Failing Smog Again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Failing Smog Again

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 01-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Failing Smog Again

Failed back at the beginning of the month for high speed NOX. (there is anther thread that got over taken).
Failed Smog again today.

My catalytic converter was trashed/rattled and 1/2 the substrait was missing. The O2 sensor stayed at .4 volts (replaced 2 years ago with a NTK). Replaced the cat with a Walker (P/N80905) California compliant one. Replaced the O2 sensor with a Bosch. Replaced the Acell spark plugs, they were at .065 (?), cap and rotor. (does not have an Acell coil)Went with BWD cap and rotor and Champion copper plus plugs (set at .035).

95 XJ, 4.0L, auto, 4x4, OBD1

PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
Failed back at the beginning of the month for high speed NOX. (there is anther thread that got over taken). Failed Smog again today. My catalytic converter was trashed/rattled and 1/2 the substrait was missing. The O2 sensor stayed at .4 volts (replaced 2 years ago with a NTK). Replaced the cat with a Walker (P/N80905) California compliant one. Replaced the O2 sensor with a Bosch. Replaced the Acell spark plugs, they were at .065 (?), cap and rotor. (does not have an Acell coil)Went with BWD cap and rotor and Champion copper plus plugs (set at .035). 95 XJ, 4.0L, auto, 4x4, OBD1
Can't read VIR attachment.
Has head been shaved? What temp thermostat?
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
mattman998
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced an O2 sensor with a Bosch and it s**t the bed right away. NTK fixed it right up. Use whatever is OEM and I'll bet you have better luck, as long as it's O2 related anyway...
mattman998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

seems quite a few people are having issues with Bosch. When part x costs 40.00 and the dealer want's 70.00 it's easy to stray towards the 40.00, but when that 40.00 product fails on you in 6 months and you then get the dealer one, that wasn't a very smart purchase. Fuel stuff and electrical stuff (for me) is dealer only .
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Bosch sensor is the OE one. In 15 years in the smog biz here in SD, I have seen time and again, where the OE (Bosch) is the only one that can properly control the fuel mixture.
I have also seen brand new sensors be biased and simply installing another unit, exactly the same, brought the fuel control right wheee it should be. It almost seems like they go bad just sitting on the shelf.
Also, just the act of removing and reinstalling one can change the emissions Doesn't make any sense, I know, but we see it all the time.
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
mattman998
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure about that? The Bosch that I got looks completely different than the OE sensor. Like it was an upgraded design or something. I went on rockauto, where it labels the NTK as the OEM part, ordered that and it looked identical to what I was taking out.
mattman998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

if you want a dealer one, go to the dealer..... Bad from stock is very possible and over torque/bad install can ruin it as well. I was lucky enough when I needed one that I found a guy parting out his jeep and I pulled all the sensors and threw them in my jeep. Jeep was a bad rollover and w/low miles.
Also be sure to use an anti seize to do yourself a favor next time around.
brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint
if you want a dealer one, go to the dealer..... Bad from stock is very possible and over torque/bad install can ruin it as well. I was lucky enough when I needed one that I found a guy parting out his jeep and I pulled all the sensors and threw them in my jeep. Jeep was a bad rollover and w/low miles. Also be sure to use an anti seize to do yourself a favor next time around.
Good point, Kevin. Use the copper-filled, conductive kind. The sensors I've seen lately already have it on the threads. And, yeah, DO NOT OVERTIHTEN THEM. The copper paste actually gets squeezed out of the thread
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman998
Are you sure about that? The Bosch that I got looks completely different than the OE sensor. Like it was an upgraded design or something. I went on rockauto, where it labels the NTK as the OEM part, ordered that and it looked identical to what I was taking out.
Good to know NTK worked for you. They are very good sensors. I use them a lot.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.