Big Bear Trip Oct 2010 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > SanDiego > Big Bear Trip Oct 2010

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #31
jeepnkal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think we should definitly do it in the opposite direction this time, last time we had 11 jeeps and never broke out a winch that just aint right.
cough cough.....ZJ......cough cough

jeepnkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You guys doing John Bull? As in definitely?
I'm pushing for Mottino so John Bull is ok too. What way do you consider the proper way Jerry? Last time I did it we started at the Gate Keeper and went from there.
Motorep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:33 AM   #33
LVLF4LO
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think we should definitly do it in the opposite direction this time, last time we had 11 jeeps and never broke out a winch that just aint right.
Twice, white YJ, right b4 the gate keeper, on that flat looking rock
LVLF4LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #34
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Those two times don't count, it makes it sound better in my head.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #35
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

We only used the winch because everyone had a sore back from rock stacking and we were in a hurry to get back to camp before the beer got warm.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #36
Chris
Guy with jeep

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just for the record we were taking rocks away to make it more difficult.
Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #37
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
I'm pushing for Mottino so John Bull is ok too. What way do you consider the proper way Jerry? Last time I did it we started at the Gate Keeper and went from there.
From the Gate Keeper is the actual John Bull trail, if we're talking about the same Gate Keeper I'm thinking of. John Bull East takes a different route, I wish they'd stop calling the one called John Bull East because it's not John Bull at all.

I've gone up there twice to do John Bull but still have not done all of John Bull. The first time, we only did the trail some call John Bull East which is easy. The last attempt to do JB was a few months ago. I only made it a half-mile past the Gate Keeper before I had to turn around because no one else in my group could get past the Gate Keeper or was even willing to try. I am anxious to do the entire John Bull one of these days... at least once I get a job and can afford the gas up there and back. My company just shut its doors last month.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #38
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
From the Gate Keeper is the actual John Bull trail, if we're talking about the same Gate Keeper I'm thinking of. John Bull East takes a different route, I wish they'd stop calling the one called John Bull East because it's not John Bull at all.

I've gone up there twice to do John Bull but still have not done all of John Bull. The first time, we only did the trail some call John Bull East which is easy. The last attempt to do JB was a few months ago. I only made it a half-mile past the Gate Keeper before I had to turn around because no one else in my group could get past the Gate Keeper or was even willing to try. I am anxious to do the entire John Bull one of these days... at least once I get a job and can afford the gas up there and back. My company just shut its doors last month.
Dang Jerry, you have not had a lucky year; jobs or jeeps.

Did you see this, it's the route we took - east to west.

Unread 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #39
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I guess my idea of tough is way off since I thought John Bull was easy. The Gate Keeper wasn't a challenge at all and we even had a guy with open diffs and 31's make it. Of course his run was a great imitation of a pin ball machine but he made it. I think going up the Bronco Peak connector in Corral Canyon is way harder than anything I've seen so far in the Big Bear area. I'm still waiting to do Mottino though.

You're more than welcome to join us. I know Chris is game so you'll have a couple of rigs willing to run it.
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #40
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorep View Post
I guess my idea of tough is way off since I thought John Bull was easy. The Gate Keeper wasn't a challenge at all and we even had a guy with open diffs and 31's make it. Of course his run was a great imitation of a pin ball machine but he made it. I think going up the Bronco Peak connector in Corral Canyon is way harder than anything I've seen so far in the Big Bear area. I'm still waiting to do Mottino though.

You're more than welcome to join us. I know Chris is game so you'll have a couple of rigs willing to run it.
I didn't say I thought it was tough, my Jeep walked right over the Gate Keeper area without problem and it wasn't difficult for my TJ at all. The others in my group just couldn't make it past the Gate Keeper since they only had lightly modified Jeeps. One guy really tried but just couldn't get past that opening part. I've done trails out in Johnson Valley like Sledgehammer but I've just never done John Bull so I'd at least like to do the entire JB trail at some point. Especially since I don't wheel up in the mountains all that much which makes for a nice change from my usual desert wheeling.

Unread 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #41
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't say I thought it was tough, my Jeep walked right over the Gate Keeper area without problem and it wasn't difficult for my TJ at all. The others in my group just couldn't make it past the Gate Keeper since they only had lightly modified Jeeps. One guy really tried but just couldn't get past that opening part. I've done trails out in Johnson Valley like Sledgehammer but I've just never done John Bull so I'd at least like to do the entire JB trail at some point. Especially since I don't wheel up in the mountains all that much which makes for a nice change from my usual desert wheeling.
No, I was referring to your group and others that think it's hard. I'm familiar with the trails you run so we probably share the same thoughts on it.

Again, come on up and join us for this trip. I'm guessing we'll run the Bull on Saturday since it will take the most time.
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #42
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where is Gatekeeper? Looking at my map again I'm thinking we must have gone west to east, unless I mis marked the "first obstacle"
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #43
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Where is Gatekeeper? Looking at my map again I'm thinking we must have gone west to east, unless I mis marked the "first obstacle"
I have pics but I've never tried to upload any to JF. I also have some on my Facebook page as well. Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send them.
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #44
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a few of the Gatekeeper opening to John Bull. That's my black TJ coming back down after no one else could make it past the opening.
img_0981.jpg   img_0998.jpg   img_1001.jpg   img_1007.jpg  

Unread 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #45
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here are a few of the Gatekeeper opening to John Bull. That's my black TJ coming back down after no one else could make it past the opening.
That's where we exited.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.