Need mechanic in San Diego area - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Need mechanic in San Diego area

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Need mechanic in San Diego area

My daughter is in the Coast Guard in San Diego, and was bringing her jeep from Texas When it broke down by El Centro. It sounds like the fan broke, and trashed the radiator. Can anyone recommend a mechanic close to the Navy base? She is having it towed to San Diego tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

JealousDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
abobaen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i dont know any mecanics here, but i am also on the navy base, and we have a hobby shop where we can work on all our own stuff for really cheap. if its just a fan and rad, it would not be too diffacult to do, and much cheaper. i would be willing to show her where it is, and even help her, but i also have issues with my jeep that need to be fixed. im always willing to help out a fellow service member though, and a fellow jeeper.

[QUOTE=YouStupidBunny;13020222]I'm too old to play with Lego's, so I got a Jeep.[/QUOTE]
abobaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

which base? 32nd street?

most everyone on here does their own work so the number of mechanics to recommend is probably thin.

I do know a good trustworthy guy at sunset cliffs automotive in ocean beach. If you stay on I-8 till it ends, turn left and go about a mile it's there on the left.

(619) 224-9521
talk to Frank and tell him Bolty sent you.

this is maybe 8-10 miles from the naval base and a little closer to the coast guard station.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Her dorm room is in Snyder Hall (I think that is the way it's spelled) I'm not familliar with the base, but I know the Coast Guard has the the top floor.
I hope that it's just a fan and a radiator, but who knows. What makes me mad is that I just put that radiator in last year!
Hey Bolty, I guess that Frank is off tomorrow (Sunday) any ideas what their hours are Monday?
Thanks for the help, you really feel helpless 1500 miles away.
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

8am, I would guess. If they tow and drop there tomorrow (sunday) tell them not to block the coffee lane. They share the parking lot with a coffee hut and it causes no end of parking problems.

Sounds like maybe the fan clutch came apart.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
abobaen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hey, just wondering if everything went alright, or what route you planed on going.

[QUOTE=YouStupidBunny;13020222]I'm too old to play with Lego's, so I got a Jeep.[/QUOTE]
abobaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey everybody thanks for the help. A couple of her shipmates made the drive to El Centro this morning and are helping her repair it there. It sounds like water pump, fan, and radiator all are shot. Theyr'e hoping to get it running and drive it on in today. Hopefully they can find all of the parts on a Sunday. Much better than paying the Dealership $100/hr for labor!
I'm sure she will keep Sunset Cliffs phone number for later just in case, so thanks a lot Bolty. Maybe you Navy guys aren't so bad after all!
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Travis_

too bad i didnt see this earlier i am about 30min from el centro. i could have helped out. i even have a trailer.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.