JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   SanDiego (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/)
-   -   How to deal with a stupid ticket (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f262/how-deal-stupid-ticket-1521269/)

bengee 05-09-2013 09:10 PM

How to deal with a stupid ticket

So I got a ticket on base the other day for not having my doors on... Now I know California law states that its okay as long as I have mirrors, but the base order is "Vehicles manufactured with doors must possess and have them secure without straps/wires...etc"
I go to traffic court on the 14th and am trying to find a way to either get out of the ticket or get the base order changed.
I've called Jeep customer service to ask them if they even consider wranglers to be manufactured with doors and they said that the technical answer is yes. But on base there are tons of Wranglers and even a few Grand Cherokees without doors.
How can I challenge this and win?

brokenujoint 05-09-2013 09:22 PM

Officer I am sorry, They were stolen this morning and I was on my way to get new ones as you pulled me over. Should be considered a fix it ticket and wouldnt sweat it. Now military,?? I dunno.

NonRubicon 05-10-2013 02:13 PM

You are on a military base, you are subject to military law. :club:

While I do not know of any CA law explicitly prohibiting driving without doors, the doors on the TJs are subject to new Federal side-impact crash testing standards (which were put into effect in the mid-ish 1990's). So, TJ doors are in effect Federally mandated safety equipment. AFAIK, federally mandated safety equipment cannot be removed from any vehicle that is to be operated on public roads. So technically, it is against Federal law to remove the doors from a TJ and drive it on the street. By extension, even tube doors on a TJ or JK would technically be illegal for use on the street. I could be wrong, but this is how I've interpreted the law.

BTW, I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

goldhammer 05-10-2013 02:19 PM

Take as many pics of the other rigs on base without their doors as you can and bring to court, and present the case that it is general practice during good weather to remove them. If they let you off, then you have some ammo to get policy changed.

Then start up the chain to get policy changed if possible. Up hill climb with that, but maybe. Good Luck

brokenujoint 05-10-2013 05:31 PM

Damn military police. I've driven around w/o doors for nearly 20 yrs and the only thing I'd be concerned about are the mirrors. Ive been pulled over w/o doors, mirrors, no light for my rear plate, no front plate, no flares and tires out to wide. STILL got off with a warning. I guess it depends on the cop. They typically aren't looking for jeepers. They are looking for racers and gang bangers and speeders. God knows a jeep doesnt speed.

joeyk803c 05-10-2013 11:31 PM

MP aren't like State/city police.

CRAWLING 98 05-18-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyk803c (Post 15418474)
MP aren't like State/city police.

Want a be's

wtracing 05-18-2013 04:18 PM

Yeah it's just a fix a ticket. Show up with the doors on the jeep and say they were stollen and you just got new ones. They just trying to be usual bf's and fill their quotas and the base magistrate doesn't give a ****

The time now is 08:06 AM.