Considering buying a Jeep and intrested in what the community is like - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Considering buying a Jeep and intrested in what the community is like

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
TheSarge0491

Considering buying a Jeep and intrested in what the community is like

I'm returning from deployment shortly and I've always been into motor sports. I've raced just motorcycles and cars but I have been thinking about getting into 4 wheeling so I can share my fun with the family more. I guess I am interested to find out what the community is like and where the family friendly places are. I've never done off roading before but my plan right now is around a TJ(Rubicon if i find the right one) with a 4-6 inch lift and 33-35 inch tires. I understand there is alot more that goes into it with winches, lockers, etc. I will want to start small and work my way up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some advice?

TheSarge0491 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

DON'T DO IT. RUN AWAY.

Everyone around here is a bunch of jerks who keep forcing me to spend money on "upgrades" to my jeep!!!!!11!!

Now that's out of the way.

I would probably come out a few times and ride along to see what it's all about. Some like dunes, rock crawling or fire roads. Some like to just go out for the day and others, like myself, like to center it around camping.

Don't buy or build anything until you have a least sort of a plan.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome. Hmmm TJ Rubicon, sounds like an excellent way to start. If you start out with a stocker, you can with some trail rides under your belt, determine what mods will best suit your particular needs. If you are looking for something already modified stick around here for a while and ask questions.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
TheSarge0491

I am kinda hoping to find something already put together that will suit my needs. I have been doing quite abit of research on it and it really seems 6 inch long arm is the way to go for a go anywhere jeep for the average guy. I don't expect to do any extreme crawling as it will be a DD as well. I want to be able to center it around camping for the most part but I would like to be able to go out for the day with one of my kids or wife as well. I'm pretty confident I can do all of the mods needed myself or with abit of help from someone who's done it before but buying one already set up will save me a ton of cash.

My list of what I think I need to get going is below. Let me know if I'm missing things that are specific to the area. I plan to add to this list as I go.

6" long arm lift
currie anti-rock
aftermarket bumpers w/ rescue points and swing out tire carrier
winch
soft top? not 100% on this yet but seems like the best option
underbelly skid plates
35's(not sure what design works the best for the area) and new rims with the correct back spacing
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You might want to look into a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee if camping is in your future. They can be built up or bought to tackle what you want. Here is a picture of my old Grand Cherokee and what can be done to them.

PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
TheSarge0491

although I have no doubt in the Cherokee's abilities it simply does not appeal to me. I almost bought one before but ended up with a liberty instead. Personally I want to go topless
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
StvDiego

If you're set on a Wrangler Jeff has the best advice, go out and ride with someone, decide what you actually want to do and then get a build plan together. The Rubi's are nice, very capable, take a look at an Unlimited.

However, for the price of a Rubicon you might consider this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/.../#post13446861

An exceptionally well-built Jeep, very capable of safely running anything you can throw at it and you're going to spend close to that on a late-model Rubi anyway. It would be hard to buy and build a Jeep for that price.
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
TheSarge0491

i definitely plan on taking a look at the unlimited. Although i like the look of the shorter one better the extra cargo space and leg room for the kids appeals to me quite abit. I can do alot with 10 extra inches of storage, however I'm pretty handy and have several old ammo cans laying around(perks of the job) and can fab some storage pretty quickly. That jeep you listed is also on craigslist. I found it the other day and while it does indeed fit into my budget I have a hard time even taking a serious look at it due to the salvage title. I do not know to much about salvage titles and how it will affect insurance. If you guys know anything about that please share your insight with me.
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
StvDiego

Not sure about insurance although I do know mike had it insured. The only issue I've run across is financing, some places will, some won't. When I bought my Jeep the paperwork from NavyFed specifically mentioned salvage titles, they would fiance on a case-by-case basis

Might get a hold of Mike (the owner of that one) and see how the insurance worked. He's selling that one because he bought another Jeep that is also a salvage title, maybe he knows something we don
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
krughzn
Welcome to The Rock

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Steve for pimping my ride.

The salvage title never bothered me because I never planned on selling the Jeep in the first place. That's why I spent so much modifying it. I'm taking a bit of a loss selling it because of the salvaged title. The frame and body are straight and it rides perfectly. As far as insurance goes, I have full coverage with USAA with a replacement value of 19k if it gets stolen. I'm paying about the same price for the insurance as I did on my last 2003 Chevy Alvalanche. I'm not sure about financing, since I did not finance the Jeep.

OP, I think you should still come by and give it a test drive. At the very least, you will have something to compare it with to the other Jeeps you test drive.
krughzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
nuthead
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have driven Krughzn's Jeep and can tell you it is a very nice Jeep. You wouldn't even know it had a Salvaged title by looking at or driving it. If I was in the market I would consider it cause it is built right and I am VERY PICKY.
Unread 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Rrw600
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sarge, welcome to the forum. Heed jeffs advice, run away. the guys on this forum do nothing but help when you need it, give great advice, and find nothing more entertaining than watching you get stuck and then making fun of you. Seriously though, the people on here have been great.

I picked up a tj a little over a yr ago. One of the drawbacks when camping is the lack of storage and passenger space. I,ve got several kids and the extra space would be nice. I,ve gotten to towing a small trailer to pack all the stuff.

We started stock on 31's and now are up to 3" of lift and 33's. just remember the higher andbigger you go the worse gas mileage you are going to get and less pleasant it is as a DD. We,ve taken it just about any where i,ve wanted to go.

No matter what you think now this jeep thing really is an addiction. Before you know it you be modding it. Welcome to the asylum.
Rrw600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Few things:

-Wrangler and Cherokee guys are always arguing over which is the best Jeep. However we all know that real Jeeps have frames and tub bodies, so Cherokees are out.
-Learn what the "Jeep Wave" is. It's in the official handbook
-Get yourself a good set of tools, if you don't already have one. Wrenching on your Jeep is quite literally half the fun.

We're all like family here, even the occasional cocky kid. Welcome to the fun/madness

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrw600 View Post
the guys on this forum do nothing but help when you need it, give great advice, and find nothing more entertaining than watching you get stuck and then making fun of you.
Especially that last part

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
PR1AWRet
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If I could have gotten a Wrangler with a hard top when I got the Cherokee 2 years ago that would have been a no brainer. 4K doesn't get you much Wrangler compared to a Cherokee though. An Unlimited would be nice to have. If you are Military or was, Navy Fed gives loans on older used cars.
PR1AWRet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.