Devil's Drop-off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Devil's Drop-off

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
borrego
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Devil's Drop-off

I just went out to the mud caves this weekend and took a round-a-bout way that took us by a steep trail which I was told is called the Devil's Dropoff. It is off the Arroyo Del Dialbo trail and looks pretty severe. I was told that it is not climbable except with locking axles. Based on my (somewhat limited) experience, I thought it could be had with the right tires and skill....
Anyone got any say on this?

borrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Have not been out there since the last couple of rain storms so it depends. I have seen that part of the trail as a massive dune or a climb up loose gravel. The last few times it was no challenge at all but there has almost certainly been recent washout.

this is the lower part in may 2008

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
borrego
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It didn't look much worse to me than the Jasper Trail off the 78, just longer. I guess you could always go down and try to go back up and then if ya don't make it, just drive out the other way....... sure looks tempting, but I'll wait until I have new tires.
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a million wheeling pictures but could not find any of the "hard" parts. There are a few guys that still insist that trail is one way only; going down. But really no matter what the condition of the trail going up is the only challenging part; after that there are a couple of rocks to get over then it's several miles of washboard out to Ocatillo Wells.

There are a couple of pretty steep climbs right before the top that could be a problem depending on how rutted they are. Good tires at a minimum.

Most of the group I have been with start at pinion mountain, thru the squeeze, heart attach hill then back up diablo drop off and back around to the S2 and home. Pinion Mtn trail has a couple of challenging parts but for the most part this circuit is a lot of dirt road with not much payoff.

The Squeeze.

Heart Attack Hill.

One of the climbs on the Pinion Trail.

Afterward.

Unread 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

This was one run from November 2010

Unread 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
StvDiego

I'm curious to see what the trail looks like now. The first time I went up the dropoff I was in the back of a CJ in the '70's, it really was the devils dropoff. Over the past few years it's mellowed out considerably.

My first TJ run up it took 5 or 6 tries, but it was basically trying to climb a giant sand dune with a 4-banger and factory gearing on 33's.

The key is speed, sorta. You need to have momentum going by the time you hit the turn to the right as you approach the top. At the very top there's been a dip right at the edge, the normal line was to the left for years, last time it was easier, and safer, to the left. 2hi has always worked well, unless you have an LS or Hemi swap, then you can 4lo all the way

And yeah, the right tires, and airing down, make all the difference. Give it a whirl, what's the worst that can happen
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
borrego
2003 TJ Wrangler 

wow, looks like I'm in for some good times! And I like the afterwards part, hehehe. As far as condition, i was out there last Saturday and it was hard packed but deeply rutted (at least near the top).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.