Off topic question about my shortsale.(taxes) -
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Off topic question about my shortsale.(taxes)

6th annual beat your wife to the credit cards sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales at

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 738
Off topic question about my shortsale.(taxes)

I did a shortsale on my Townhome last June (CA) and it falls under the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act which expires at the end of this month. I have a 1099 that the IRS sent me. It's my understanding that a CPA can waive the amoujnt on this 1099. The amount is the difference from what I bought the home for and what I sold it for. 130,000 dollars. When you take a lose, it shows as taxable income. My question is: has anyone gone through this process and or how do I go about doing this? I went to an H&R Block against my better judgement and they were stupdified. They had no idea about the Relief Act as I figured. I just walked out. Anyone have a good tax person I could even be counciled by? Any help is appreciated.

If @ 1st you don't succeed, grind it, hammer it, weld it, drink a beer and try again.
brokenujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
carnell's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vista, Ca
Posts: 294

Don't hold me on this but if I remember correctly, the 1099 is waved as long as it was your primary residence and this was your first short sale. Any tax person should know how to do this.
carnell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 619
Kevin, I have a great deal of tax experience, I owned and ran a tax company for 5 yrs, and am getting a masters in Tax. The 1099 you got was from the mortgage company, not the IRS. Assuming you qualify, the normal forgiveness of debt equals income doesn't apply on the forgiveness on you house. There is a specific form you have to fill out. I can recommend you to a good CPA that can do this for you. PM if you want the referral.
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.