Heart Attack Hill Rollover - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Heart Attack Hill Rollover

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
You're exactly correct.

I know a few who make a point of un-belting when they get off pavement and I think they are idiots. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!

Absolutely!

A good spotter is essential. There are time when the driver cannot always see or feel what's happening (especially without experience) and you have to trust him or her completely. Life and property can and often do depend on it.

Again, I'm sure the spotter feels terrible, but the fact of the matter is that he had no business being a spotter, IMO.

Noticed this, too. I foolishly did the same thing last year thinking it was just "a short section." Pulled my ps front into a rut and flopped the rig onto its side. : Lesson: there are no sections short enough to override safety.

His hand signals were beyond horrible; they were at best unclear, inconsistent, and confusing.

He looked like Mr. Furley (Don Knotts) from Three's Company flailing his arms in wild gesticulations.
Hey man. Don't break apart my post or anything.

Anyone know anymore about the Lady now? If she was new, I'm kind of guessing she doesn't want to wheel no more. I wouldn't either, it that's the kind of people my spotters/friends were.

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #17
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

All points have been covered that I wanted to address by previous posts, except for one. I'm very surprised to see that the air bag didn't go off.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
I'm very surprised to see that the air bag didn't go off.
I don't think the jeep was moving fast enough. I also read somewhere that it won't go off in 4Lo but I'm unsure if that is correct.
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They really only go off in HARD rollovers and significant front impacts. It doesn't surprise me that they didn't deploy. The Jeep wasn't damaged very badly... If she had her seatbelt on she most likely would have opened the door and been fine. Pissed off, but fine nonetheless.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX View Post
Hey man. Don't break apart my post or anything.

Anyone know anymore about the Lady now? If she was new, I'm kind of guessing she doesn't want to wheel no more. I wouldn't either, it that's the kind of people my spotters/friends were.
She is still recovering, it's her second jeep.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not only was that a horrible spotter, it appeared to me that driver was taking directions from several people.. I was taught that the DRIVER needs to pick one person to be his/her spotter and everyone else needs to keep their mouth shut.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:41 PM   #22
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's been some time since I've driven HAH. Best wishes for the lady.

So many things went wrong, I don't know where to begin.

I feel disaster started before the video clip began on the decent.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Rumor has it that the spotter was the driver's husband.....
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Spotting can be pretty simple and easy to understand; it can also be a downright mess that is impossible to understand.

In this particular case, with the spotter flailing his hands about, having no discernible direction he is pointing to makes it impossible to know what he wants.

It was at that time the drivers responsibility to call him on it and tell him to get the hell out of the way and let someone they can understand point the way.

I have had good and bad experiences spotting and being spotted.

I am quite selective about who spots me over difficult obstacles. I do try to be 99% committed to what they tell me even when it feels wrong. I know my spotters, and know they wouldn't do anything to hurt me or my rig intentionally.

They might spot me into being stuck for their own sick pleasures, but nothing to intentionally break my jeep or make me cry.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #25
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJordan View Post
They might spot me into being stuck for their own sick pleasures, but nothing to intentionally break my jeep or make me cry.
Now who'd do something like that.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #26
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

right before the roll i was wondering what the hell the spotter was thinking directing the driver to stay to the right at the bottom, kind of pointing her up that small mound that caused her to roll. the driver couldve easily turned driver and not even touched that small mound and been fine.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #27
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And to keep direction clear from the spotter using words like "drivers" side or "passenger" side instead of "right" or "left". The driver does not know if you are calling out your right or the drivers right
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #28
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Driver will recover? Well, this may sound harsh, but that's the part that is too bad. Darwin should be allowed to work.

Crappy driving combined with stupidity should be punished harshly. It prevents those traits from being passed on.

Hopefully she learned her lesson and will in the future wear any and all appropriate safety gear.... of which a seatbelt is the DEAD minimum.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #29
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Driver will recover? Well, this may sound harsh, but that's the part that is too bad. Darwin should be allowed to work.

Crappy driving combined with stupidity should be punished harshly. It prevents those traits from being passed on.

Hopefully she learned her lesson and will in the future wear any and all appropriate safety gear.... of which a seatbelt is the DEAD minimum.
If that were the case, 90 percent of the Earth's population would have gone under a long time ago.
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #30
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If that were the case, 90 percent of the Earth's population would have gone under a long time ago.
Yeah, and I gotta say I DO feel for the driver.... but hell, no spotter at all woulda been better, and WITH a seatbelt, the likely outcome would have been a couple days of Tylenol, not months of recovery and thousands in medical bills.

This was sheer stupidity all around.

And if that was disconnected... must be mighty stiff suspension.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.