Heart Attack Hill Rollover - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Heart Attack Hill Rollover

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #46
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Seems like they all panicked. The worse thing to do in that situation.

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #47
offroadjoker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Im sorry, but this is a classic example of some one who never really became good at directing someone. You might think it sounds stupid but when your in that position a spotter has to be confident and be able to issue a direction without second guessing yourself. This spotter did NOT have that trait and basically just waived his hands. If he was my spotter for even an easy path I would second guess every thing he said. At no point should he kept waving her down when she teetered the first time. He should have MUCH clearer hand signals. Iv never been to this location but that does NOT look like something that difficult and this could have more than easily been avoided. Spotter Fail. Drive fail. (No seat belt) But im sure she has learned this point the hard way now, hopefully so has the spotter.
offroadjoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #48
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjoker View Post
Im sorry, but this is a classic example of some one who never really became good at directing someone. You might think it sounds stupid but when your in that position a spotter has to be confident and be able to issue a direction without second guessing yourself. This spotter did NOT have that trait and basically just waived his hands. If he was my spotter for even an easy path I would second guess every thing he said. At no point should he kept waving her down when she teetered the first time. He should have MUCH clearer hand signals. Iv never been to this location but that does NOT look like something that difficult and this could have more than easily been avoided. Spotter Fail. Drive fail. (No seat belt) But im sure she has learned this point the hard way now, hopefully so has the spotter.
The two dimensional video and still images do the descent angle NO justice.
It's VERY steep, and VERY slippery. You just can't get the perspective of how steep it is until you stand at the top of it and look down.
Here are a couple pics of my Jeep coming down it, with my sister as a spotter. She's been off roading as long as I have (our dad owned a few Jeeps and we have almost always had some sort of 4WD).
I think everybody agrees the spotter for that lady was not good tho'.
And not wearing a seat belt.... there's no excuse.
img_0524-medium-.jpg   img_0525-medium-.jpg  
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #49
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to compare your line with the driver's line, but you took the right shoot and she was in the left..... so that idea didn't workout. However, everytime I watch that spotter, I want to smack him silly..

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #50
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My other sister (standing at the top of the hill) took her bone stock TJ Unlimited with Kelly Springfield M&S tires (yes, I have four sisters, three of which own Jeeps too. It's my dad's fault) down the same line I did. She had no troubles at all until she got to where I am in the second pic.
That is solid rock with sand on top of it.
At that point you have to be in 4 low and let the gears drive you down, but you should be going 1mph at that point to begin with.
img_0530-medium-.jpg  
RJC#512
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #51
offroadjoker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Okay yeah, iv never seen this location and before and that picture definitely changes the prospective!
offroadjoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #52
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

maybe its just me, but it really didnt bother me at all going down it. again, just me.... lord knows i was dropped on my head a few times as a child though. lol

pick the right line and keep your nose facing STRAIGHT DOWN and no probs.

honestly, the only part of that trail that concerns me is me being able to make it thru the squeeze now with the larger tires and offset that i have. lol
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #53
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
maybe its just me, but it really didnt bother me at all going down it. again, just me.... lord knows i was dropped on my head a few times as a child though. lol

pick the right line and keep your nose facing STRAIGHT DOWN and no probs.
As long as you have a good spotter and you take it really slow, you could even do it in a Hummer or even a JK. j/k
RJC#512
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #54
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

lol. i really dont think that run requires a spotter. thats just me though just pick a good line and know how you use your brakes.

pre 35's and larger/better lift:

Unread 04-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #55
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I thought that hill was called "fish creek drop off." Guess I learned something new today.

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #56
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
I thought that hill was called "fish creek drop off." Guess I learned something new today.
there is more than one fish creek dropoff. this is one of them, the other is called Del Diablo dropoff and is at the end of Arroyo Seco Diablo. this one is called Heart attack hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
There are two sides to the hill. The part everyone normally goes down has a pretty steep initial drop and IMO going up over it with a short wheel base would be asking to go over backwards. The other side is a little less steep but is sort of a rock face covered with decomposed granite, or some other pea sized rocks, and is pretty slippery. Plenty of people have gone up but personally I am not a fan of having to back down a steep slippery hill with a drop off at the bottom into a canyon. I'll stick to one way.
do you think my Xj's wheel base is too short?
I've been down it without having any tires off the ground. but i do have a large amount of flex in my RE SF 3.5 SA. I'm still runnin 30's but I'm saving up for 33's and 4.56 gears.

Ive been up some steep stuff like that and it was a little unnerving but not dangerous. I was just worried about some of the holes in it. I saw a stock Range Rover limited trying to go up and he got 2 tires off the ground about 2/3's up and got scared and backed out.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #57
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post

do you think my Xj's wheel base is too short?
I've been down it without having any tires off the ground. but i do have a large amount of flex in my RE SF 3.5 SA. I'm still runnin 30's but I'm saving up for 33's and 4.56 gears.

Ive been up some steep stuff like that and it was a little unnerving but not dangerous. I was just worried about some of the holes in it. I saw a stock Range Rover limited trying to go up and he got 2 tires off the ground about 2/3's up and got scared and backed out.
for me it's just not worth the risk of tumbling down the hill. your XJ might be fine but wranglers have a tendency to torque over backward on very steep climbs and in this case the most likely place for that to happen is right at the top. The other side is slippery and if you lose traction you are facing backing down 100 yards on a crumbly hill.

I have no problem going down, easy brake and don't lock the wheels.

HAH part starts at 2:06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NEIqLCI6EM
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here

Last edited by jbolty; 04-21-2010 at 12:05 AM..
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #58
StvDiego

I've been down that trail way too many times and every time that I get to the top of that hill I wonder what was I thinking

This happens a few times a year at HAH:
pinyon_flip_2.jpg  
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #59
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
I've been down that trail way too many times and every time that I get to the top of that hill I wonder what was I thinking

This happens a few times a year at HAH:
I saw this on SocalXJ, I have been down that before, in a stock Izuzu trooper(my dads) and my xj, i didnt think it was that bad, if you pay attention and take it slow you will be fine IMO.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #60
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
if you pay attention and take it slow you will be fine IMO.
We have a winner

That's they key, very, very slow, know when the right rear is going to lift, let the rig settle and quit bouncing and then move on. This is the result of trying to roll through the first drop, being too close to the left line and dropping the left front tire into a big hole a few feet over the top.

Every run we lead with someone who has never been there before starts with walking the hill and pointing out the spots where the Jeep will react and what they can expect.

The left side line down that hill is almost always the same, the only difference is that I generally lead leaf spring rigs (YJs/XJ/s) a little more to the right of the line as the leaf springs react a little differently than coils on a TJ hitting that drop.

The spotter, especially for a novice, should be almost right next to the driver talking them through and letting him/know where the wheels are and what is going on and is going to happen. You can see me and Jimmy in the pics of us leading runs there and where always close to the driver's window.

Talking calmly with a new driver does a lot more good than pointing out a line.

There's a actually a more dangerous spot about 2/3's of the way down, real easy to go too fast and high-side over.

That trail, while not that long, is a great test of driver skill and an even better trail the teach a new the driver the abilities of their Jeep and themselves.

And I still hate going over the top of that hill

Try on a full moon run with no lights
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.