gear storage box - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > gear storage box

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Hey Moose, can i use that thing when you get it back? my CB needs to be tuned badly! its cool right up close but its all garbled when you get more then i think about 20 or 30ft away give or take

Unread 01-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

sweeeeet!
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
Well I got tired of looking for a reasonable product out there that doesnt require me to take out a personal loan or wait for a potential tax return. I got up early today and decided to just go ahead and make a wood one.
I didnt do a detailed how to or anything as every jeep is minutely different and owner preferences vary as well.
1). 4x8 1/2" highest quality sanded plywood that Lowes had
2) wood nails
3) gorilla glue
4) 90 degree brackets
5) circular saw. (didnt have any tools so I gave in and got one. )

Out the door everything cost me about 100.00. I'm planning on returning the saw since I used my jigsaw and it worked rather well so that will make the cost 55.00.

Dimensions for the top and bottom pieces were 35.75x35 (2 pieces)
sides were 10.75x 35 (3) this includes the center section

the front was 10.75x 35.75 if I recall

I was in serious slow/lazy mode today & took my time. It took all day just to get where I got. Cloudly weather has me lagg'n.
The top piece had to be notched where the tailgate lock goes & the left vertical piece had to as well.
A good tip for drilling the holes for the stock seat bolts: use a sharpie & mark the bolts up & then pressed the wood against it, gave it a wack, pull it off & there'll be an impression to drill. Easy breezy. The two torx bolts on each fenderwell & the 4 up front on the floor for the seat are plenty to keep this thing from coming out. I will probably add another section of 1/2" on top so the ply will run the full length side to side fwd of the rear rollbar tie in. As it is it looks to boxy. It'll look more tonneau-ish when I'm done.
Anyways, here's a few pics of the 1/2 finished job. It doesnt show the center section in the pics so no need to comment on support. I'll also be using rubber/oil resistant on the bottom of it & carpeting the rest inside and out. I should of done this mod yrs ago.

Almost done.
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
SlowandLow
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks clean! Nice job.
SlowandLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice! I faced a similar issue a while back. Couldnt do what you did as my fuel cell resides there and my Tire carrier design goes over that area too. So I decided to knock up some steel fender boxes

Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #21
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Awesome! I love the sub in the front
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #22
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thx. The picture doesnt show the finished set up with the speaker. Didnt really plan it in the build initially but it worked out rather well actually. I boxed it off inside about 7 inches behind the speaker and it now allows me to hear Black Sabbath much better while going down the fwy. Wish it was better hidden though.... Then again I dont allow the jeep to be anywhere more than a few minutes without my seeing it.
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

How is it holding up? Looks like it will be sturdy as hell
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post

BTW, I got the SWR meter back.
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
RainShadow
2000 XJ Cherokee 

STORAGE BOX cont.

How did you mount your HI-LIFT jack in the back. My '95 Wrangler is fairly stock (2" body lift) and tube bumpers. My friend has his mounted horizontally
at the rear roll cage. Have been thinking about mounting it on the hood hinges ? Anyone have some thoughts ???

thanks, Randy from Oceanside, CA
RainShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I drilled two holes just behind the rollbar on the fender wells, (one one ea side) then ran bolts through the holes. Siliconed the bolts and ran a nut on them to keep them secure the just slapped the high-lift on it, ran some wing nuts, drilled a hole through one of the bolts and put a lock on it. Super secure from thiefs and the weather.
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OH and FYI harbor freight is selling a nice box right now for about 75.00 or so and it messures something like 35" across which is perfect for a box. It's also powder coated black... Might wanna look into that.
http://www.harborfreight.com/35-inch...box-66244.html
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question how much do you estimate your storage box to weight?
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

w/o the speaker it's about 35 lbs im guessing.... Its not heavy at all. Assuming your asking me.....Weighs as much as a 4x8 piece of 1/2" plywood because thats all i used.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.