Friends jeep caught on fire... need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Friends jeep caught on fire... need help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Friends jeep caught on fire... need help

long story so follow along. we need some advice.

Approx a month ago a friend of mine, Awar, shot a con rod in his 95 yj 2.5L. not having the time to fix it himself he had a local shop, MD auto and tire, put a new 2.5L in. spent over $2500 for the motor and install. when he recieved it back he kept compaining that it just didnt feel the same. said his old 4banger had way more power and get up than the new one. Awar called the shop and talked to the manager. Manager said he just needs to break it in. after 500 miles he said it still felt slow. at freeway speeds he can only get up to 55 MPH and once he shifts into 5th the motor boggs way down.

Awar called the shop AGAIN saying his jeep was just not feeling right at all. they kept telling him it was ok without even looking at it. fed up with there lack of customer service he had one of his other friends do a compression test and check his spark plug gaps. the compression test was pathetic(not sure what exactly it was as i wasnt there). 2 of his spark plugs had a gap of .010 and the other 2 had a gap of .050. i believe its supposed to be .035.

the very next day he was driving his jeep to a friends house. he parked and went upstairs into his friends apartment. about 2 minutes after being inside he hears a loud long steady horn. Looks out the window and see smoke coming from under the hood. He runs downstairs and by the time he got there the entire engine was engulfed in flames.

Fire dept came and put the fire out.

that very day he called the shop and had it towed to them. the fire looks as if it started in the fuse box. The shop visually looked at it and said they cant prove that it was anything they did and therefor are not gonna cover it, even though they gave him a yr warranty on their work. plus the tech who put the motor in was fired right before this incident and one of the other techs said he got fired cause he was a crappy mechanic

Awar has liability insurance and USAA pretty much told him he's on his own.

THE JEEP ONLY HAD 706 MILES ON IT WHEN IT CAUGHT FIRE RANDOMLY.

hardest problem he's facing right now is that we deploy for eight months in 4 days. he has no time to fight this.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? NEED SOME HELP FOR A NEW JEEPER FRIEND OF MINE WHO'S IN A DEEP BIND

now for some pics.

that used to be a battery

isnt there supposed to be a fuse box there? not ashes?

'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

take it to small claims, i dont know what else to do. report them to BBB
ankyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
damkiwi
2007 JK Wrangler 

Man that really sucks

If they think it came from the fuse box, and all ready drove it 700 miles, it would be hard to prove it was from the engine rebuild.

Hopefully you can prove it was something they wired up wrong. The plug gap would make it run like a bag of %$@&!%, but would not cause fire.

Last edited by Joe Dillard; 05-17-2010 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Launguage
damkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

yea i know theres a lot of variables, it just sucks. i feel real bad for him. brand new motor and now his jeep is fried sitting in my garage while we go on deployment.

anyone heard of the shop or done business with them?
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

well on the bright side, you are going on deployment and wont need the jeep and you will come back with a good chunk of change. the jeep will give you something to spend your money on instead of beer and useless crap when you get back.
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

haha yea he said now he's just gonna buy a new car when he gets back and start building up his yj.

just a bad way to start a build. EVERYTHING is gonna have to be replaced, but upgraded of course
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

daaaaaamnnnn dude!! back in teh day they would bring people like that out back and beat htem with a garden hose. now you got your damn lawyers and such. lol FML tho man, that blows!! but i agree with the above...small claims court for sure
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

if the motor was suppose to be new, you can atleast show that the compression was down and not where it was suppose to be. that should be enough to have the motor rebuilt or sue as said above at least for the engine work. good news is that you technically have 2 years to take someone to small claims. so deal with it when you get back.
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

cool. thanks for the advice guys. i'll let him know about everything tomorrow. if anyone else has an input or idea please chime in.
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
daaaaaamnnnn dude!! back in teh day they would bring people like that out back and beat htem with a garden hose. now you got your damn lawyers and such. lol FML tho man, that blows!! but i agree with the above...small claims court for sure
super troopers
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

double baco cheese burger....its for a cop. LOL
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

does this look like spit to you????
Unread 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thats horrible. Somebody assemble the convoy

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
StvDiego

Get and print your phone records showing every single call you made to the auto shop.

Get a lot more pictures, especially of the wiring that's left. Get close ups of every connection, every sensor, top, bottom, sides, everywhere they could have remotely, possibly have worked with a connection.

Save everything, every scrap of paper related to the build, and any all work and or parts you bought, including the battery.

Get a copy of the Mopar/Jeep FSM, the real one, not a Chilton's or anything else. (For wiring comparison in Small Claims if you go there).

If you have time or have someone who can do it take the Jeep to another mechanic/shop, ideally a one that specializes in and has reputable certification in auto electrics. Have them try to determine the source, and cause, of the fire. Worth the money...

Your insurance may be at least pay for that part or recommend someone they use. Unfortunately, something changed in the management of USAA and they are developing a very bad reputation...

Document everything you do

Contact the SD Small Claims Court Advisor Office, they can offer good free advice. You can file a claim before you deploy and the Court and delay hearing the case until you return. Small Claims Advisor

Best of luck, keep your head down and let us know when you get back and more importantly, thanks for serving
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

if you have power of attorney, which you should since you are deploying have someone continue the battle while you are gone. you can get power of attorney fairly easy if you go to legal on base, for free of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.