How to deal with a stupid ticket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > How to deal with a stupid ticket

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
bengee
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How to deal with a stupid ticket

So I got a ticket on base the other day for not having my doors on... Now I know California law states that its okay as long as I have mirrors, but the base order is "Vehicles manufactured with doors must possess and have them secure without straps/wires...etc"
I go to traffic court on the 14th and am trying to find a way to either get out of the ticket or get the base order changed.
I've called Jeep customer service to ask them if they even consider wranglers to be manufactured with doors and they said that the technical answer is yes. But on base there are tons of Wranglers and even a few Grand Cherokees without doors.
How can I challenge this and win?

bengee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Officer I am sorry, They were stolen this morning and I was on my way to get new ones as you pulled me over. Should be considered a fix it ticket and wouldnt sweat it. Now military,?? I dunno.
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You are on a military base, you are subject to military law.

While I do not know of any CA law explicitly prohibiting driving without doors, the doors on the TJs are subject to new Federal side-impact crash testing standards (which were put into effect in the mid-ish 1990's). So, TJ doors are in effect Federally mandated safety equipment. AFAIK, federally mandated safety equipment cannot be removed from any vehicle that is to be operated on public roads. So technically, it is against Federal law to remove the doors from a TJ and drive it on the street. By extension, even tube doors on a TJ or JK would technically be illegal for use on the street. I could be wrong, but this is how I've interpreted the law.

BTW, I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Take as many pics of the other rigs on base without their doors as you can and bring to court, and present the case that it is general practice during good weather to remove them. If they let you off, then you have some ammo to get policy changed.

Then start up the chain to get policy changed if possible. Up hill climb with that, but maybe. Good Luck
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Damn military police. I've driven around w/o doors for nearly 20 yrs and the only thing I'd be concerned about are the mirrors. Ive been pulled over w/o doors, mirrors, no light for my rear plate, no front plate, no flares and tires out to wide. STILL got off with a warning. I guess it depends on the cop. They typically aren't looking for jeepers. They are looking for racers and gang bangers and speeders. God knows a jeep doesnt speed.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

MP aren't like State/city police.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk803c View Post
MP aren't like State/city police.
Want a be's
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
wtracing
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah it's just a fix a ticket. Show up with the doors on the jeep and say they were stollen and you just got new ones. They just trying to be usual bf's and fill their quotas and the base magistrate doesn't give a ****
wtracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.