Odd missing person story - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Odd missing person story

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 03-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Odd missing person story

This dates back to thanksgiving of 2009 but for some reason is getting attention again.

At the time there was a call put out to help rescue a stuck jeep in the area of Heart Attack Hill. Not long after a thanks was sent out, jeep recovered, all good. Now, months later it turns out the kid who had been driving the jeep never made it home and has been missing ever since. Very strange. Apparently a group from JustRuns did a seach a while ago but there has been no press coverage and very sketchy details.

Help Find Mickey Guidry | Facebook

The jeep was found here: N33 02.917 W116 17.900

And later a blanket was found here, about 1.5 miles away: N33 03.875 W116 17.239

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
EnFuegoUno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Crazy...its just very strange that some departments classify missing persons as runaways.
EnFuegoUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

jeez crazy, i dont know why you wouldnt just stick with your vehicle. something fishy there.
ankyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnFuegoUno View Post
Crazy...its just very strange that some departments classify missing persons as runaways.
Quote:
One week earlier, detectives learned, Guidry’s stepfather reported his motorcycle stolen. Guidry had taken it joyriding on Ortega Highway in a state park in Riverside County. When it ran out of gas, he walked out and upon meeting up with a park ranger, made up a story that he’d been kidnapped, but escaped. The fib sparked a helicopter search for the kidnappers, until the teen confessed to a Riverside Sheriff’s deputy that the story was not true.
Quote:
According to Detective Patrick Yates, “The Mom reported that had happened before that. Ours is perhaps the third or fourth time that he had taken a vehicle from the parents.”
Quote:
“Thanksgiving weekend is the busiest of the year. Tens of thousands of people were in the desert…It’s likely someone would have come across him. If it was at night and he was on foot, someone could have given him a ride.” -- Detective Patrick Yates
Quote:
On Saturday, the 28th, a family off-roading reported the Jeep abandoned, tire worn to the rim, along Fish Creek Wash, 22 miles along a rugged, rocky off-road vehicle trail on November 28th. They spotted it in the morning, but didn’t report it until 5:30 p.m., when Ranger Don Strampfer at Anza Borrego State Park confirmed the Jeep had been reported stolen. Guidry’s stepfather reported the Jeep stolen but declined to file a missing persons report on his son, believing the boy would return as he had in the prior joyriding episode.He'd asked permission to go camping for the weekend with friends, and when his parents refused, he took off in the Jeep.

Last edited by Jeebs; 03-17-2010 at 12:26 PM..
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
StvDiego

We were planning on going out on that "rescue", there was a group of us who were all ready to head out and it was called off literally at the last minute.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
We were planning on going out on that "rescue", there was a group of us who were all ready to head out and it was called off literally at the last minute.
Any reason given?
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
StvDiego

It was thru Just Runs and some Scuff people from El Centro area. I was on the way to get my Jeep after work and got a call about 4:30pm that the Jeep had been found and recovered, never heard anything about it again until now.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Coyote food.

Hope it's just a run away case.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's the latest dope on this. I guess I can see the source of the confusion but still don't see why it was left gathering dust for so many months.

This is from the SCUFF forum

Quote:
My name is Ken Boyd, I know Bob Engel from San Diego adventure riders (sorry to out you as a biker Bob), and I called him and asked him for advice on recovering Doug's jeep the week after Thanksgiving. Bob was very helpful and I appreciate the advice, and offers for help from this group.

At the time we recovered the jeep, it was thought that Mickey (the missing 16 yr. old) was probably laying low to avoid punishment. A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving he had been in trouble with the law, had been grounded, phone turned off, the works. He wanted to go camping with his girlfriend Thanksgiving weekend, but was forbidden. He took the jeep without permission, and that's where I come in.

Doug called me from Afghanistan and asked if I would get the jeep back to his house for him, the authorities were handling the search aspect. There were some snags with the search effort, as I understand it, the sheriffs department originally classified him as a runaway before changing that to missing.

Many things have not gone well for the situation to get where we are at, the bottom line is that Mickey still needs to be found, and your help would be appreciated.

Doug went out to the area yesterday afternoon and concluded that the best meeting point would be the large parking area just NW of the intersection of Hwy S2 and Hwy 78. The parking area is approximately .3 miles north of Hwy 78 on S2 (Look for sign that says “No Dumping” - N33 06.068 W116 28.477). Please be at the meeting area no later than 9am. if you would like to help.

In the next couple of days, plans will be made about how to best utilize volunteers. Chris Crawford is helping Doug coordinate the search. They are contacting the head of the original search party to get the info on the first search.

Here is a link to the SDAR thread which should have information added as it is available.
Mickey's Search and facebook thread - San Diego Adventure Riders

Thanks, Ken Boyd
Unread 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Look for bleached out bones. He's been missing since Thanksgiving?
Lots of rain since then. The desert moves around a bit when it rains.
Hope they find him alive somewhere haniging out with friends.
RJC#512
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Any news on how the search and rescue went last Saturday?
RJC#512
Unread 03-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Any news on how the search and rescue went last Saturday?
nothing found, as expected.

Lori's daughter works at KPBS and at KNSD and she was able to get it on TV at both places, plus there were a few paragraphs in the paper. As you say, he is either hiding out or washed away with the rain.
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
lazyb34n
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Channel 6 news ran a short story about it to last week.
lazyb34n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
MissyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Coyote food.
Doing a random google search on Mickey brought me to this forum.. And I have to say that some of the remarks from people are just disgusting~ NONE of you know the full story, only what you've heard from the media (which haven't been forthcoming with the FACTS). Did you ever stop to think that perhaps Mickey's family might read some of these comments...?

Yes...we do. and you just called my son "coyote food".. Just wanted to say thanks, I appreciate your humanity and support.
By the way, I am his mother.
MissyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Would you be willing to share the facts that the media has been "hiding"? It seems that a lot of people invested time, energy and money into this situation and it would only be fair that they have the facts themselves.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.