Need help passing smog with my 1990 jeep w/ carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Need help passing smog with my 1990 jeep w/ carb

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
BobbyJoe619

Need help passing smog with my 1990 jeep w/ carb

I own a 1990 jeep wrangler 4.2 L. 6 cyl. Manual w/ carburetor and it won't pass smog. It is registered in San Diego California, had no problems passing in 2011 and everything has been kept stock. I failed evap test, gas cap failed, and failed emissions because NOX is too high at 15. mph. ( max. is 714 my MEAS is 960). My CO% read MEAS 0.00 (max 0.52 ave. 0.10) At 25 mph everything is fine and has a pass. Any suggestions?! Please help!

BobbyJoe619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

high nox is generally caused by a bad cat, bad EGR or a too lean condition with overly high combustion temps.

The 4.2 is notorious for vacuum leaks so start with that.

Take off the egr, clean it and make sure it's moving freely.

See if the fuel vent system is all solid and pay attention to the rollover valve up inside the right rear fender.

Go here for a hose diagram and other info.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJoe619 View Post
I own a 1990 jeep wrangler 4.2 L. 6 cyl. Manual w/ carburetor and it won't pass smog. It is registered in San Diego California, had no problems passing in 2011 and everything has been kept stock. I failed evap test, gas cap failed, and failed emissions because NOX is too high at 15. mph. ( max. is 714 my MEAS is 960). My CO% read MEAS 0.00 (max 0.52 ave. 0.10) At 25 mph everything is fine and has a pass. Any suggestions?! Please help!
Had that issue on my 90' Auto 4.2.....I paid like 800$ for repairs and checks...then had it smogged and it went from 1148ppm to 2600ppm.....

I tried cleaning the EGR which made it worse, I tried checking the vacuum tubes but just kept finding more and more that were dsiconnected that I couldnt figure out where they were supposed to go.

Check your Catalytic's 'return' pipes it turned out both of mine were completley rotted through and not even doing anything..and check the Cat mine got water in it through the rotted holes in those 'return' pipes (the narrow ones that go back to the manifold and air box) and ate the entire inside out....
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
BobbyJoe619

Thank you guys for the suggestions, they are very helpful. Now I know what to do with my Jeep first thing in the morning. It doesn't surprise me at all that the guys at Harloff ( Gold Shield certified smog repair shop) didn't have any other suggestions besides throwing out the carb and installing a Howell fuel injection kit! They made it seem like no one will work on carburators anymore.
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you have the money for a howell kit do it immediately.
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
BobbyJoe619

Ok is there a good place where I can buy a used Howell kit that is in excellent condition? If I get a brand new one and have Harloff install it with 10 man hours it will cost me around $2,200!
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Kits pop up on craigslist once in a great while and sometimes on ebay. Personally I would get it direct from Howell for the warranty and support and do it yourself. Best mod I ever did.

The other alternative is to swap in a 4.0 with fuel injection.

Sounds like you can get the smog passed if it's only high nox.
Unread 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Get the Howell kit and put it in yourself. You have to learn how to work on your own Jeep, because these are high maintenance toys. None of that maintenance free stuff, and that's what makes them such a fun hobby
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
BobbyJoe619

cool. I am going to run the Jeep through the diagnostic phase first at Harloff tomorrow to check everything before ordering the FI just in case.
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Before you do anything or spend any money on an FI kit make sure the engine is otherwise in good order. Good compression, no excessive oil use, no cooling problems, etc.
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
BobbyJoe619

Also I will admit that I am a rook and it will be a bad mistake if I try to do this myself
Unread 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
BobbyJoe619

Thanks jbolty just what I had in mind!
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJoe619 View Post
Ok is there a good place where I can buy a used Howell kit that is in excellent condition? If I get a brand new one and have Harloff install it with 10 man hours it will cost me around $2,200!
A problem with buying a used Howell is that getting support for CARB issues from Howell (and getting a CARB sticker) becomes much more difficult.

i wouldn't worry about the install as a DIY, if Jeff (jbolty) can do it anyone can
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

nothing to it

Unread 05-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
StvDiego

cut the green wire

or is it the blue??
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.