Front End Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Front End Questions

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Front End Questions

I am going to be doing some serious front end work in the next few weeks and have a couple questions.

First, the plan: Currie HD steering along with the good possibility of a HPD30 going in there. New knuckles along with new ball joints. Looking at the OME steering stabilizer as well. New u-joints too.

Questions: Does anyone know where to get the Currie kit the cheapest? Best I've found is $399.99

Does it matter what type of ball joints I get? Is it worth it to get the higher priced ones? Adjustable?

Anyone have a line on axles? I'll be replacing all the u-joints and am thinking about axles if the price is right.

Thanks for the local input!

Unread 07-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
StvDiego

Getting a discount from Currie is like winning the lottery, they're pretty firm in their prices. The Currie steering is the best hands down. Gerald at Savvy has the Currie Heavy Duty for $379 and the new macho Currie setup for $419 I think??? Give him call and insist on a JF discount

As to ball joints I would spend the money and get better quality, Spicer or Moog. A lot of people have had good luck with the NAPA Gold joints. I would get the best quality OEM style and forget the adjustable unless you have a big need for them. Spicer is usually the brand of choice.

On a side note, Jeff has a good quality ball joint tool but needs the Chrysler/Jeep adapters (about $40 or so), worth every penny.

Never heard anyone complain about the OME damper...

Axles are another story. I'm partial to Superior, I think their quality can't be beat, but plan on spending a paycheck or two. Something like the Super 30 with a locker will run $1200 and way way up. There's other kits from lesser mortals with 27 spline axles and a lockright for about half. Just depends on what you want to invest.

Keep in mind too that in strengthening Jeep components weak points get shifted. Stronger axles move weak points further down the driveline... Something to consider

And I would definitely go with the HP 30
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The Moog ball joints aren't very expensive. If that is a reputable brand I'll probably head that direction.

I am curious as to what this 'macho' Currie setup is. I'll have to look up Savvy.

Ultimate:
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...4&categoryId=7

Regular:
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...3&categoryId=7

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I've been looking at the regular this entire time. More research to do!

Axles are still an option at this point. It is one of things that I might do simply because it will be easier with everything apart. If it proves to be too expensive I'll pass.
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on everything steve said.

i think that on 33's youd be fine with stock shafts and good 760 u-joints in them. it would be cheaper to carry spares. but thats just me

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
x2 on everything steve said.

i think that on 33's youd be fine with stock shafts and good 760 u-joints in them. it would be cheaper to carry spares. but thats just me
I am leaning towards saving the money on shafts. Like you said, spares are cheap!

On another note, I like the avatar pic!
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

good call.

and thanks . those drop brackets make it flex like mad.

My POS
Quote:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Should I rebuild the steering gear box or just buy a new one? The rebuild kit looks like it might be a PITA. The rebuild kit is also over $100 cheaper.
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

could be a good time to swap in a durango box

My POS
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.