Harper Canyon trail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Harper Canyon trail

Steinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Harper Canyon trail

So here's the story.

If you search google earth for the coordinates on this map and zoom in you will see a dotted line trail that follows the watershed up from the 78. In a perfect world it would continue thru to Pinion Mtn and give an alternate way out from that trail. But, we are a few earthquakes away from completing this trail. It's a fun day, if anyone wants to go there. I would say minimum of 33s with at least 3" of lift and either lots of armor or a cavalier attitude to body damage. It ends up as a dead end but since it's one of the few rock crawling trails in that area it's worth a try.

The map attached has the GPS coordinates added to it where the trail starts and where we turned around a coup;le of weeks ago. This weekend we made it only another half mile before being forced to stop.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

First thing saturday AM.

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

King of the hill

Broken track bar bolt

The bolt

Move the rock, instead of the jeep.

There is video of this too.

Unread 12-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

YouTube - Rock Moving

YouTube - Rock Move 2
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet, I wish I could have made it out.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

And this was how we finished the weekend.

Good times.

Unread 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
StvDiego

This is a continuation of an ongoing search to find another way out of the Pinyon Mt. area besides through the washes/arroyos.

Many, many years ago, back when Jeff was just a lad, this was an 1860's era bypass to the Fish Creek cattle trail. Yes, there was water and fish in Fish Creek until a major earthquake hit the area in the 1930's and the creek went under ground - it would often flood and the couldn't get the cattle through, hence the bypass. It lead from near Split Rock, past McCain Springs and out to the now 78 highway.

Maps and a couple of guide books from the 1970's to '80's showed this as a "Jeep trail" and some later and at least one 2010 vintage map shows this a "4WD Trail."

It's well worth the trip if you happen to be in the Ocotillo Wells area, but be aware that is an in-out trail. It is in relatively pristine condition as trails go (meaning no trash and other modern accouterments). There is a lot of foot traffic and evidence of BP activity so I assume this a smuggler route of some kind so appropriate caution(s) should be taken. Definite signs of bighorn sheep, some mountain lions, coyotes, it is a beautiful hidden valley.

We've marked the trail out pretty well but there are several dead ends and turn arounds. Plan on at least some under-body damage at minimum, at least one locker is almost a must, if you don't have rocker guards or sliders you will sustain body damage. Not difficult, just sort of a 4-5 mile long rock garden type crawl once you get to the rock portion of the trail, about 3-4 miles in from the 78.

A couple of side notes from the trip; ripping your rear diff cover off is not a good thing, a Class A RV is not a sand buggy but two Jeeps can pull one out of the sand when it's buried to the body, Rik's Captain Morgan recipe is pure genius and we discovered that we've been doing it all wrong, apparently you pull the rock out from under the Jeep, not pull the Jeep over the rock.....

So the search continues, and then, what's this rumor about the mysterious late-1800's oxen trail from the desert to Julian....
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so what your saying is that my XJ on 33"s thats open/open with no body armor should probably wait until its grown up a little to go there?

looks like a great trip. we'll have to go again soon, maybe I will park for the nasty sections... or get going on my build a little faster.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And some pose shots...
_dsc8692.jpg   _dsc8629.jpg   _dsc8666.jpg   _dsc8707.jpg  
Unread 12-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
so what your saying is that my XJ on 33"s thats open/open with no body armor should probably wait until its grown up a little to go there?

looks like a great trip. we'll have to go again soon, maybe I will park for the nasty sections... or get going on my build a little faster.
Yeah, it would get a little beat up, all of us put our sliders/guards/skids to good use (translation: we beat the snot out of them)

Jimmy made it through on 33's, but he had to do some careful maneuvering to keep the diffs out of the rocks. Even on 35's I managed to tear the bottom of my rear diff off and probably trashed something internal which would explain the banging noise. Time for a Super 44 and 4:88's
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I want to go next time. It sounds like my cup of tea. I like breaking things.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
Yeah, it would get a little beat up, all of us put our sliders/guards/skids to good use (translation: we beat the snot out of them)
yea.... sliders are high on the list... right after the front aussie that supposedly shipped on friday.

Quote:
Jimmy made it through on 33's, but he had to do some careful maneuvering to keep the diffs out of the rocks. Even on 35's I managed to tear the bottom of my rear diff off and probably trashed something internal which would explain the banging noise. Time for a Super 44 and 4:88's

Thats the right attitude.... don't fix things, upgrade them
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I dented a Savvy slider, knocked my steering 1/4 turn out of alignment, tweaked my d-ring mounts, scraped up the Savvy front bumper, and bent a drive shaft. It was a blast!!!

I would have been better off not taking so much creative license with the trail. I got stuck pretty bad and got wedged between a rock and a couple of hard spots! That's the reason for the rock removal. I'd go again in a heart beat though.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Count me in for the next run, I want to be part of the crowd that breaks down
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
..... , apparently you pull the rock out from under the Jeep, not pull the Jeep over the rock.....

maybe it would have been easier to move all the sand from under the motorhome

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.