broken ARB bolts. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > broken ARB bolts.

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #31
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I got home this morning from work and went out to the garage and tried getting those bolts out w/o having to get the whole locker out of the diff. I got one of the 3 out w/just a pick and a LOT of patience. The other two, well it's a different story. The one I got out had a nice rise on one side of the bolt to work with. The other 2 are snapped clean and are recessed a little more into the bolt hole. Also the one I pulled out had lock-tite but the bolt must of worked loose a little before it snapped. The others didnt work loose at all. SOOOO, good news is that i can probably get a drill bit on the hardened bolts and try to get a hole started down the middle for an ez out. gonna be tight and i'll probably goof up the arb cosmetically doing so but its better than the alternative. Here's todays pride and job

Unread 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #32
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
Well, I got home this morning from work and went out to the garage and tried getting those bolts out w/o having to get the whole locker out of the diff. I got one of the 3 out w/just a pick and a LOT of patience. The other two, well it's a different story. The one I got out had a nice rise on one side of the bolt to work with. The other 2 are snapped clean and are recessed a little more into the bolt hole. Also the one I pulled out had lock-tite but the bolt must of worked loose a little before it snapped. The others didnt work loose at all. SOOOO, good news is that i can probably get a drill bit on the hardened bolts and try to get a hole started down the middle for an ez out. gonna be tight and i'll probably goof up the arb cosmetically doing so but its better than the alternative. Here's todays pride and job
Nice.

Try it with a left handed drill bit. Sometimes you can get lucky and walk them out.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Today is my friday and since I work graveyards I wont mess w/it anymore until tomorrow evening when I wake up .... I have dog crap near vision so it's kinda hard to see what the heck Im doing. I'll go over to lowes and buy a lefty tomorrow... Its a super tight fit w/my cordless drill and have to get it at a slight angle. A 90 degree air drill would be best but i dont have the luxury.
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #34
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
Today is my friday and since I work graveyards I wont mess w/it anymore until tomorrow evening when I wake up .... I have dog crap near vision so it's kinda hard to see what the heck Im doing. I'll go over to lowes and buy a lefty tomorrow... Its a super tight fit w/my cordless drill and have to get it at a slight angle. A 90 degree air drill would be best but i dont have the luxury.
HF has them cheap
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i have a great set of extraction tools, left hand drill bits etc and a drill press. let me know if you want to come over and have it a go in my garage. have you pulled the carrier or are you attempting to do this while its still in the axle?
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The goal is to not have to take it out off the housing. It's driveable. I just lockout the hubs.pm me your address. I'm off the next 3 days starting tomorrow.
Unread 02-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

sent
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #38
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

cool. I'll call ya tomorrow . Im in mission valley just east of qualcomm..
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #39
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok. i'm just up the hill from ya
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #40
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I just f'd myself. I was trying to get the two other bolts out. drill into the center of them, put an extract in one of them, turned on it and the god damn extractor snapped . now im screwed . only option is to pull the carrier out.
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #41
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

hey dude, post a picture of that thing
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #42
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i will tomorrow. Its getting dark and i had put the diff cover on already....
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #43
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bummer.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #44
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

dropping the dime on a 79 F250 HP44 center section with Currie welding on the tubes, 4.88's, 30 spline ARB, 4340 axles, JJ's, Currie bracketry, and gear setup for about 800 more than if I did a HP30 the way I want it.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #45
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Good plan!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.