Discount Tire Issue - Looking for opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Discount Tire Issue - Looking for opinions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Discount Tire Issue - Looking for opinions

So I needed to get a new 33X10.5 BFG Mud Terrain tire. The problem is that BFG has discontinued their original mud terrain line and is now only manufacturing the KM2 mud terrain. I looked at all of the major outlets (Discount Tire, Tire Rack, local 4X4 shops, etc) and Discount Tire was the only place that claimed to have one. They only had 1 and it was in Colorado. Fast forward 5 days and its here and installed. The problem is that it is a KM2. I'm not concerned with the quality of the tire as most people have claimed the KM2 is actually a better tire, the size is the same and its brand new. My complaint is that they look so different! I spoke with the manager about the fact that they said they had it, called the CO store and they laid eyes on to make sure they had it before I bought it and now its the wrong one. So as it stands now we agreed that if I can find a original mud terrain by Dec 1 or simply decide I don't want it I can return this KM2. Yes, I got that in writing. I'm gonna try and find it ASAP. Time to start calling all the mom and pop shops in the area!

What do you think of the difference in the tire? Am I overreacting at the difference? I think they look entirely different, especially the tread pattern.

Here are some pics. The first is the original mud terrain and the new KM2.

Unread 11-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
BrandonTJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Love those km2s.
My buddy just had a similar situation with a couple of tires replaced by his insurance company. We got on the net and found the older style (of his tires) on ebay - turned out to be one of the shops down here on main in chula vista.
Unread 11-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That sucks! I just sold a 33" KM that was mounted as a spare with no miles on it. I moved to 35's and replaced the 33" spare.
Unread 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

i personally wouldnt worry too much, but at the same time keep your eyes open for the original KM. i love the was the older ones looked, much more than the KM2's. but i hear the KM2's perform better

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

hmmmm, options:
  1. Live with it.
  2. Put that tire on the right rear, out of sight.
  3. Keep looking for a KM.
  4. Get three more to match.
  5. Strip and burn.

I think I would go with 1 & 3
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
hmmmm, options:
  1. Live with it.
  2. Put that tire on the right rear, out of sight.
  3. Keep looking for a KM.
  4. Get three more to match.
  5. Strip and burn.

I think I would go with 1 & 3
My votes for #5

But, #1 & #3 are good options too and if that fails go with #4
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.