A financial/moral dilemma - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > A financial/moral dilemma

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 04-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A financial/moral dilemma

In February the wife and I renovated our master bedroom. When it was done we decided to get all new furniture. We went to Jerome's and picked out a set. It was slightly more than we had wanted to spend so we opted to put $1,000 on their 90 day same as cash program. 3 days after it was all said and done Jerome's called and said they lost my application and said they would either mail one or I could come in and fill it out again. I went in and they didn't have any. They said they would call when they did.

Here we are, months later, and I haven't heard anything, received anything in the mail (no statements, no bills, nada) and have nothing on my credit (I check it pretty regularly) to suggest an account has been opened.

I would like to think I am a pretty honest person and normally have no problem making things right.....but a $1,000 is a lotta coin! Do I go in and let them know that I haven't received anything? Do I wait and see if I ever get a bill? Bank error in my favor? My biggest concern is that I get some statement in 6 months saying I owe the money plus interest and late fees or worse, a collection notice.

Thoughts?

Unread 04-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You got the furniture right? Karma can be one...so why not go make it good? You must be feeling a bit guilty about not paying, or you wouldn't have posted. If it's bothering you, take care of it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Rjnol

i'd go make it right. If they have any record of the transaction at all they can probably show you never paid the outstanding balance and come after you with a collection. Seeing as you already paid for part of it would lead me to believe there is a record of a partial transaction...collections suck, bite the bullet and settle up so you dont get jackarse creditors calling and jacking up your credit report

just my 2 cents
Rjnol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just go in and tell them the situation, and tell them to start over with the 90 days same as cash thing starting with the new application date. That way you can pay them payments over the next 90 days.
Their mistake, but don't make it yours. Things like this always come around to catch up with you. A grand is a lot of coin, but it's rightfully their coin.
JMHO.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Similar thing happened when I bought my car. I had to go back twice to fix the paperwork. They washed the car both times plus filled up my gas tank.

I would go straighten it out but since you are having to chase them around to pay up I would ask for a perk, maybe knock $100 off.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

True story, years back, I needed a part for an IH tractor. My local IH dealer didn't have the part in stock, but a small dealer in a little town about 50 miles away did. Off on a road trip I go. I went into the small town IH dealer and sure enough they had the part. I went to pay the man and discovered that I had used my last check, so I pulled out the plastic, and the guys leans forward and looks out the window then tells me the Hardware store is closed......... I'm thinking, WTF, I don't care that the hardware store is closed!! then the guy explains that the hardware store has the credit card machine.... I thought great.... I'm screwed. The guy hands me the box and the invoice and says just mail me a check...... I walked out the door with a $56.00 part, the IH dealer had no idea who I was or if he would ever see his money. Bottom line, he trusted that I would mail him the $$ and I sure as heck wasn't going to fail to keep my end of the deal.

You say what does this have to do with me? Everything. The store kept their end of the deal, you have the furniture and now it's time for you to keep your end of the deal.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

Man I could put a 1000 bucks to good use if it would help!

Nevertheless, Jerome's could probably use it as well. As a business owner a hiccup like this showing up helps fix the problem so that it can be avoided in the future (read as fire the idiot in accounts receivable).

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Marctwayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
ankyle62
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i would give them a call, but im just a super honest guy.
ankyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well I called Jerome's and they told me that the bill had been satisfied with them. Jerome's directed me to call the financing bank. I called the bank and they say I have an account opened but nothing is billed to it. The bank says they got nothing from Jerome's and that I owe them nothing.
Unread 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

You've done all you can. I wonder if you can get any of that in writing?

PS. Can I borrow $1000?
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pics of the free furniture?
And go buy a lotto ticket too!
RJC#512
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you should return it and get your money back.
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
you should return it and get your money back.
He'd be my hero if he could pull that one off!
RJC#512
Unread 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
DavesPerf
1994 YJ Wrangler 

See if Jerome's can get me a good price on a new Rubicon and maybe a bigger house while were at it I like there finance program...
DavesPerf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i'm going to jeromes after work today...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.