New to SD and Jeeps. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > New to SD and Jeeps.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New to SD and Jeeps.

I just found this San Diego Forum and wanted to say hello to everyone.

I have made a lot of mistakes with my 99 Sahara build in the short few months I have owned it due to my ignorance and plan to set things right. I started with refreshing how it looks rather than drives first and now I'm in over my head

I only have about 10 miles of driving it but I soon discovered the driveline vibes but only recently found out what was causing it. The next phase of this refresh will be dealing with a new SYE, driveshaft and rear upper control arms it seems.

I wish I had done more homework before this purchase but its too late now lol. I hope to go to some meet and greets soon as there is no substitute for chatting with experienced people and getting some ideas looking at Jeeps in the flesh.

A little about me... I have lived in WA most of my life and Hummer H1's have been my passion for the most part. My son just turned 12 and wanted a project so we decided on a TJ. I'm a stay at home dad and do a lot of cooking and laundry but don't get out much. I hope to change that soon. I'm in Chula Vista about 5 miles from the border as my wifes company does all of the manufacturing in Tecate. Anyone else by me?

Any suggestions are welcome and the beers/cocktails are on me if you are in the Eastlake area.

Here are a couple pics of what I have done so far. After I paint it and put on all the parts I have here in boxes I will be starting the important part

The day I brought it home.

As it sits now, stripped and waiting for paint. Changing everything that was tan to black and about to line the tub.

My most recent project that will never be done but good enough for now.

alicethecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome. Always plenty of advice to be had or alternatively, pointing and laughing.

Personally I would skip the tub lining for now and focus on the mechanics.

Post up more details of what's been done and what you're planning.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Welcome. Always plenty of advice to be had or alternatively, pointing and laughing.

Personally I would skip the tub lining for now and focus on the mechanics.

Post up more details of what's been done and what you're planning.
There will be plenty of pointing and laughing at me I'm sure. The suspension options alone are just baffling to me. This has been a steep learning curve. I wish I could start over and focus on the mechanicals but my wife has cut me off the CC until I empty all the boxes in the garage and finish the first wave.

This TJ has spent its entire life in the sun. It it missing some paint and the passenger floor board has a little rust. Being from Seattle I decided to take care of that first. After I line the tub and paint it I have all new stuff for the interior and I'm painting all the interior black.

So far I have just removed the interior and rockers. Put new tires on and powdercoated the wheels.

It has a 3.5 inch procomp lift from the previous owner and they did not sort the vibes out hence my next move with her.
Can I get away with just the SYE, drive shaft and RUCA's? I hope so as I did not budget for this and the $$$ just keeps adding up. Also who would be the best to install these things here in SD? I want it done right as this will be my Sons Jeep some day. Thank you.
Unread 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

First piece of advice would be read till your head hurts, then read some more and if your still confused dont be afraid to ask questions before you spend the cash.

You should be able to eliminate the vibes with what you have listed. For the RUCA's look into anything with a Johnny Joint. They may seem a little pricey but I guarantee that they are worth it. If funds are tight right now you may want to look into getting a MML to see if you can clear your vibes with that first. If it doesnt clear them you only spent 150 dollars on something you will likely need down the road anyway.

What you took off was simply the Sahara molding and not a rocker guards if my memory serves me correctly. They will do little to protect your tub in the rocks.

Do you mind listing what you have already ordering and are sitting on waiting to install.

Lastly you should be able to install everything you have ordered yourself and if you arent uncomfortable doing so there are plenty of people in this section that will be ready to help as long as you can withstand some joking harrassment.
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsouthjeep View Post
First piece of advice would be read till your head hurts, then read some more and if your still confused dont be afraid to ask questions before you spend the cash.

You should be able to eliminate the vibes with what you have listed. For the RUCA's look into anything with a Johnny Joint. They may seem a little pricey but I guarantee that they are worth it. If funds are tight right now you may want to look into getting a MML to see if you can clear your vibes with that first. If it doesnt clear them you only spent 150 dollars on something you will likely need down the road anyway.

What you took off was simply the Sahara molding and not a rocker guards if my memory serves me correctly. They will do little to protect your tub in the rocks.

Do you mind listing what you have already ordering and are sitting on waiting to install.

Lastly you should be able to install everything you have ordered yourself and if you arent uncomfortable doing so there are plenty of people in this section that will be ready to help as long as you can withstand some joking harrassment.
Thank you for the help. I have the CA's down to Rokmen, curry and Savvy. I want to do all of the arms as $$ allows but just the rear uppers now.
I didn't know what to call the rocker things. I have some new stuff to go on there. Other stuff I have... new top, windows, exhaust system, some tufffy items and a complete stereo system. All of theses things I do myself here in the garage but the driveline stuff will be left up to a pro.
You think I will need a motor mount lift? I really want to do this the right way.
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

From the pictures it looks like you have a transfer case drop. This is used to compensate for the change in driveline angle from a lift in an attempt to prevent driveshaft vibrations. They work sometimes but create a shovel under the jeep. A motor mount lift raises the front and causes the rear to drop and is another attempt at correcting the angles; it's commonly done and often a good idea as part of a tummy tuck and in conjunction with a small body lift.. The best solution is an SYE and a longer driveshaft with properly set angles. You should probably get adjustable control arms or wait until everything is set like you want it and get fixed length.

I guess for now you can do the cosmetic stuff. Really you need to go out a few times and identify your issues on the trails.
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If I take a few pics of underneath tomorrow in the sun would you be able to confirm this? Before I start ordering stuff I would like to know what I have. As I said this will be for my son and want it to be completely sorted and done right the first time. Thanks again for all of your help. I forgot to mention that I want this Jeep to be good in the sand. I have dreams of hauling it up to Pismo and other dune areas. I have had my fill of trails, rock crawling and mud. I don't know what trails look like here so I might change my mind but the sand is what I'm thinking.
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You were right. It has a Transfer case drop and I don't want it. I hope I can reverse this stuff and do it right.
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

more pictures of the hummer? Have you taken it offroad?

using JeepForum app
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sand is different. Really a wrangler is not all that great in the sand because they are heavy and potentially tippy. You can improve it with wide tires and bead locks so you can air down without losing the bead. Another challenge in sand is wheel speed which comes from having a lot of horsepower and/or good gearing.

Of course cruising around the dunes is a lot different than blasting up and over.

What you really need is a gypsy rack for the hummer, and I just happen to have one. Genuine USMC part.
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRoberto View Post
more pictures of the hummer? Have you taken it offroad?
using JeepForum app
Pics of the build... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3932229/2002-hummer-h1
And no, I have not and will not be taking this one off-road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Sand is different. Really a wrangler is not all that great in the sand because they are heavy and potentially tippy. You can improve it with wide tires and bead locks so you can air down without losing the bead. Another challenge in sand is wheel speed which comes from having a lot of horsepower and/or good gearing.

Of course cruising around the dunes is a lot different than blasting up and over.

What you really need is a gypsy rack for the hummer, and I just happen to have one. Genuine USMC part.
I just want something that doesn't get stuck all the time like 8 out the 9 H1's did on the last Pismo trip. I bought tires for it that better be decent in the sand.
I would love to have a rack on my Hummer but it would not fit in the garage. I would like to pics of it. I can spread the word to the other 2 door owners (we are a small group).
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
TrailersPlus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Instead of taking it to pismo - have you considered taking it to the more local areas where there's far more (~1,000,000x's more) sand to play in and way less restrictions?
TrailersPlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #13
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Glamis is number one on the list but I have friends that gather in pismo a couple times a year. I'm new here so thats all I know.
Unread 06-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
TrailersPlus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Understood.

There are several other areas besides Glamis that have sand too that are in SoCal. Dumont Dunes being one of them.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/dumont.html

Lots of Jeepin to do in Dumont too.
TrailersPlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:33 AM   #15
alicethecat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well I decided to skip most of the cosmetic stuff other than lining the tub and making the tan interior stuff go away. Thanks for the advice guys.
I'm about to order the stuff to deal with the vibes when I get it drivable again. Looks like Savvy rear upper and lower control arms, Tom Woods driveshaft and AA SYE. I hope to install the cat back and do some brake work too. I bit off way more than I can chew with this one but it has been a fun learning experience. If anyone is ever in Chula Vista (Rancho Del Rey) please let me know... I would enjoy meeting some Jeepers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.