Ideas needed for camping trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Ideas needed for camping trip

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
TheTurd

Ideas needed for camping trip

Better half is out of town at the end of Oct. Just bought a Jeep, but not new to camping or Ocotillo/Superstition/desert camping. My buddy and I are talking about having a boys weekend where we start somewhere, say off the 8 in Oc or Superstition and drive up towards Palm Springs. Maybe I'm being super ambitious, but the gist is, I want to drive during the day and camp at night and if I can drive from one highway to another through the desert for 2 or 3 days, that is mission accomplished in my eyes. Anyone do anything like this? Any ideas? I'm open to anywhere west of AZ and south of Vegas.

TheTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Look into this. It follows a 19th century trail route from AZ across CA. There are whole books and websites about it. Keep meaning to make time for the trip.

Bradshaw Trail - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

Bradshaw's Desert Trail To Gold
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Look into this. It follows a 19th century trail route from AZ across CA. There are whole books and websites about it. Keep meaning to make time for the trip.

Bradshaw Trail - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

Bradshaw's Desert Trail To Gold
It didn't say in the article. Is the town of La Paz still there? Is it a ghost town?

Another trail that can be done in a weekend is the trail from Trona, over the Panamint Mountains into Death Valley. That is a great trail. I've done it four times in an S10 4x4 blazer. Plenty of mine shafts, old mining equipment, ghost town, challenging terrain, and more. Surprise Canyon.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
TheTurd

Thank you both so much. I will start putting the research pen to paper. Google. Go!
Unread 08-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
3Samudra
2013 JK Wrangler 

trail rated

i'm interested in this...it's a great time of the year and lots a time to plan...
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
TheTurd

I'm interested in you being interested in it. I'm going to look up some details and open the invite.
Unread 08-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
TheTurd

Alright. I want to open this up to anyone who wants to go. I have been reading like crazy and it looks like we're going to head to the trail early morning of Oct 22nd. We'll drive most of the trail and spend time doing a lot of the side routes up to the mines and such. I would like to camp on the trail about half way through that night. Sat we'll get up and drive some more side routes and end up at Wiley's Well. I would like to do some geode hunting later that day and then camp at Wiley's Well or Coon Hollow that night. Head back Sunday. Anyone interested/would be interested/suggestions that would make you interested?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.