Forest Trails Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Forest Trails Please

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
luckybudyo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Forest Trails Please

I've been here about 3 week now and I'm getting super homesick for some forest trails. I know it's a long shot, but does ANYBODY know a forest trail anywhere near San Diego. I'm just not into rock crawling.. yet.

luckybudyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Being from lake Tahoe area I can relate. Hiking, climbing or jeeping?
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
luckybudyo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeping, but I do all 3 . I've found a lot of good climbing spots, and some decent non-forest hiking, but those forested jeep trails I long for are nowhere to be found.
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Big Bear is your best bet. There's a distinct lack of forests in san diego.

Where are you from?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

around here all you have is Big Bear as Jeff said. It's about 160 miles away. The trails are on the north side of the lake.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
luckybudyo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm from SC, however I've spent the last 9 months wheeling in Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida.
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, big change for you. It will take some getting used to that fact that it almost never rains here.

I think it's high time to start planning another big bear trip
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
jktrex

Head out to big bear forest fest June 13th
jktrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I looked into forest fest in years past and it seems way too crowded to suit me.

For this year there are already 24 signed up for the Saturday John Bull trail run.
Unread 05-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybudyo View Post
Jeeping, but I do all 3 . I've found a lot of good climbing spots, and some decent non-forest hiking, but those forested jeep trails I long for are nowhere to be found.
Jeeping:
The afore mentioned Big Bear is your best bet for forested Jeep trails. The Sequoia's has some moderate trails I've been on before. Nothing overly challengind but its absolutely stunning there. Great camping. Make a reservation.

For hiking/climbing:
Mt Laguna isn't too far from here, an hour top, and has a nice forest with big pines and some under growth. Its good for a day hike or camping. That's very simliar to home for me. As far as climbing/hiking goes, a lot of people seem to like Mission Trails for bouldering. Personally I'm not a huge fan due to the crowds. Same for Cowls Mountain. LOTS of people, dog poop bags all over. I prefer the bouldering/lead climbing spots at Mt. Woodson. Take the trail head from the 67 though, not Poway Lake. There's seldom if ever people climbing, mostly just hikers. I did Three Sister's Falls yesterday. That's probably one of the most strenuous hikes in SD County. There's some good bouldering spots down at the bottom and a few water falls/lagoons if you get there soon. Beware of snakes and poison oak. Saw a lot of both yesterday. and bring a LOT of water. I recommend at least a gallon. Its S/SW facing so you're in the sun the whole time. Elfin Forest offered some cool hiking but I think it might have got burned up in the fire, haven't confirmed that yet Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve is a nice hike. Mostly flat but there's some great tree coverage, lots of wildlife and a water fall at the end. There's also some equestrian and bike trails. That looked pretty fun. Beware of ticks there. I got one on my last hike there, they are very prevelant in that area for whatever reason. Green Valley/Cuyamaca Rancho State Park is great too. That's out by Mt. Laguna, in that general area. Lots of tall pines, good over growth, wild turkeys and a great set of water falls and boulder formations. There's a camp ground there as well. Be aware of snakes and mountain lions. I've heard good things about Cedar Creek falls but haven't been yet

Hope this helps

Mt. Laguna:

Unread 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dont worry, when late fall comes around ( desert season) you'll be hooked on Ocotillo and the Brawley area's like the rest of us.
Unread 05-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You know, as much as I love the wheeling out there...and I really do, I hate it out there. The lack of trees really blows. Lol
Unread 05-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
luckybudyo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are awesome lol
Unread 05-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So why don't you be a Johnny Appleseed and get out there and plant some tree's? If you can jump gator's in the sand dunes you can make a grove of fruit trees anywhere!
Unread 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the bike running. Carb tuned perfectly. Didn't even have to synch em... Did an oil change, coolant flush, degreased the past 10 yrs of non-op off of it, new battery, new tires, new plugs, new brakes... Tomorrow I'll flush the hydraulics, lube the chain and then maybe throw down 5 bills for a new fairing set.. might wait a lil for that though... Then it's registration and CL time.. Non jeep related I know... sorry.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.