Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

DMV Fees

1K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  StvDiego 
#1 ·
I got the registration renewal for the Jeep and was bracing for the worst. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was only $56. I can't imagine its possible but did DMV fees go down?

#4 ·
I can't say I would mind paying them, cause I would. But damn it, it would be nice if the fees went to where there were supposed to go! We've got more people, with more vehicles than any other state yet we've got the worst roads.

#8 ·
Mine went up. My F250 last year was $387 and this year it was $504, my travel trailer last year was $184 and this year it is $297. My sandrail and quads went from $25 to $50, my Dodge Ram went from $110 to $225 but my boat stayed the same at $25 bucks and I haven't had my Celica for a year yet so I cant tell you on that one.

I just realized I have wayyyyyy to many toys.

#13 ·
i pay a standard 35 a year, gotta love non-resident Military!!!

#15 ·
ok... you win. Mine are our of VA, so still not bad. No SMOG for me, :)

#17 ·
It's easier to get a California License than Mexican car insurance! Well, as long as you don't speak English I guess!

#21 ·
the SMOG laws are there for a reason but are just absurd with the level they ask for. I understand why they are there but i can say most vehicles that fail, fail for small reasons.

#22 ·
The smog laws are pretty stupid and like most things just there to make sure the box is checked, rather than actually do anything. A couple of years ago I passed all the tests but the vehicle was failed because the timing was not within specs. I Adjusted it and went back later for a re-test and it passed the second time with the timing adjusted even though the actual air numbers were dirtier the second time.

The second most retarded thing is the stupid CARB approved gas cans. They are supposed to keep fumes in but you spill about half the gas trying to pour it out of the can.

#23 ·
The second most retarded thing is the stupid CARB approved gas cans. They are supposed to keep fumes in but you spill about half the gas trying to pour it out of the can.
I could not agree with this more!!!!!!

#26 ·
Just paid the RV fees, $30 more than last year and next year it gets smogged, not happy. My Jeep should be coming up soon, last year it was more than twice as the previous year. There's a thought constantly going around the back of head to sell it and buy a pre-smog CJ...

I've been reading through statistics from the DMV, CARB, EPA and other agencies that really care about air quality (that's sarcasm btw). I'm beginning to wonder how many vehicle types they can collectively come up with that are in the X% group that produce X% of emissions and so on.

Interesting to note that CARB claims 10% of the dirtiest vehicles produce 50% of the pollution yet as long as the owner of one of these vehicles tweaks the engine, uses a combination of additives or flat out buys a certificate they can go on polluting the rest of the year.

California smog checks in their current form are nothing more than a "Clean For A Day" certification program and are about the least efficient and most expensive method of checking actual pollution. More accurate and cheaper tests can be done for 1/10th the cost of current methods.

But look at the bright side, next year diesels get to join in the fun and there's a bill moving through the state to require smog checks on motorcycles and green/red sticker OHVs in late 2010.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.