Heart Attack Hill Rollover - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Heart Attack Hill Rollover

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #61
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^that is how I've always seen it done

Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #62
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I like how the Spotter isn't even looking at the Jeep, Tires, or Trail in the seconds before the rollover. He is looking downhill away from the Jeep as she goes more and more passenger.
NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #63
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like the stock cage held up pretty well and the windshield didn't fold.
NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #64
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
You can see me and Jimmy in the pics of us leading runs there and where always close to the driver's window.
proof:

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #65
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
And to keep direction clear from the spotter using words like "drivers" side or "passenger" side instead of "right" or "left". The driver does not know if you are calling out your right or the drivers right
In tense situations, driver and passenger don't work. You have to rely on base instinct and no one ever giving directions says to go down the road and take the first driver turn. It just doesn't work that way. If I send you down the road and tell you to take the first right, you ALWAYS know which way to turn.

Where this gets confusing is spotters have difficulty thinking backwards. A spotter needs to react instantly with a verbal command if the driver loses focus and takes their full attention away from his hand signals and eye contact.

It's also up to the spotter to maintain control of the situation. You have to make the judgement calls as to whether or not the vehicle is staying on line and fix the situation instantly in whatever manner you deem appropriate whether it's a loud bark, or a gentle whisper.

You also have to inspire confidence in the driver so they will let you take control. More than once, I have told the driver if they don't quit watching their damn tires I will walk away and leave them to their own devices.

They don't get two chances at that. More than one stubborn person has looked up the second time from their tires to see me walking away. As the spotter, you have a large responsibility to keep the rig and driver safe. You cannot do that without their full cooperation.

The first time they do it, I stop them, walk up to the door and chat with them quietly. How many tires can you see at a time? They typically reply with the answer of 1 or 2. I quietly remind them that I can see all four, plus the obstacle, plus the line, plus the way to keep them out of trouble. Then I try again. Rarely do I have to reiterate, but when I do, they had best listen or figure it out.

I also never force spotting on folks. Some just want to do it themselves and I'm more than happy to let them do it.

In JV, another aspect of it is if I spot you into a stuck, I will stack, tug, pull, or whatever to get you out. If you ignore my spotting and get yourself stuck, I get to sit there and razz you while you get yourself out. I get you in, I'll get you out. You get you in, you get you out.

I also use very distinct and simple hand signals which are laid out and discussed ahead of time. It's very basic. You turn the direction I point, no waving, no gesticulation, just turn until I quit pointing. When I quit pointing, you hold what you got until I direct you again which I will do when it's appropriate and not until.

I do that with one hand and then control forward or reverse with the other. Forward is a come hither wave, and a straight point back is reverse. I also use a gentle palm down to slow progress.

With two hands and simple directions I can walk anyone that pays attention through a literal minefield of big boulders with few if any mistakes.

Also, I don't let a driver keep moving while I find a better vantage point where they can see me. A pair of closed fists, palms toward the driver, will halt them while I reset my position. I never let a new driver move while I find a better spot. I don't want to get run over and I don't want them to ruin the line I have them on.
Unread 04-23-2010, 01:49 AM   #66
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

Where this gets confusing is spotters have difficulty thinking backwards. A spotter needs to react instantly with a verbal command if the driver loses focus and takes their full attention away from his hand signals and eye contact.
x2
Not to brag:

I make a good spotter because I have trained myself to think backwards.
I work as a lighting and Audio technician for live entertainment; everything I do is in reverse. If im sitting in the audience, my left is actually Right, and vice versa, since all directions are based upon the stage. It is rare that I use my right as my right and left as my left. If I start talking to someone on stage and tell to go left, I had better mean their or "Stage" left, if not things get screwy.

Its easy to spot the people new at this; because when they are giving or taking direction they constantly confuse their right/left with Stage right/left. it always makes for a lot of confusion and takes more time. on the trail however it could be disastrous. as apparent in this video
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #67
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i dont even know what to say, that spotter had like 10 whole seconds to signal and yell BREAK!!!! the driver was also a huge contrabution she should have deffinatly slowed it down to her comfort level and this probably would have never happend. 2 errors driver/spotter.
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #68
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonster View Post
i dont even know what to say, that spotter had like 10 whole seconds to signal and yell BREAK!!!! the driver was also a huge contrabution she should have deffinatly slowed it down to her comfort level and this probably would have never happend. 2 errors driver/spotter.
The only points of blame I place on this particular driver is trusting an idiot spotter that clearly should not be spotting, and not wearing a seat belt. The first is forgivable, the second is not.
Unread 04-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #69
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonster View Post
BTW, the word is BRAKE..... it ended up being a BREAK, or a broke

Someone said that the spotter was her husband.... note to self; never let this idiot spot for anyone again.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #70
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can't help but LOL (but do feel bad for the driver). Even if you totally trust your spotter, if loads of people yell "whoa", that means stop immediately!
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #71
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only points of blame I place on this particular driver is trusting an idiot spotter that clearly should not be spotting, and not wearing a seat belt. The first is forgivable, the second is not.
Agreed......
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #72
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
(yes, I have four sisters, three of which own Jeeps too. It's my dad's fault)
Pictures or your sisters don't exist..
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #73
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
Pretty sure they have websites for that.

Anyone know how the driver is recovering?
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #74
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
I posted pics of two of them already.
Here, I brought it forward for you again.....

RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #75
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wont comment more on the video, we know the spotter, should have ran off somewhere and hid under a rock.

But my comment here is this, I watched both videos entirely. I hope she has a smooth recovery and all, but another big thing is getting people to have a clue what to do about the person after the incident. The 1st few minutes after the roll, she was not sitting in the seat, then she was (BIG NO NO) cause she wasnt wearing a seatbelt, people need to stabalize the patients c-spine, which means NO MOVING unless in IMMEDIATE LIFETHREATENING DANGER. I was glad to see that the vehicle was eventually stabalized (by guy holding a strap) better than nothing but get another vehicle or 2 and get straps on it, even if it is on 4 wheels, make it so it can not move. 3rd thing was tell help (911) what the exact situation is, and help them figure out what you need as far as emergency services resources. What else to do, in this situation, as stated, keep the patient's spine immobilized, even if they are in a awkward position, its fine, start making access to them, clearing debris off, removing top (either hard or softtop by any means because if you can its easier on us) remove a seat if you can, cut the roll bar out of the way, whatever you can do, without moving the patient, to give emergency services the best access to the patient. Sometimes emergency service people get hyped up too, and might miss idea's or worry about other issues, but this stuff being done prior to our arrival makes my choices of removing the patient much easier and safer for everyone.

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.