DMV Fees - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > DMV Fees

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #16
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcalpac View Post
I can't argue with that. Point, well, here in California I guess that would be pointless. Since when does common sense reside in legislation?
Never.

Legislation simply has to do with the problem in making licenses available in so many languages - which is stupid (and has a good deal to do with the problem, I'm sure.)

When I got out of the AF and decided to stay out here, I actually had three driver's licenses - Indiana (which I got back home,) I had a Federal ticket for heavy vehicles, and I had an International (got it in Germany - with an "Unlimited Speed" endorsement.) By that time, I'd not only taken a high-speed driving course in Germany, but I'd also taken EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course.)

I like to think I have a decent idea what I'm doing.

But, since CA doesn't, I failed the written test three times on the run (the "correct" answer wasn't, and the answer that was actually right wasn't "correct" on the test.)

Once that happened, I was told I'd have to come back in 60 days to try again. As if already wasting five hours there wasn't enough...

So, I looked at the wall where all of the driver's handbooks were racked, then turned and looked back at the guy and asked him if there was anything that prevented me from taking the test in another language right there that day. He went off to confer with his boss, then came back all shirty (like "What other languages do you know?") and told me there wasn't, and I could go ahead. What language did I want?

I looked at the wall again and answere "Arabic" (it was the one I'd spoken most recently. I only had a half-dozen or so to choose from - overlap between langauges in which I was fluent and languages in which the material was offered.)

Wouldn't you know the test was actually easier in Arabic? And Farsi, Spanish, and Greek? Hell - I think I got points for getting my name right in Spanish!

Putting my two boys through Driver's Ed was too farcical to be considered a joke - but I figured I'd do that and let them get their licenses, then teach them how to drive. If I taught them, they wouldn't pass - they'd actually know what the Hell they were doing (they got a condensed version of EVOC and a foul-weather driving course I'd taken back home. My wife was once a cop, but she didn't get EVOC while in uniform. I put her through that myself later. She was a good driver, now she's an excellent driver.)

Unread 12-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #17
smcalpac
1998 ZJ 

It's easier to get a California License than Mexican car insurance! Well, as long as you don't speak English I guess!
on two wheels anymore!
Camoflauge, camoflauge, I disappear when I pull out of my garage!

PM me for LED light bars and HID off road lights
smcalpac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

$78 for the YJ and $230 for my Civic. Still seems pretty high to me. Hope the YJ passes smog this time.
Unread 12-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
$78 for the YJ and $230 for my Civic. Still seems pretty high to me. Hope the YJ passes smog this time.
Mine wasn't fun to do when I was selling it. It failed miserably on the fuel tank pressure test. Had to replace all the vacuum lines in and out of the fuel cell and covered everything else in this spray on sealing goo.
Unread 12-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
Mine wasn't fun to do when I was selling it. It failed miserably on the fuel tank pressure test. Had to replace all the vacuum lines in and out of the fuel cell and covered everything else in this spray on sealing goo.
haha, two years ago my YJ failed horribly because of a clogged cat and a cracked exhaust manifold. Hope I dont have to deal with that BS again, paper says i need to take it to a Gold station or something like that. Im worried.
Unread 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
lazebum
2001 WJ 

the SMOG laws are there for a reason but are just absurd with the level they ask for. I understand why they are there but i can say most vehicles that fail, fail for small reasons.
01 4.0 WJ - Kolak Brake upgrade, Addaco rear sway bar, 3' OME springs, JKS Adj Track Bar, Bilstine Shocks, MOOG Steering Stablizer and TRE's, IRO SYE front kit with a Double Cardan drive shaft, DANA 44a rear swap, booster seat, 7yrold Son, "Don't Tread On Me" Sticker and plates, oh yeah that is how i roll!!
lazebum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #22
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The smog laws are pretty stupid and like most things just there to make sure the box is checked, rather than actually do anything. A couple of years ago I passed all the tests but the vehicle was failed because the timing was not within specs. I Adjusted it and went back later for a re-test and it passed the second time with the timing adjusted even though the actual air numbers were dirtier the second time.

The second most retarded thing is the stupid CARB approved gas cans. They are supposed to keep fumes in but you spill about half the gas trying to pour it out of the can.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
lazebum
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The second most retarded thing is the stupid CARB approved gas cans. They are supposed to keep fumes in but you spill about half the gas trying to pour it out of the can.

I could not agree with this more!!!!!!
01 4.0 WJ - Kolak Brake upgrade, Addaco rear sway bar, 3' OME springs, JKS Adj Track Bar, Bilstine Shocks, MOOG Steering Stablizer and TRE's, IRO SYE front kit with a Double Cardan drive shaft, DANA 44a rear swap, booster seat, 7yrold Son, "Don't Tread On Me" Sticker and plates, oh yeah that is how i roll!!
lazebum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #24
ductape1000
Recently Flopped!!

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
As we all know, CARB stands for 'California AIR resources board'. They don't care one little bit if you spill gas all over the ground!!!

Insert clever saying by someone well known here...

Under Re-construction.....
ductape1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #25
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductape1000 View Post
As we all know, CARB stands for 'California AIR resources board'. They don't care one little bit if you spill gas all over the ground!!!

Spill = fumes released = they never thought of that = idiots
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #26
StvDiego

Just paid the RV fees, $30 more than last year and next year it gets smogged, not happy. My Jeep should be coming up soon, last year it was more than twice as the previous year. There's a thought constantly going around the back of head to sell it and buy a pre-smog CJ...

I've been reading through statistics from the DMV, CARB, EPA and other agencies that really care about air quality (that's sarcasm btw). I'm beginning to wonder how many vehicle types they can collectively come up with that are in the X% group that produce X% of emissions and so on.

Interesting to note that CARB claims 10% of the dirtiest vehicles produce 50% of the pollution yet as long as the owner of one of these vehicles tweaks the engine, uses a combination of additives or flat out buys a certificate they can go on polluting the rest of the year.

California smog checks in their current form are nothing more than a "Clean For A Day" certification program and are about the least efficient and most expensive method of checking actual pollution. More accurate and cheaper tests can be done for 1/10th the cost of current methods.

But look at the bright side, next year diesels get to join in the fun and there's a bill moving through the state to require smog checks on motorcycles and green/red sticker OHVs in late 2010.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.