Big Bear Trip Oct 2010 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Big Bear Trip Oct 2010

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Reply
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #31
jeepnkal
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think we should definitly do it in the opposite direction this time, last time we had 11 jeeps and never broke out a winch that just aint right.
cough cough.....ZJ......cough cough

jeepnkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
Motorep
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You guys doing John Bull? As in definitely?
I'm pushing for Mottino so John Bull is ok too. What way do you consider the proper way Jerry? Last time I did it we started at the Gate Keeper and went from there.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:33 AM   #33
LVLF4LO
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vegas
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think we should definitly do it in the opposite direction this time, last time we had 11 jeeps and never broke out a winch that just aint right.
Twice, white YJ, right b4 the gate keeper, on that flat looking rock
__________________
5.5", 33's, 4.88's, Locked 8.25
sieze the carpe
.40
LVLF4LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #34
Chris
Guy with jeep
 
Chris's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wildomar/ Big Bear, CA
Posts: 2,537
Those two times don't count, it makes it sound better in my head.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #35
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,716
We only used the winch because everyone had a sore back from rock stacking and we were in a hurry to get back to camp before the beer got warm.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #36
Chris
Guy with jeep
 
Chris's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wildomar/ Big Bear, CA
Posts: 2,537
Just for the record we were taking rocks away to make it more difficult.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #37
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
I'm pushing for Mottino so John Bull is ok too. What way do you consider the proper way Jerry? Last time I did it we started at the Gate Keeper and went from there.
From the Gate Keeper is the actual John Bull trail, if we're talking about the same Gate Keeper I'm thinking of. John Bull East takes a different route, I wish they'd stop calling the one called John Bull East because it's not John Bull at all.

I've gone up there twice to do John Bull but still have not done all of John Bull. The first time, we only did the trail some call John Bull East which is easy. The last attempt to do JB was a few months ago. I only made it a half-mile past the Gate Keeper before I had to turn around because no one else in my group could get past the Gate Keeper or was even willing to try. I am anxious to do the entire John Bull one of these days... at least once I get a job and can afford the gas up there and back. My company just shut its doors last month.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #38
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
From the Gate Keeper is the actual John Bull trail, if we're talking about the same Gate Keeper I'm thinking of. John Bull East takes a different route, I wish they'd stop calling the one called John Bull East because it's not John Bull at all.

I've gone up there twice to do John Bull but still have not done all of John Bull. The first time, we only did the trail some call John Bull East which is easy. The last attempt to do JB was a few months ago. I only made it a half-mile past the Gate Keeper before I had to turn around because no one else in my group could get past the Gate Keeper or was even willing to try. I am anxious to do the entire John Bull one of these days... at least once I get a job and can afford the gas up there and back. My company just shut its doors last month.
Dang Jerry, you have not had a lucky year; jobs or jeeps.

Did you see this, it's the route we took - east to west.

__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #39
Motorep
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
From the Gate Keeper is the actual John Bull trail, if we're talking about the same Gate Keeper I'm thinking of. John Bull East takes a different route, I wish they'd stop calling the one called John Bull East because it's not John Bull at all.

I've gone up there twice to do John Bull but still have not done all of John Bull. The first time, we only did the trail some call John Bull East which is easy. The last attempt to do JB was a few months ago. I only made it a half-mile past the Gate Keeper before I had to turn around because no one else in my group could get past the Gate Keeper or was even willing to try. I am anxious to do the entire John Bull one of these days... at least once I get a job and can afford the gas up there and back. My company just shut its doors last month.
I guess my idea of tough is way off since I thought John Bull was easy. The Gate Keeper wasn't a challenge at all and we even had a guy with open diffs and 31's make it. Of course his run was a great imitation of a pin ball machine but he made it. I think going up the Bronco Peak connector in Corral Canyon is way harder than anything I've seen so far in the Big Bear area. I'm still waiting to do Mottino though.

You're more than welcome to join us. I know Chris is game so you'll have a couple of rigs willing to run it.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #40
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
I guess my idea of tough is way off since I thought John Bull was easy. The Gate Keeper wasn't a challenge at all and we even had a guy with open diffs and 31's make it. Of course his run was a great imitation of a pin ball machine but he made it. I think going up the Bronco Peak connector in Corral Canyon is way harder than anything I've seen so far in the Big Bear area. I'm still waiting to do Mottino though.

You're more than welcome to join us. I know Chris is game so you'll have a couple of rigs willing to run it.
I didn't say I thought it was tough, my Jeep walked right over the Gate Keeper area without problem and it wasn't difficult for my TJ at all. The others in my group just couldn't make it past the Gate Keeper since they only had lightly modified Jeeps. One guy really tried but just couldn't get past that opening part. I've done trails out in Johnson Valley like Sledgehammer but I've just never done John Bull so I'd at least like to do the entire JB trail at some point. Especially since I don't wheel up in the mountains all that much which makes for a nice change from my usual desert wheeling.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #41
Motorep
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I didn't say I thought it was tough, my Jeep walked right over the Gate Keeper area without problem and it wasn't difficult for my TJ at all. The others in my group just couldn't make it past the Gate Keeper since they only had lightly modified Jeeps. One guy really tried but just couldn't get past that opening part. I've done trails out in Johnson Valley like Sledgehammer but I've just never done John Bull so I'd at least like to do the entire JB trail at some point. Especially since I don't wheel up in the mountains all that much which makes for a nice change from my usual desert wheeling.
No, I was referring to your group and others that think it's hard. I'm familiar with the trails you run so we probably share the same thoughts on it.

Again, come on up and join us for this trip. I'm guessing we'll run the Bull on Saturday since it will take the most time.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #42
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,716
Where is Gatekeeper? Looking at my map again I'm thinking we must have gone west to east, unless I mis marked the "first obstacle"
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #43
Motorep
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Where is Gatekeeper? Looking at my map again I'm thinking we must have gone west to east, unless I mis marked the "first obstacle"
I have pics but I've never tried to upload any to JF. I also have some on my Facebook page as well. Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send them.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #44
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,219
Here are a few of the Gatekeeper opening to John Bull. That's my black TJ coming back down after no one else could make it past the opening.
img_0981.jpg   img_0998.jpg   img_1001.jpg   img_1007.jpg  
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #45
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Here are a few of the Gatekeeper opening to John Bull. That's my black TJ coming back down after no one else could make it past the opening.
That's where we exited.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.