Heart Attack Hill Rollover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Heart Attack Hill Rollover

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Heart Attack Hill Rollover

YouTube - 4-Wheel Roll Over Accident Part 1 Heart Attack Hill Anza Borrego Springs
YouTube - 4-Wheel Roll Over Accident Part 2 Heart Attack Hill Anza Borrego Springs

Driver broker their back but is expected to fully recover.

Terrible spotter and driver.

CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Holy cr@p! I hate to bad mouth the spotter 'cuz I assume he feels terrible, but he could have killed that woman. Half the time he was unclear about his directions, then clearly countered what she was thinking and sent her *** over tea-kettle. Wow!
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
damkiwi
2007 JK Wrangler 

Glad to see shes OK! you are right about that spotter.

That rubicon looks in pretty good nick for abuse it took. I bags the axles with arbs.
damkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
damkiwi
2007 JK Wrangler 

After a second look at the video, she wasnt wearing her seat belt.
damkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
CostcoPizza
Fresh Baked

1998 ZJ 

Yeah I don't think she was, if she had she probably wouldn't have broken her back and possibly prevented the second roll.
CostcoPizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to say the same thing...when watching it the first time, i kept saying hit the ****ing brakes as she was going down....then in the slow speed I saw no seatbelt....stupid!!
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Nick
2006 WK 

Watching that video really makes you think about what we do as wheelers.
Gotta' pay attention, and have quality spotters.

My bests to the woman for a speedy recovery.
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As someone who's new to wheeling, can somebody point out exactly what went wrong here (other than the seat belt being off)?

It looks to me like at 3:55 in the slow mo the spotter told her to turn right which put her tire in a rut and caused her to go end over end. But like I said, I'm new, so I may be wrong.
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Man, that's horrible. I wish her a speedy recovery. None the less, WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njovin View Post
As someone who's new to wheeling, can somebody point out exactly what went wrong here (other than the seat belt being off)?

It looks to me like at 3:55 in the slow mo the spotter told her to turn right which put her tire in a rut and caused her to go end over end. But like I said, I'm new, so I may be wrong.
Driving wise, right before she flipped; she should have turned driver instead of passenger. "Setting in" to the obstacle, not trying to avoid it(sometimes following the ruts aren't a bad thing I've learned). We had a guy in a 2 door JK do the EXACT same thing. Luckily, he stoped and we helped him navigate it correctly.

Other than that, several things should have happened. First video at 0:59 seconds; on the top of the hill she already looks like she is 3 wheeling(rear passenger in the air). The biggest thing is know your limits and know your vehicles limits. IMO, clearly no one did this.

Second, ****ty spotter. Directly before the roll she started to teeter(she rolled on the second teeter). At this first time, she should have been stopped and straps should have been put on her. This is the spotter's fault, not hers. Sometimes while sitting in the driver seat it's hard to feel one wheel come off the ground(you sure as heck can't see it).

All this is my opinion though. I'm curious to see what others say.

Edit: I don't know for sure, but because that Jeep looks kind of stiff, I'm going to guess her sway bar is still connected. She doesn't seem to be getting much of any flex at all, every time I watch it the tops of her tires are staying pretty dang close to the fender flares. Don't be doing hard stuff unless it's disconnected. A friend once told me "if you're staying connected, you'll only do bypasses".

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

To add to what TedderX said, I thought his hand singles were horrible. You need to be clear, precise and the same every time. He is flopping his hands around and it is almost hard for me to tell which way he is wanting her to go.

I don't know if he is yelling out directions and I don't think he was but that helps me sometimes if my spotter is telling me driver or passanger, a little or hard and so on.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That was bad. I kept yelling "turn drivers side!" right before the roll. I didn't notice the fact that she wasn't wearing her seatbelt at first either. Come on now.

Hopefully others can learn from this video at least.
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same thought about the rear track bar.

Thanks for the responses, really good info.
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Nicho
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tedderx- good insights.

Spotter ? I wondered what he was doing from the first motion- the driver went the other way from his signal and he just let it go as she began her decent. The spotter signals were odd but maybe they had trailed before and had some sort of understanding? who knows? I just thought he was waving his hands around- there were no understandable "hold the line" signals. I was thinking what is the spotter telling the driver and why isn't the driver listening?

I am also not sure why he had her turn to the pass side before the initial flop- he kept pointing over there and the lie of the front driver tire was clearly pointing towards the rut. Although, I wasn't there so who knows.

I am also surprised that she was not wearing her seatbelt- that is crazy!
Nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njovin View Post

You're exactly correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedderX View Post
Man, that's horrible. I wish her a speedy recovery. None the less, WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!
I know a few who make a point of un-belting when they get off pavement and I think they are idiots. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!

Quote:
Driving wise, right before she flipped; she should have turned driver instead of passenger. "Setting in" to the obstacle, not trying to avoid it(sometimes following the ruts aren't a bad thing I've learned).

Quote:
Second, ****ty spotter. Directly before the roll she started to teeter(she rolled on the second teeter). At this first time, she should have been stopped and straps should have been put on her.
Absolutely!

Quote:
This is the spotter's fault, not hers. Sometimes while sitting in the driver seat it's hard to feel one wheel come off the ground(you sure as heck can't see it).
A good spotter is essential. There are time when the driver cannot always see or feel what's happening (especially without experience) and you have to trust him or her completely. Life and property can and often do depend on it.

Quote:
All this is my opinion though. I'm curious to see what others say.
Again, I'm sure the spotter feels terrible, but the fact of the matter is that he had no business being a spotter, IMO.

Quote:
I don't know for sure, but because that Jeep looks kind of stiff, I'm going to guess her sway bar is still connected. She doesn't seem to be getting much of any flex at all, every time I watch it the tops of her tires are staying pretty dang close to the fender flares. Don't be doing hard stuff unless it's disconnected. A friend once told me "if you're staying connected, you'll only do bypasses".
Noticed this, too. I foolishly did the same thing last year thinking it was just "a short section." Pulled my ps front into a rut and flopped the rig onto its side. : Lesson: there are no sections short enough to override safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
To add to what TedderX said, I thought his hand singles were horrible. You need to be clear, precise and the same every time. He is flopping his hands around and it is almost hard for me to tell which way he is wanting her to go.

I don't know if he is yelling out directions and I don't think he was but that helps me sometimes if my spotter is telling me driver or passanger, a little or hard and so on.
His hand signals were beyond horrible; they were at best unclear, inconsistent, and confusing.

He looked like Mr. Furley (Don Knotts) from Three's Company flailing his arms in wild gesticulations.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #15
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... I hope she recovers quickly.

As for not wanting to badmouth the spotter..... That's mighty nice of you, but I for one will badmouth him. He was an idiot, plain and simple. That had to be some of the worst spotting / signaling I have ever seen and he is lucky that the woman didn't get hurt worse. As for her and no seat belt.... That is even more ridiculous that that terrible spotting.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.