antifreeze.

So if anyone in the Temecula area or Oceanside area is down for a beer saturday i would appricate the help. Also if done at my casa, i might provide steaks for dinner and pizza for lunch, or whatever is decided. But i dont know if i have all tools needed.

01 4.0 WJ - Kolak Brake upgrade, Addaco rear sway bar, 3' OME springs, JKS Adj Track Bar, Bilstine Shocks, MOOG Steering Stablizer and TRE's, IRO SYE front kit with a Double Cardan drive shaft, DANA 44a rear swap, booster seat, 7yrold Son, "Don't Tread On Me" Sticker and plates, oh yeah that is how i roll!!
lazebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can't this weekend. Got some stuff to fix myself before the trip next week then mothers day commitment on Sunday. Can it wait a while?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
jeeps123

Mom's day wknd is already booked solid, my man. Otherwise I'd be up there wrenching
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty close to you, but the weekend is booked. If you could do it on a week day my son and I could cruise over and help you out. I'm free most weekdays other than dropping my kids off and picking them up from skrewl.
Beer and steak ...
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
lazebum
2001 WJ 

yeah i dont get home until 7pm-ish so during the day is a no go. But the car i think one of my work friends is going to help saturday so thats good to go and hte jeep will have to wait to another weekend or maybe next week if i can get a whole day off. The jeep needs some other stuff too before I trust it on the trail. like a new fan.
01 4.0 WJ - Kolak Brake upgrade, Addaco rear sway bar, 3' OME springs, JKS Adj Track Bar, Bilstine Shocks, MOOG Steering Stablizer and TRE's, IRO SYE front kit with a Double Cardan drive shaft, DANA 44a rear swap, booster seat, 7yrold Son, "Don't Tread On Me" Sticker and plates, oh yeah that is how i roll!!
Unread 05-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The Jeep 4.0 has a timing chain not a belt. The chain should last the life of the engine with proper maintenance. If you are changing the water pump due to replacing the "belt" on the 4.0 it's not needed. Now if you are replacing it because it's leaking/broke.....

The Jetta, it's a good practice to swap out the water pump when swapping in a new timing belt, if it's driven by the timing belt. Now the why, 1) You just spent 4-8 hours replacing the belt, inevitably, the water pump will start leaking a week later. 2) Now that you have the (new) tensioner/belt put on, the water pump decides to freeze up. This rips the teeth off the new belt, which in-turn doesn't turn the camshafts but the crank is still spinning. Pistons don't like to hit open valves, if it's an interference engine. (Took me 2 times to realize this on 2 different engines.)

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 05-06-2010 at 09:43 AM..
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was assuming you meant the serpentine belt on the WJ. Replacing that and the water pump isn't that hard of a project. I even carry an extra serpentine belt for my Wrangler in the under hood ammo can. Never know when that thing is gunna' let go, or somebody else's.
If you can get a day off, I have almost every tool made except a pickle fork, because I don't like pickles. I plan to get one next time I'm at the tool store tho', in case somebody else likes pickles. Those things are nasty. But I digress...
I'm available all week except Friday the 14th, 'cuz I'm going camping. This weekend is booked too.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
lazebum
2001 WJ 

I dont need to change the chain on the Jeep, i just figured since i was swaping out the waterpump cause my jeep is starting to overheat when i sit for a little bit of time. I hear the fan kick on and have checked it does blow air, i have put in a new thermostat and have replaced the radiator(long story) also the fan is aftermarket. The new fan kept it cool for about a week then it started to overheat again. Also it has 130,00 on it and i know i have put 60,000 on it sonce i got it and i have not changed the waterpump.
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
lazebum
2001 WJ 

So, for the Jetta i replaced the waterpump and timing belt last week. Went in smooth...until the next day (hence why i have not been around and did not go on camping trip)

I replaced it last sat. and monday morning the check engine light came on...no biggy i though maybe just an O2 sensor. Well now the car will not start when it warms up. It starts fine when cold but when warm it will not catch. When running the car runs fine, no smells no smoke no noises. Im stumped. Also if anyone has a VAG tool (VW Code reader) or a OBD II reader it will help. Thanks.
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

I've got a friend in Murrieta (down the street from RicRotorhead) that has the VAG tool. He's not a Jeeper so he may charge a couple bucks. Let me know if you want to get in touch with him.
on two wheels anymore!
Camoflauge, camoflauge, I disappear when I pull out of my garage!

PM me for LED light bars and HID off road lights
smcalpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
lazebum
2001 WJ 

PLEASE!!! ill throw a cpl his way. Ill PM you my cell.
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

Done! PM sent.
on two wheels anymore!
Camoflauge, camoflauge, I disappear when I pull out of my garage!

PM me for LED light bars and HID off road lights
smcalpac is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.