Considering buying a Jeep and intrested in what the community is like - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Considering buying a Jeep and intrested in what the community is like

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
TheSarge0491

I am active duty military and plan to use navy fed for financing.

Jeep wave- got it I'm a sportbike rider so i know how that goes

Helping me blow my money- again sportbike rider and used to race them up at willow springs so I know all about this problem

Laughing at me when I get stuck- no worries as long as you pull my stuipd butt out. I actually plan to get a winch as soon as possible if i don't buy something with one.

Wrenching- no one has worked on one of my vehicles outside of an alignment since I have owned them. I enjoy doing my own work.

krughzn- Thank you I really like your set up as it's pretty much everything I have thought about doing. It's also inside my budget but I won't be home from deployment till almost the end of next month. If it's still around I really do plan to take a look at it. I do have a question for you though. What type of gas mileage do you get with that thing driving it around town? Whatever I buy will be my main vehicle. I ride my bicycle several times a week on the 28mi round trip to work and also ride the motorcycle from time to time. But I will want to take trips with the family in the jeep on the weekends alot of times.

TheSarge0491 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #17
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSarge0491 View Post
krughzn- Thank you I really like your set up as it's pretty much everything I have thought about doing.
Yep, Mike's TJ is built for top function and good looks in one package.

You will be hard pressed to find a Jeep as well kept, with extream attention to detail and workmanship as his is. A large portion of the work has been done by a true master at building Jeeps, more specifically, highly modified TJ's.

When shop owners have issues figuring things out, they look to the guy who built Mikes Jeep for answers.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
krughzn- Thank you I really like your set up as it's pretty much everything I have thought about doing. It's also inside my budget but I won't be home from deployment till almost the end of next month. If it's still around I really do plan to take a look at it. I do have a question for you though. What type of gas mileage do you get with that thing driving it around town? Whatever I buy will be my main vehicle. I ride my bicycle several times a week on the 28mi round trip to work and also ride the motorcycle from time to time. But I will want to take trips with the family in the jeep on the weekends alot of times.
I'm really not sure what gas mileage it's getting. I don't drive it enough to tell. I've probably only put 4k miles on it since I've had it. I know I can drive from El Cajon to Quail Valley (Murrieta) and back on 3/4 of a tank of gas.

It will be a great vehicle for the family. My family loves taking it out and spending the day together.

Stay safe over there, Sarge, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
marinelj

I have an 06 unlimited 4.0 6cyl on a 6" long arm susp, 35" tires, 4.88 gears and i average 14 mpg driving around base. If you buy one already built, make sure it is already regeared. I had a Cherokee with the same motor, 33" tires that still had stock 3.07 gearing, I was lucky to get 8 mpg...

Welcome to the forum man, once you buy one you won't regret it! It gets really addicting tho, I am on my 5th jeep!

Come back safe man!

Semper Fidelis!
marinelj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

After reading all these comments I feel like a grade A jerk for not calling Mike and offering him top dollar for his jeep.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #21
TheSarge0491

well if it's still there when i get back it may be my jeep!

I can live with 14mpg as I have a motorcycle and ride my bicycle quite abit.

marinelj are you up at Pendleton?
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #22
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well if it's still there when i get back it may be my jeep!

I can live with 14mpg as I have a motorcycle and ride my bicycle quite abit.

marinelj are you up at Pendleton?
The way the ECM is going, I may still have it when you get back. The third one the company sent me is no good either. I have another one coming next week from car-parts.com and if that fails, then I will bite the bullet and buy one from the dealer.
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
TheSarge0491

no bueno! Gremlins suck but electrical ones are the biggest PITA there is.

My last car was a Mustang GT that I chased a transmission gremlin in for 6 months. Mine was a manual but it would hum like there was a bad syncro or something. I took the damn thing out and had it apart 4 different times. I replaced half of the guts in it only to figure out that RTV had slipped into the case during a shifter install and had actually ground out .002 of the case and the play was just enough to start the wear process. After searching for a case in decent shape for another few months I just ended up replacing the whole darn thing since they no longer made cases. That car sat for 6 months outside of test drives to and from work to see if i fixed it.
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
StvDiego

Quote:
no bueno! Gremlins suck but electrical ones are the biggest PITA there is.
I'm fighting with my turn signals, there's a dead short somewhere and what a pain trying to find it.

Mike is lucky, it's a fairly straightforward ECM issue related to the auto swap, just has to breakdown and buy a new ECM and the problem will be solved

I hope to do the same swap towards the end of the year
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
AMCMasterTech
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm returning from deployment shortly and I've always been into motor sports. I've raced just motorcycles and cars but I have been thinking about getting into 4 wheeling so I can share my fun with the family more. I guess I am interested to find out what the community is like and where the family friendly places are. I've never done off roading before but my plan right now is around a TJ(Rubicon if i find the right one) with a 4-6 inch lift and 33-35 inch tires. I understand there is alot more that goes into it with winches, lockers, etc. I will want to start small and work my way up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some advice?
Welcome aboard, and safe travels home

Sounds like you have a good plan-of-attack. There's some nice rigs out there, and some just-outta-the-front-gate-E1/E3 stealership-pigs also. But you've connected with a cool group of folks that are networked well.

I wish you'd been a few weeks sooner; a friend of mine bought his neighbor's TJ for like $6500...had been very competently built-up. 2.5 OME, ox's front and rear, anti-rock, duratracs on fake chinese beadlocks, cb, on-board air....etc, and it daily-drove pretty good. Marine was deploying and just wanted out from under the payoff.

Anyhow, good luck and keep us informed.

Roy D. Chapin Jr.
AMCMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego View Post
I'm fighting with my turn signals, there's a dead short somewhere and what a pain trying to find it.

Mike is lucky, it's a fairly straightforward ECM issue related to the auto swap, just has to breakdown and buy a new ECM and the problem will be solved

I hope to do the same swap towards the end of the year
Yeah, it's not a gremlin. I know exactly what the problem is, I just need to deal with a different compancy. Auto Computer Exchange sucks. DON'T use them when you do your swap.

I figured you were getting ready for the swap when I saw you were looking for 4.56 gears.
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
StvDiego

I'm sorta collecting bits and pieces as I go along, have the shifter, indicator, piecews and parts, oh, I also have the correct ECM

The gears are for another HP30 I'm putting together, I already have a TJ D44 with 4:56's sitting in the yard so I'll do something with it...
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The more I think of it, the more and more I realized that Jeeping is more or less like so:

On our own, we're a bunch of free and independent, intelligent people whom can fix anything if we put our minds to it. However, get a group of us together and we all turn into a bunch of goofballs who can never seem to accomplish a whole lot, often resulting in shenanigans or general goon-ery

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #29
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StvDiego
I'm sorta collecting bits and pieces as I go along, have the shifter, indicator, piecews and parts, oh, I also have the correct ECM

The gears are for another HP30 I'm putting together, I already have a TJ D44 with 4:56's sitting in the yard so I'll do something with it...
Where did you get the ECM?
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #30
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
Where did you get the ECM?
Did ya see that thread about the TJ that wouldn't start

But seriously folks, eBay, $30 delivered

The auto swap has taken a low priority for now. First up is installing a new clutch and flywheel, fabbing a new rear crossmember, rebuilding the rear frame-side UCA mounts, Savvy armor, beadlocks, dumping some weight, change the bumpers, install the OBA, ponder the axle situation, fix those stupid turn signals

and that's the short list

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.