need help troubleshooting the YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > need help troubleshooting the YJ

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

need help troubleshooting the YJ

ok so heres the deal. i went underway(navy) for the week. the wife emails the the day i leave and says "the jeeps broken". oh god what now.... hahah

she hops into the jeep in the morning and it revs really high when in nuetral. when the rpms went down she drove off. it drove fine til she shifted into 3rd gear. once she shifted she said it just died right away. she tells me she kept trying to at least get it to work or back to the house but everytime she shifted it would die on her.

well that was monday when i left. she got it towed back to the house and its sat since i got home today(jan 13) at about 6pm.

i got home and tried to see what was going on. i turned it on and it idles perfectly fine. i can give it gas and its fine. i pulled off in 1st gear and everything went great. once i got to the higher rpms of 1st then shifted into second it bucked really bad then sounded like it was backfiring making a loud popping noise. it'll ride rough all the way through 2nd then die when you shift into 3rd. it'll just die and coast. after it dies it'll start just fine but keeps wanting to die. i have to keep reving it to keep it running. turned around at the end of that block after it dying like 3 times just trying to make a u-turn on my street. once i get it turned around it has all the same symptoms as before. once i get to my house and coast with the clutch pressed in to turn into my driveway it dies.

i can let it run in my driveway all day in neutral with no problem. i can rev it and everything and its perfect. its just when i drive off it bucks and dies.

i have no clue.

my friend said a good way to tell if its my clutch or throw out bearing is to try to start it in 2nd and drive off. supposedly if those are bad it'll die. i can drive off from 2nd NO PROBLEM.

i checked my fuel filter and it was clean as a whistle.

i tried to check some of my vaccuum lines but its dark out.

anyone have any ideas at all? i have to work tomorrow but will be right back to troubleshooting on sunday.

thanks a lot.

-chris

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

wild guess maybe the distributor advance?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

how do i check that jeff?

Unread 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

check the timing while revving the engine and see if it changes. I assume it rolls ok? Nothing binding in the driveline stealing power?

You will probably get a lot more ideas in YJ tech; many more eyes over there.
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i also posted it in the yj section, just figured in here if someone has had the same problem they could help a lot easier....

i'll try checking the timing whenever the heck im not working.

thanks for the help

PS. i still owe you guys some beer

Unread 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have much experience with the early 4.0 set up. Does that have an OBD-1 or 2 ? I do have a scanner.
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

its an obd 1

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.