broken ARB bolts. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > broken ARB bolts.

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thinking about this truss http://ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=XDT , plus internal sleeves, plus welded C's and chromo axles....

Unread 02-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I can't speak for their truss, but I have their track bar, TB bracket and pitman and can say the quality is good especially for the price. I'm not to sold on their LA kit though...that caster adjuster cam thing they have on the upper link frightens me lol
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #18
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Truss is super nice but the price is 1/3 of the total build. Maybe Joe can hook me up with his fabrication magic and do mine the way his is. Hint hint. I sourced a 79 f250 Hp44 locally out of a junker but after pricing the whole enchilada its still double the Hp30 build. Money saved can go to outboards and a 4 link rear. I just won't have any bragging rights about a beef cake front end is all..
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Building a truss for your D30 shouldn't be too much trouble.

The HPD30 truss pics I posted earlier, are now being sported on Chris' YJ ('92 vegas YJ) in Jacksonvill, NC.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...5/index15.html
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I tend to agree here...if you have the tools and more importantly the time, you could build one and save yourself quite a bit of coin and have something every bit as strong
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with DIY savings, but that truss looks pretty cool.
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

WOWAmazing customer service! I just got off the phone with ARB. I said I need to order 3 of those bolts that I sheared off on my RD30 locker. He said, ok no problem. Whats your name and address. I gave it. Then I was expecting him to ask for a credit card number. Instead he says, Ok Kevin, we will get those shipped out to you tomorrow at no cost and no shipping fee. Have a great day.......... MY JAW DROPPED.. Ive NEVER had a manufacturer do that. AWESOME Customer Service. They could of easily charged me 5.00 a bolt or 7, the way RE does...
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

NICE!! good to know!
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
WOWAmazing customer service! I just got off the phone with ARB. I said I need to order 3 of those bolts that I sheared off on my RD30 locker. He said, ok no problem. Whats your name and address. I gave it. Then I was expecting him to ask for a credit card number. Instead he says, Ok Kevin, we will get those shipped out to you tomorrow at no cost and no shipping fee. Have a great day.......... MY JAW DROPPED.. Ive NEVER had a manufacturer do that. AWESOME Customer Service. They could of easily charged me 5.00 a bolt or 7, the way RE does...
That is good news. I wonder if it makes sense to replace all of them?

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #25
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered 6 even though I needed 3. My logic is the same. Jeff, I understand it's easy to get the carrier/locker out, but when I put it back in do I have to recheck backlash and all that good stuff? That in which comes the ignorance. Im gonna see if I can just removed the 3 other bolts w/o taking the locker out and slipping the cover back to get at the sheared bolts, then pull then out and just bolt all the new ones in. It would be MUCH easier. So easy that it probably wont be able to be done..
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #26
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenujoint View Post
I ordered 6 even though I needed 3. My logic is the same. Jeff, I understand it's easy to get the carrier/locker out, but when I put it back in do I have to recheck backlash and all that good stuff? That in which comes the ignorance. Im gonna see if I can just removed the 3 other bolts w/o taking the locker out and slipping the cover back to get at the sheared bolts, then pull then out and just bolt all the new ones in. It would be MUCH easier. So easy that it probably wont be able to be done..
As long as the same shims go back in the same place there is no issue with the gear pattern. Since the heads are off and all the tension is off those three bolts they might just come right out, unless they have locktite.
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just dont want to take the 3 other bolts off, try to back the cylinder cap off enough to get at the bolts to turn them off and have the diaphram, piston and u ring go retarded on me.
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #28
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The preload on the ARB carrier *should* be pretty high. In other words, you may have a hard time getting it out unless (like I mentioned earlier) the initial preload was set too low.

If the preload is set too low- the new bolts *may* suffer the same consequence.

If you don't need a carrier/case spreader to get the ARB out (and more importantly, back in) I'd suspect that the preload will be too low while going back in. In other words.....you *may* need to add some carrier preload, and if you do, that means more carrier shims & a pattern check.

Taylor & I built a D30 case spreader. If he still has it, he may let you borrow it.

I'm not saying that for sure you'll need one - just saying that I feel you may to get the preload high enough.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #29
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
The preload on the ARB carrier *should* be pretty high. In other words, you may have a hard time getting it out unless (like I mentioned earlier) the initial preload was set too low.

If the preload is set too low- the new bolts *may* suffer the same consequence.

If you don't need a carrier/case spreader to get the ARB out (and more importantly, back in) I'd suspect that the preload will be too low while going back in. In other words.....you *may* need to add some carrier preload, and if you do, that means more carrier shims & a pattern check.

Taylor & I built a D30 case spreader. If he still has it, he may let you borrow it.

I'm not saying that for sure you'll need one - just saying that I feel you may to get the preload high enough.
Good point Joe. I have only had a few give me trouble coming out but we took premo's out last week and it almost fell after taking the bearing caps off. If it's tight to get out then getting it back in could be a challenge without a case spreader. You never know.
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
brokenujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok, this might turn into a mess so what I'm gonna do is attempt to extract the sheared bolts Wednesday. If I can't then Im just going to not engage my locker until I get it out and in to my HP30 swap at which time I'll have a gear shop do the work. No point taking it out, monkeying it back in just to have it done again in a few months. I appreciate the insight guys. I figured as much about the pre-load. Ive read from ARB's instruction manual that you want to get the preload as tight as motherly possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.