Corral Canyon Run - April 11th (Southeast of San Diego) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Corral Canyon Run - April 11th (Southeast of San Diego)

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky-71 View Post
You can get the Adventure pass at most outdoor stores. I have a REI nearby and usually just go there. For an extra $5 you can get a 2nd pass - handy sometimes.
Definitely get the second pass, well worth it

StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
ductape1000
Recently Flopped!!

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can get the Adventure pass at most outdoor stores. I have a REI nearby and usually just go there. For an extra $5 you can get a 2nd pass - handy sometimes.
I have a REI near me. When I go in there, will they know what I'm talking about when I ask for the Adventure Pass? Do I need it for a specific area or date? (Sorry for the newbie questions, but I think I'm not the only one!!)
ductape1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
Husky-71
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yup, they should. I've only had one check out counter person who didn't know about them. They asked someone else and were quickly shown where to get them (from somewhere behind the counter).

The passes are good for a year. You can Google forest adventure pass and get more info.

Here's link to a Wiki entry that describes them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...Adventure_Pass
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
Husky-71
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've got my own question. I'm thinking of purchasing a winch and bumper. I like the Warn Powerplant because it's a two bird/one stone solution, but is sure is big.

Doing some more homework in looking for bumpers, the Shrockworks mid length bumper seems pretty decent because it mounts the winch nice and low, but the delivery time is out to like three months now.

Any other suggestions?

And also, I'm curious about how often you guys end up needing a winch anyway?

If my jeeping turns out to be anything like my motorcyle riding, half the time I end up riding alone in fairly remote areas. It's pretty hard to get my trials bike stuck and mostly my worries are a mechanical failure or injury preventing me from getting out. So I have a Spot tracker to help with that.

While I've been riding bikes for a long time and generally know what I'm doing, I'm new to 4-wheeling and much more likely to get the jeep stuck I think.
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #20
ductape1000
Recently Flopped!!

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link! Good info.

Insert clever saying by someone well known here...

Under Re-construction.....
ductape1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #21
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My friend put the poweer plant on his TJ. He loves it, but the compressor went out and he had to take it back for repair. Took them a month, but it's as good as new again. It is tall for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJGuy View Post
I'm definitely trying to go to this one. My only worry is that I'm running a lot of stock drivetrain, I.E. D35 so if something breaks, I don't have new parts for it. Just help me take it easy and I'll be good!

Email sent to boss requesting Fri/Sat off.... I'd like to camp there if anyone else is interested
You live pretty close to me (Murrieta). If you break while I'm still there, I'm trailering mine. I could get you home, but you'd have to drive mine, provided I don't break also.
Think positive, give your Jeep a good checkup first, and take it slow and easy. A heavy right foot breaks stuff. Finesse it over the rocks.
So far it looks like I'm only there for the day. I sure hope that changes.

Oh... and the adventure passes are available at Big 5 Sporting Goods also.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #22
StvDiego

Quote:
I'm thinking of purchasing a winch and bumper...
I like the Powerplant, I just wish I could afford it, but any Watn winch is worth the money. The air up time is adequate, not omg I can't believe how fast it is, but it is quicker than a clamp on the battery or plug in the lighter pump. Get a good quality battery...

Some folks complain about them blocking airflow but I've been out in hot weather with folks that have them and they didn't have any probs. The ShrcokWorks bumper is pretty decent, I like the lights set in them

Disclaimer about wheeling alone goes here, followed by the do as I say not as I do disclaimer

I've had to use a winch once wheeling alone, it was worth the price I paid for it that day.

Other than that I use mine once or twice a year, just used it last weekend to haul someone up a climb. I'ts come in real handy for impromptu bodywork, yard work and stump pulling and hauling people out of the sand at Fiesta Island.

My feeling is that if you run in groups where others have winches they are a luxury. If you run alone or with someone without a winch, it gets paid for the first time you use it.
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
Jeebs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just realized that trip is scheduled for Easter weekend. Just putting this out there so everyone is aware.
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet. Go out the night before and hide some eggs.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, Betsy pointed that out to me. That's why it's probably only going to be a day trip for me, 'cuz I've got kids. They don't believe in the easter bunny anymore. I'm glad, 'cuz I was tired of wearing that bunny suit every year.
You should see me on ground hogs day.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #26
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you can also get your adventure pass at the ranger station in Alpine. you pass it on the way out if u take 8 east. you only need it if you are going to be camping or parking a tow rig at 4 corners while out wheeling. a one day pass costs 5 bucks. and co-incidentally, the fine for parking without a pass is also 5 bucks
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #27
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
You live pretty close to me (Murrieta). If you break while I'm still there, I'm trailering mine. I could get you home, but you'd have to drive mine, provided I don't break also.
Think positive, give your Jeep a good checkup first, and take it slow and easy. A heavy right foot breaks stuff. Finesse it over the rocks.
Hey that would work if absolutely needed. I'd fuel up your rig for you in return. I'm going out to Ana-crime on Tuesday, so I'll scrounge for an 8.8 while I'm at the Pick-Your-Part. That way I'd have backup... thanks Rick!

No reply yet from the boss, but if I have to I can shuffle shifts with someone else to have Sat off. My buddy's going to ride shotgun with me, trying to convince him to buy his own Jeep
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #28
StvDiego

Quote:
I'm going out to Ana-crime on Tuesday, so I'll scrounge for an 8.8 while I'm at the Pick-Your-Part. That way I'd have backup...
On that note; half-price this coming weekend at Ecology, 1/2 price at Pick Your Part in SD April 12-13. *.8's are always plentiful, <$130 complete out the door
Unread 03-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #29
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
1/2 price at all Pick Your Parts April 10-12. 8.8's are always plentiful, <$130 complete out the door
Edited from info on their website

Is that 130 before or after the 50% sale??
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #30
StvDiego

Quote:
Edited from info on their website

Is that 130 before or after the 50% sale??
After, I bought an 8.8 a couple pf months ago and it was just over $26.84 but by the time they added on state, local and federal tax, title, license, and dealer fees, disposal fees, core charge, yard fee, EPA fee, fifi and various and assorted charges and fees it came to just about $130

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.