New to California - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > New to California

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip Elim1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler Turn Signal Switch (Wells)

Unread 05-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
cpeters1928

New to California

So I'll be headed to California in late June and wanted to know of any good wheelin spots in the San Diego area around MCAS Miramar.

Please let me know!

cpeters1928 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeters1928 View Post
So I'll be headed to California in late June and wanted to know of any good wheelin spots in the San Diego area around MCAS Miramar.

Please let me know!
Fill out your profile.

Welcome to SD and the forum. Unfortunately, no wheelin near MCAS, but lots of good trails 45-60 mins away (corral canyon), or out at Superstition, Big Bear, or a few hours away at Johnson Valley (King of the Hammers).
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What that guy said. ^^^
Are you a stock jeep on 27's or a buggy on 44's or somewhere in the middle? A trail's worthiness is in the eye of the beholder. Some people on here think the 805 to the 5 is a challenge while others take it to Johnson's Valley.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Please let me know!
If you're coming from Camp Lejeune, NC, it's gunna be a big change of scene.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
cpeters1928

Right now it's just stock

But I have plans in the near future for a 3in lift and 35s maybe bigger.

It's still gonna be my everyday driver so not really gonna be doing a huge build and not looking to do any very difficult trails but I would like to get out there and have some fun on the trails and do some crawlin.
Unread 05-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
cpeters1928

Anyone from MCAS on here?
Unread 05-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right now it's just stock

But I have plans in the near future for a 3in lift and 35s maybe bigger.

It's still gonna be my everyday driver so not really gonna be doing a huge build and not looking to do any very difficult trails but I would like to get out there and have some fun on the trails and do some crawlin.
Start with Pancake Rock, Elliott Mine, Santa Ysabel Creek Trail.

Going from Stock to 35's is a lot more than just slapping some bigger tires on.

Check out 4x4corps they are a group of primarily military guys.
Try Justruns.com they often do tamer, stocker friendlier trails.

Most of us here are on 35's+, but you are more than welcome to join in, hang out. Once you get here keep an eye out, we try to do a meet and greet (wings & beer) occasionally.
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #8
cpeters1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrw600
Start with Pancake Rock, Elliott Mine, Santa Ysabel Creek Trail. Going from Stock to 35's is a lot more than just slapping some bigger tires on. Check out 4x4corps they are a group of primarily military guys. Try Justruns.com they often do tamer, stocker friendlier trails. Most of us here are on 35's+, but you are more than welcome to join in, hang out. Once you get here keep an eye out, we try to do a meet and greet (wings & beer) occasionally.
Thanks!

Biggest tire I've ever run was a 33 on my old cherokee so the 35 should be an adjustment.

Would you say 35s would be just enough? Or should I maybe look into something bigger? Again not really sure what's out there but I also don't have a huge budget for this.

As far as a 3in lift goes, is there anything else I should get along with it?

I know with my old cherokee anyway at a certain lift height you need to put in a SYE. Is there anything like that on these newer wranglers?
I have seen that you need to put in a new driveshaft at certain heights but anything else?

Also, assuming you're on the air station, is there one of those auto skill center places where you can use their tools? Or is it kind of limited to whatever you can do in the parking lot? Just trying to see what's out there.
Unread 05-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think there is anyone currently active duty who belongs here right now; people come and go. I know there is a fully stocked auto shop at Miramar and over there years a few guys have done a bunch of work there. I have not been on base in years but assume it's still there.

Wait til you get here, go out a few times then see what you want to do. With the shorter wheelbase the drive shaft angle becomes an issue pretty quickly with lifting.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
z_gilligan
2010 JK Wrangler 

Auto Hobby shop is still there, fairly nice shop. Let me know if you need anything
z_gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #11
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

33's and a stock set up with a limited slip and a 3" lift will be ok until you want more. Then if you go to 35's it's cromo' axles, regear, either high line or bigger lift, possible brake upgrade, better steering. If you have a dana 35 in the rear it will barely work with your 33's. Going 35's and it will fail. Your front 30 will need to be trussed. Its a can of worms going to 35's but worth it... Then you'll want 37's...
When you come out here and wanna run with myself, Jbolty(Jeff), Rrw600(Ron), Climbit (haha), Premo( leaving us for awhile), you can manage with 33's but you'll get some body damage if you dont get a gas tank skid (mandatory), and some rockers (mandatory). You'll want some tow points, a recovery bag, and at least one locker (2 preferred). See how it is out here and determine if you want bigger or not. And we have plenty of garages and beer to assist
Unread 05-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
cpeters1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint
When you come out here and wanna run with myself, Jbolty(Jeff), Rrw600(Ron), Climbit (haha), Premo( leaving us for awhile), you can manage with 33's but you'll get some body damage if you dont get a gas tank skid (mandatory), and some rockers (mandatory). You'll want some tow points, a recovery bag, and at least one locker (2 preferred). See how it is out here and determine if you want bigger or not. And we have plenty of garages and beer to assist
Thanks! I think I'll probably take you up on that offer haha

So in your opinion, if you where me, in what order would you build?

Lift and tires first, Lockers first, New gears, axles, armor...?

I've heard many different opinions on this and it seems every one is different!

My last jeep I think I kinda jumped the gun. I guess I was kind of excited to finally own a jeep and went straight to a 4.5" lift and 33s and out the window went all my money and I was left with a big lifted poor performing jeep cherokee. While I did love it it seemed as though it just simply couldn't do what my other friends jeeps seemed to do with ease that where a lot smaller.

I just don't want to make the same mistake again. Also, (side note), I've never actually done much in the way of actual rock crawling before. At least not to the extent I see some do it. The wheelin I am used to is more of some small mud holes but ultimately a lot of dirt/sandy hill climbing without the threat of landing hard on a big rock or really hitting anything other than hard dirt and tree roots so the actual rock crawling it's for the most part new to me. Especially with a manual trans.
Unread 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #13
z_gilligan
2010 JK Wrangler 

I bought my jk new in 2010. First did skids, then winch bumper, then AEV 2.5 lift, finally just got new rims and tires. I bought the Jeep while stationed in DC and those upgrades suited me well for the mud/rocks out East. Wanted to wait until stock tires where done. Finally settled with 315/70 17s Goodyear Duratracs. I will have lockers/regear'd before I try to go to moab next spring. Jeep runs great with the 34s and stock 3.73s. Thats my way, mainly based on need and budget. Some say lift first, some say.... Whatever you wanna do and makes sense for what you want to get into.
z_gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #14
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

San Diego aint mud thats for sure. Mud is forgiving. Out here it's rocks. With that said, 1st thing on the list if I were you is protection. Just like my daddy used to say, "If you wanna %$@#@ around, you need protection."

Gas tank skid with out a doubt.. Then some side rockers, Then get back to us.
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

What he said. This is why you need at least a gas tank skid. My jeep saw a scorpion and jumped up on that rock.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.